House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

10 minutes ago, Ballyk said:

Probably best for Parliament to have a vote.  

They will be able to reflect on economic developments since the referendum, and make a decision that is in the best interests of the country.

Screw the economics, I'd rather be 50% poorer and live in a sovereign nation with proper border controls.

• Replies 147.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GrizzlyDave

• Confusion of VIs

• thehowler

• jonb2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do.   https://twitter.com/housepricemania

1409 pages....you guys should have your own forum !!!

Oh OK. Shame that really, but hey it looks like @IMHAL helped us both out. Nice repost though, thanks ! Any thoughts ?  

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

The EU also facilitates small-scale.  For example it provides a framework in which smaller countries like Scotland can become sovereign while still operating within a stable, larger single market.  If there were no EU, you would instead have a large German block, a large French block and a large Russian block.

You're straying into what it should be rather than what it is. If it was what I think it should be then I'd have voted Remain. What it should be is a fairly loose organisation that has no impact whatsoever on internal affairs (there's always indirect impact but it shouldn't have any authority there) and largely serves just as means of organising international areas of common interest. No central bank, not much in the way of government, no laws that have any direct domestic impact (a lot of laws to be ditched and a lot of the remaining ones should be standards instead, which would be of no direct relevence to anyone operating purely internally to a particular country). No ambitions towards statehood, no ever-closer integration (a lot of what we've already got needs reversing).

Edited by Riedquat
3 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

The EU also facilitates small-scale.  For example it provides a framework in which smaller countries like Scotland can become sovereign while still operating within a stable, larger single market.  If there were no EU, you would instead have a large German block, a large French block and a large Russian block.

The Spanish don't agree... 

3 minutes ago, callaght said:

The judge: -

Lord Chief Justice Lord Thomas

Roger John Laugharne Thomas, Baron Thomas of Cwmgiedd (that's Welsh)

Thomas is one of the Founding Members of the European Law Institute - The European Law Institute (ELI) is an independent non-profit organisation established to initiate, conduct and facilitate research, make recommendations and provide practical guidance in the field of European legal development with a goal of enhancing the European legal integration

----

works for EU.  Makes sense

Isn't this a conflict of interest?

29 minutes ago, Errol said:

I will be up around Parliament protesting if they dare to try anything. I've never protested in my life but would do in this instance - and there are hundreds of thousands like me.

Parliament would be surrounded on the day of the vote. There will be mass civil unrest.

+ 2 will be there too.

6 minutes ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

+1

However, the SNP and London MP's will see things differently...

Irrelevant. Brexit won with a 250+ seat majority (the vote was broken down into constituencies, conveniently). All MPs should vote to give effect to the wishes of their constituency. If that happens Brexit would win with a 250+ vote majority.

7 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Screw the economics, I'd rather be 50% poorer and live in a sovereign nation with proper border controls.

+1 plus most Europeans now want their countries back. We want a Europe for Europeans not the EU.

4 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

I'm against an organisation that regards its members as existing for it instead of it existing for them. I'm opposed to anything that increases large-scale. I'm against anything that in any way, shape, or form contributes towards population increase in the UK. I'm against the lack of democracy in it (what there is of it in the EU lies in the wrong place). I'm against further integration (less of that, not more).

How can you stomach that?

Eh? What... do you support a eugenics programme then? How do you think the UK should deal with people having families and children? Or just organic growth?

We used to deal with population surges by offloading folk abroad, starving them off the land, or sending them to war.

None of these Brexit arguments will do anything to curtail population growth.

That time has passed.

And this lack of democracy argument of yours. You are aware that our economy and government  is so inextricably linked to other 'democratic' nations which are all in fact constantly spinning laws that protect corporate interests? Laws which grant disproportionate rights to those that are not subject, and those who may not even have ever set foot in the UK?

What was democratic about Blair bombing Iraq into the stone age whilst millions marched and challenged the bogus assertions that this slaughter was based upon?

article-2174300-141587C0000005DC-78_634x

Instead of demonising non-whites and people with funny accents or names, we should in fact be demanding that our very own governmental system by torn down and restructured into one that benefits people... and not just rich people? Especially the rich UK ones.

Brexit is just political capital and serving to distract you and I. Nothing more.

16 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

You're straying into what it should be rather than what it is. If it was what I think it should be then I'd have voted Remain. What it should be is a fairly loose organisation that has no impact whatsoever on internal affairs (there's always indirect impact but it shouldn't have any authority there) and largely serves just as means of organising international areas of common interest. No central bank, not much in the way of government, no laws that have any direct domestic impact (a lot of laws to be ditched and a lot of the remaining ones should be standards instead, which would be of no direct relevence to anyone operating purely internally to a particular country). No ambitions towards statehood, no ever-closer integration (a lot of what we've already got needs reversing).

Can you give an example of a law that should go?

5 minutes ago, cashinmattress said:

Eh? What... do you support a eugenics programme then? How do you think the UK should deal with people having families and children? Or just organic growth?

What was democratic about Blair bombing Iraq into the stone age whilst millions marched and challenged the bogus assertions that this slaughter was based upon?

article-2174300-141587C0000005DC-78_634x

Instead of demonising non-whites and people with funny accents or names, we should in fact be demanding that our very own governmental system by torn down and restructured into one that benefits people... and not just rich people? Especially the rich UK ones.

Brexit is just political capital and serving to distract you and I. Nothing more.

Brexit is the most powerful catalyst for change since WW2.

4 minutes ago, cashinmattress said:

Why would I support a eugenics programme? Being against something doesn't automatically mean that I'd find any alternative acceptable. Nor does the lack of a solution to a problem mean that something isn't a problem.

And this lack of democracy argument of yours. You are aware that our economy and government  is so inextricably linked to other 'democratic' nations which are all in fact constantly spinning laws that protect corporate interests?

That's appealing to the existence of other problems as an excuse to ignore this one. You've only got a valid point there if I was claiming that the EU is completely responsible for all our issues democratically speaking, which it isn't, but that's no reason to put up with it.

34 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

It wasn't offered.  Tsipras promised that they could stay in the Euro and hand their debts written off, i.e. have their cake and eat it.  When it became clear that they couldn't stay in the Euro for that to happen the Greeks back-peddled.  The German finance minister even proposed a plan to allow Greece to leave.

As for the 'GS plant', you're thinking of Italy.

I was not referring to Tsipras 

You are right about Italy

7 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Can you give an example of a law that should go?

Can you deny that any EU laws have s domestic impact? Does every EU law deal solely with international matters?

2 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

That's British law.  We can reform the benefits system without leaving the EU.

He didn't say anything about what our benefits system is but how its applied. Or are we wrong that we have to apply them identically to EU and UK citizens?

Edited by Riedquat