House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Have been looking at the Cooper amendment - in disbelief really - and see that the nine month extension is just a space-holding date. So likely it will be moved forward to end of June, as the EU were mooting a week or two ago. So another three months.

The MEP elections might seem like a distant, EU concern, but imagine if leaving is delayed and MPs are still obfuscating/dithering in June and we get offered Euro elections...they could turn into a proxy referendum on attitudes to EU.

There's been a lot of talk about the backstop in last day or two, but I'd be surprised if Bercow selects the time limit amendment for a vote - might give May some leverage - and more likely that Cooper's amendment goes through.

At that point if the EU won't shift on the backstop I think we'll get the GE.

HOLA444
3 hours ago, thehowler said:

Sounds like the new ROI govt position on border planning is to...er...not talk about it.

Irish voters waking up to the fact that their govt hardball could mean a hard wall...sorry.

https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/you-are-treating-us-as-if-we-are-stupid-minister-refuses-to-answer-questions-on-plans-for-hard-border-37740349.html

Irish voters didn’t vote for Brexit. Why should a wall be forced upon them at the behest of others?

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
23 minutes ago, thehowler said:

The MEP elections might seem like a distant, EU concern, but imagine if leaving is delayed and MPs are still obfuscating/dithering in June and we get offered Euro elections...they could turn into a proxy referendum on attitudes to EU

Which is why the EU said they won't give a short extension

HOLA4413
10 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

Brexit: Dutch government says over 250 companies in talks about relocating to Netherlands | The Independent

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-netherlands-sony-company-relocating-ema-trade-investment-eu-a8742756.html

Wow. I think that we can all agree here that that’s a lot of companies, jobs, and employment about to vanish. Extrapolating this further, I wonder how many of the other 26 EU have other companies talking to them about relocating. Not to worry, at least you’ll have your blue passports, eh?

Drip drip...

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
28 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

And Northern Irish voters didn't vote for Brexit either.  It completely undermines the peace process for Britain to impose that the people of Ireland don't want.

Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom; and the leave vote is for the UK as a whole and not for regions. Under the GFA Belfast Agreement peace process, Northern Ireland are free to leave the union.

HOLA4416
24 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Wow. I think that we can all agree here that that’s a lot of companies, jobs, and employment about to vanish. Extrapolating this further, I wonder how many of the other 26 EU have other companies talking to them about relocating. Not to worry, at least you’ll have your blue passports, eh?

Drip drip...

1500 international companies have their EU headquarters in the UK and will obviously have to relocate.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
6 minutes ago, ****-eyed octopus said:

Talk to the EU, 'cause the UK ain't listening.

EU is not building any walls and are trying to come up to solutions for Brexit nonsense

Btw tell us how you voted take back control of borders and then not actually control your border,  or will UK react to being told by WTO to police their borders

Edited by yelims

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/david-davis-rake-3000-hour-13898396

Hold on, didn’t JCB boss advocate Leave? 

Didn’t BoJo speak there about Brexit last week?

And now former Brexit secretary that’s up an £3000/hour advisory role. 

My spidey senses are tingling. The UK is getting poorer while the Brexit elites scratch each other’s backs. 

Drip drip...

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Irish voters didn’t vote for Brexit. Why should a wall be forced upon them at the behest of others?

The Irish government doesn't want a hard border and nor does the UK government - the EU has said there must be one.

NI and the Republic are different countries - and from 1922 to 1992 (when the EU was created) there were customs controls and an effective hard border. Seemed to work for at least 45 of those 70 years just fine - as there were no troubles!

Its also Ireland's choice to remain in the EU - and the UK's collective choice not too!

HOLA4424
1 hour ago, Peter Hun said:

Which is why the EU said they won't give a short extension

They can easily give a short extension until the end of June (for more parliamentary time to ratify the deal) - as the new MEPs don't sit until July even if they are elected in May. They have made allowances and not allocated all the UK's MEPs - so they can be accommodated.

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Drip drip...

There are around 6 million companies in Britain - potentially even more SMEs. 250 is not exactly material - and talking and doing (as our MPs) demonstrate isn't quite the same.