House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

3 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:
3 hours ago, thirdwave said:

Jag e pace. Buy British and save the environment too lol

LOL it's Austrian.

Indian giant TATA, have created that lovely new JAG in Austria. They've opened a huge plant in Slovakia for the Discovery production.

and now they've opened a plant in China.

It's only a question of time before the incoming tariffs and supply chain backlog kills off the remaining UK plant in Solihull.  Cheaper to create the Range rovers in India.

21 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Maybe one of those vxr8’s so I can mad max it road warrior style. Last of the v8 interceptors...

You could get a Brit-made Jensen for 30K, with a walnut dash...

5 minutes ago, thehowler said:

You could get a Brit-made Jensen for 30K, with a walnut dash...

😎

Actually I was looking recently at  Continental GTs. For £20k you can get ones only a few years old and dripping in leather, kit, and burr walnut. Ding dong.

Edited by GrizzlyDave

Or you could have the overly practical Ariel Atom for that money...

Edited by Dave Beans

1 hour ago, ZeroSumGame said:

Indian giant TATA, have created that lovely new JAG in Austria. They've opened a huge plant in Slovakia for the Discovery production.

and now they've opened a plant in China.

It's only a question of time before the incoming tariffs and supply chain backlog kills off the remaining UK plant in Solihull.  Cheaper to create the Range rovers in India.

And why is it not obvious to you that UK's EU membership has in fact facilitated this process? Brexit will impose additional costs on moving production to cheaper destinations within the EU and whilst companies will do whatever is in their commercial interest, the likes of JLR will certainly have more reasons to keep manufacturing in this country once the UK leaves the SM

Edited by thirdwave

35 minutes ago, thirdwave said:

And why is it not obvious to you that UK's EU membership has in fact facilitated this process?

It's not obvious to me because it's an unfounded assertion of yours.

35 minutes ago, thirdwave said:

Brexit will impose additional costs on moving production to cheaper destinations within the EU and whilst companies will do whatever is in their commercial interest, the likes of JLR will certainly have more reasons to keep manufacturing in this country once the UK leaves the SM 

Straw man protectionist argument. China is cheaper than any EU country.

21 minutes ago, ZeroSumGame said:

It's not obvious to me because it's an unfounded assertion of yours.

Straw man protectionist argument. China is cheaper than any EU country.

So why are you citing this as an argument for remaining in the EU?

3 minutes ago, thirdwave said:

So why are you citing this as an argument for remaining in the EU? 

???

Twice you've asserted that JLR is a British company. It isn't. It's 100% owned by Indian giant Tata.

8 hours ago, thirdwave said:

And why is it not obvious to you that UK's EU membership has in fact facilitated this process? Brexit will impose additional costs on moving production to cheaper destinations within the EU and whilst companies will do whatever is in their commercial interest, the likes of JLR will certainly have more reasons to keep manufacturing in this country once the UK leaves the SM

There’s no car manufacturing in Australia at all now because the size of the market doesn’t justify it.  The idea that being outside the single market will protect manufacturing in the UK is absurd.

2 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

There’s no car manufacturing in Australia at all now because the size of the market doesn’t justify it.  The idea that being outside the single market will protect manufacturing in the UK is absurd.

Because the single market has protected the UK manufacturing industry 😂😂😂😂. Ah, good one!

Jacob Rees-Mogg warns Theresa May Brexiteer MPs 'have not gone soft over Christmas' amid fears 100 will sink her EU deal

The Brexiteer rebel  ringleader said that he expected more than 100 Tories to revolt against the Withdrawal Agreement when it comes to the crunch Commons vote this month.

A recent YouGov poll suggested just 22% of all Britons back Mrs May's deal.

Daily Mail

What is the point, for PM says critics of her deal are risking democracy and criticizing Jeremy Corbyn, if she has complete mess in her own kitchen.

