House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

8 hours ago, winkie said:

Very clear to see........because of the extended years in the workforce, state pensions paying out years later than used to, people working longer because their own personal pensions not sufficient enough to live on, even more so if still paying rents or repaying debt, some even supporting grown up kids and or elderly parents, when many middle aged people did not go to university because it was not the thing to do then, only for the bright and beautiful......there will be growing numbers of middle aged people requiring retraining......who will be supporting them?....nobody. ;)

Retraining is something most people have to do for themselves. I recall being told very early on in my career that I need to take responsibility for keeping my skills relevant to the jobs markets changing needs. It was good advice then and I imagine even more so today.

Edited by Confusion of VIs

16 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

BREXIT CURRY MENU

Chicken Tikka Massala

Everyone’s favourite brexit dish, a tasty blend of sovereignty, border control, and legal autonomy.

Chicken Korma

The blandest form of brexit, popular with kids, female prime ministers, and some remainers.

Lamb Bhuna

A medium spiced dish, comes with a free Pint of Larger; known to be a Junker favourite (he orders two Bhuna’s and leaves the curry).

Omelette and Chips

For the die hard brexit curry hating remainers.

Chicken Farage

A fairly hot and prickly dish, with long matured blend of spices. Those with intolerances best avoid.

Chicken Vindaloo

An extreme brexit curry, rumoured to be JRM’s favourite, not for the faint hearted. Ordered for you by brexiteers if you can’t choose a dish.

———

Feel free to add a dish to the list.

Why do you pretend there is a choice but only one curry flavour is on the Brexit menu? Any good reason for the limited choices?

I am not going to follow the bandwagon and go for Wiener schnitzel with remain mushroom sauce, remain de la crème  and bottle of Premium remain Dom Perignon Vintage 2009.

6 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Retraining is something most people have to do for themselves. I recall being told very early on in my career that I need to take responsibility for keeping my skills relevant to the jobs markets changing needs. It was good advice then and I imagine even more so today.

It's excellent advice, when you work in the IT sector it becomes self evident within the first few years of starting your career.

12 hours ago, thirdwave said:

That's true. UK runs a £70 billion deficit in overall trade with the EU even after accounting for the £80billion surplus in services

Corrected. The surplus is not small.

Why isn’t the government talking about the major crisis in Britain that could topple the welfare state?

The government will have to find £36bn by 2030, and a staggering £83bn by 2040, to keep it going. That’s why it needs a wealth tax

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/welfare-state-wealth-tax-ageing-population-government-tory-conservative-a8709531.html

4 hours ago, rollover said:

Why do you pretend there is a choice but only one curry flavour is on the Brexit menu? Any good reason for the limited choices?

I am not going to follow the bandwagon and go for Wiener schnitzel with remain mushroom sauce, remain de la crème  and bottle of Premium remain Dom Perignon Vintage 2009.

Calves, kept inside and in the dark and fed purely on milk.

#becausewecare

15 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Calves, kept inside and in the dark and fed purely on milk.

#becausewecare

The best is pork Wiener Schnitzel not calves one.

Edited by rollover

3 hours ago, onlooker said:

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851

The UK had an overall trade deficit of -£67 billion with the EU in 2017. A surplus of £28 billion on trade in services was outweighed by a deficit of -£95 billion on trade in goods.

From your source,uk services account for £109 billion  exports to the EU.

As we are leaving the single market we stand to lose 28 billion, not 80 billion as I said.

So our trade deficit  it will increase to £123 billon as trade in goods will remain or significantly worsen due to loss of the car industry.

25 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

As we are leaving the single market we stand to lose 28 billion, not 80 billion as I said.

So our trade deficit  it will increase to £123 billon as trade in goods will remain or significantly worsen due to loss of the car industry.

I don’t know about anyone else but I won’t be buying any more German cars.

21 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

I don’t know about anyone else but I won’t be buying any more German cars.

Right.

As you say, you don't know about anyone else. Besides, Germany exports a hell of a lot more than cars.

And a lot of British people won't be buying German cars because they will no longer be able to afford them, the sales be to the countries where the jobs move to.

LEAVE would win second referendum by even BIGGER margin

Known as a mastermind and front man of the 2016 Leave campaign, Gove now sees himself as a unifying force and an advocate for the beleaguered Prime Minister. 

In an interview with The Times today he stressed that the EU could place tariffs of 40 per cent on meat exports and enact stringent border inspections at Calais.   

The huge delays this would cause would, Gove says, cancel out the benefits Britain could reap by leaving the common agricultural policy.  

However in Gove's opinion, there is one thing worse than the prospect of no deal - another Brexit referendum. 

Daily mail

In my opinion he is wrong and remain will win second referendum.

6 minutes ago, rollover said:

In my opinion he is wrong and remain will win second referendum.

Dunno. 

However, Daily Mail is utterly bonkers. UFO's, aliens, conspiracy theories.

I wouldn't bother reading it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46741907

Brexit, the uncivil war Channel 4

Really looking forward to this, looks good. Though I do get the impression they are treating this story like this is how we were conned and Brexit won, which really should have a democratic UK a little annoyed, Remain and Leave.

I will still be watching it with my 60% Remain head on though, it's like much of the stuff Frankie Boyle does, I find him 100% funny in his observations and 60% right in his opinions

Sorry if this has already been discussed here

2 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

Right.

As you say, you don't know about anyone else. Besides, Germany exports a hell of a lot more than cars.

And a lot of British people won't be buying German cars because they will no longer be able to afford them, the sales be to the countries where the jobs move to.

My small contribution in itself won’t make a difference.

Can anyone recommend a non EU made car?

27 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

My small contribution in itself won’t make a difference.

Can anyone recommend a non EU made car?

Jag e pace. Buy British and save the environment too lol

4 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

More remainer codswallop. So all UK exports will cease on Brexit day according to you? I think the deficit will narrow significantly as the UK will buy a lot less from the EU but trade in services will be largely unaffected as it's not covered by the SM anyway

1 hour ago, thirdwave said:

More remainer codswallop. So all UK exports will cease on Brexit day according to you? I think the deficit will narrow significantly as the UK will buy a lot less from the EU but trade in services will be largely unaffected as it's not covered by the SM anyway

How exactly will they sell services if they are not in the marketplace?  Without equivalence in professional qualifications or legal systems? How do you export a service ?

41 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

How exactly will they sell services if they are not in the marketplace?  Without equivalence in professional qualifications or legal systems? How do you export a service ?

A single market for services does not exist in reality because it does not suit the Germans-look it up. Yet another example of misinformation by remainers. The UK will continue to export services to the EU post Brexit just as it does to the rest of the world.

Edited by thirdwave