13 minutes ago, rollover said:

What is the point, for PM says critics of her deal are risking democracy and criticizing Jeremy Corbyn, if she has complete mess in her own kitchen.

Her piece in the wail made me laugh. It's MP's job to scrutinise and challenge what is brought before them, that is democracy in action. Shouting that those who don't agree with her is semi-despotic.

Edited by Chunketh
spelling

A few things have struck me about Brexit in the last few days.

Doesn't being freed from costly adherence to EU regulation & pricing agreements, along with a weak pound, present a huge opportunity to the UK to savagely undercut EU member countries? We could maintain low prices until competitors hit terminal cash flow problems then raise prices later. Japan has done this very successfully in the past.

If France artificially delay UK trucks on their side, what prevents the UK from doing the same inbound, selectively delaying profitable French imports & perishable goods?

Finally, it appears the residents of dormant port Ramsgate are getting restive about its reactivation & renewed flow on the approaches, & marshalling, of hordes of 38 tonners, 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.  There was a 70% vote to leave there. Honestly, there's no pleasing some people..

3 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

2million of the 3million of the cars manufactured in the UK  are exported.

21 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Because the single market has protected the UK manufacturing industry 😂😂😂😂. Ah, good one!

UK Car manufacturing died in the 1970's and was revived by SM membership. The Japanese came here to base their manufacturing inside the single market.

6 minutes ago, hotblack42 said:

Doesn't being freed from costly adherence to EU regulation & pricing agreements, along with a weak pound, present a huge opportunity to the UK to savagely undercut EU member countries? We could maintain low prices until competitors hit terminal cash flow problems then raise prices later. Japan has done this very successfully in the past.

If there is any competition with EU countries, those regulations would apply to UK companies as those companies would be selling in the EU and therefore complying with EU law.

What you are describing is dumping. The EU/WTO/USA have very good ways of dealing with dumping; penalty import tariffs and fines. Japan did this in the past (DRAM's for instance) and it was a disaster for them. They won't do it again.

19 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

UK Car manufacturing died in the 1970's and was revived by SM membership. The Japanese came here to base their manufacturing inside the single market.

I thought it died in the ‘90s.

doesnt Japan drive on the left - any significance in that 🤔 

27 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

If there is any competition with EU countries, those regulations would apply to UK companies as those companies would be selling in the EU and therefore complying with EU law.

What you are describing is dumping. The EU/WTO/USA have very good ways of dealing with dumping; penalty import tariffs and fines. Japan did this in the past (DRAM's for instance) and it was a disaster for them. They won't do it again.

Well  I'm not suggesting dumping doesn't carry risk.  What I actually had in mind was taking non-EU business from EU countries.  There are arguments on both sides, but I'm a leaver and if you are a remainer then we'll just go round in circles.

Happy to debate, but contradiction will just waste your time and mine.

2 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Has anyone placed any bets on Brexit?

I don’t gamble at all but curious who has done it and how much.

I'm thinking of placing a 'No' bet on:

'UK To Leave the EU by 29 March 2019?'

How about you?

32 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Labour noddy on Sky News just now saying there is no way that back bench MPs will allow a no deal Brexit........ Papa Romeo Alfa Tango!

Been telling you that for a while. Even if we go into some emergency extension of Art 50 it will have to come back to forcing May's deal through or a GE.

You can see how Labour is finally splitting on Brexit and the idiotic six tests/all options on the table guff is falling apart. Corbs will come under intense pressure - remain-minded members are trying to get an emergency Labour conference - to go for SM or remain, with Tories taking a no-to-SM route.

Might get some concessions from EU after the first May deal vote fails though, but not looking good.

My call is that if May's deal fails on 2nd/3rd attempt we'll move to a GE.

5 minutes ago, ucnvpe0 said:

I'm thinking of placing a 'No' bet on:

'UK To Leave the EU by 29 March 2019?'

How about you?

I want us to remain but have no faith in any of our processes. To me, a no deal crash out seems most likely.