House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

7 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

1. FOM is not unworkable in the longer term. The recent/current stresses were caused by the expansion into Eastern Europe, the surge in migration caused by this is almost over and migration will be back in balance by the time we actually stop FOM.

2. It's true that FOM has proved to be a double edged sword for the EE countries, in the early days it was welcomed but now almost all of the EE states are actively encouraging their citizens to come home and the rising living standards are making this attractive for skilled people.

3. Brexit will prove to be the worlds most expensive ever stable door bolting exercise.  

4. You might be right about the Euro proving to be unworkable but leaving the EU will not protect us from the effects of a break up and having to contribute to what will be the biggest bail out in history. 

1. We've disagreed on these points upthread WRT EU citizen FoM already i.e. socio-economic factors, accession countries & third country migrants gaining EU citizenship.  Do you have any thoughts on the organised, Serbian/Iranian people trafficking throughout Europe ? 

2. Have you based that on information such as this?

Many economic migrants from central and eastern Europe who came to work in the UK are returning home...

3. I disagree again but do you think, Merkel has pondered over that phrase?

4. Agreed, imagine if many of the threads hereabouts were proven correct?

44 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

Do you under stand the difference between the EU's budget an the EU members economies?

Do you?

The OP was implying the EU budget was the entire GDP of the member countries, thus our piffling 39 bn was irrelevant.

I was pointing out that 39 bn is a large chunk of the EU budget.

2 hours ago, thehowler said:

1 - tried it.

2 - won't work. You might want it to but it doesn't.

3 - yup.

Explain to me how a general election would work without another referendum?

2 hours ago, IMHAL said:

Thank fck for that.

It's probably more about maintaining seamless money laundering between our jurisdictions...we don't want to upset the oligarchs, the mafia or the drug cartels.

Hole in one. It will be about the money business.

36 minutes ago, micawber said:

Nope. I'm pretty good at planning. My main weakness was failing to retire at 50. My planning was a bit out so I had to wait until a year or two later instead.

Be bold, confident and assertive my friend. I wish that May had been.

If you were good at planing you would know what you proposed is not a plan. At best it's an ill considered action.

You can't run a country on a hope and a prayer with a gob of attitude and bravado thrown in.....we're not a nation of used car salesmen.

Edited by IMHAL

1 hour ago, ****-eyed octopus said:

Great. They won't miss our not paying them £39 bn then.

Now that is blah blah blah.

We have already accepted it is a legal obligation, deal or no deal, and the UK always pays its debts.

59 minutes ago, micawber said:

Well yeah, I've given you the plan. We should have left 2 years ago as soon as it became clear that the EU wanted to hardball. Then we can sort out an agreement that works well for both of us. It really isn't that difficult. If you are weak and woolly then you are going to be played.

Rubbish.

If I am a small and I do business with someone that is nearly 10x the size - I better have something the big guy really, really wants - or else they get to dictate all the terms.

It will apply to any trade deal we go for. You think the EU is bad, prepare to be raped by India, China or the USA.

It's how the world works.

46 minutes ago, micawber said:

I think that you are thinking too negatively. You say screwing up and all of our neighbours. I say rearranging and just some of our neighbours. Be more confident. Be more assertive. Try again.

:)

Ooops. In response to Jonb2.

Why would you be so frightened of the world? I don't see smaller, more confident, countries cowering in their partnerships with these big beasts.

Think of a house purchase. Are you the person who asks for £1K off the price and then pays full whack when they get told no, or are you the one who confidently  negotiates 10% off the price or walks away?

Edited by micawber
Failed to quote

17 minutes ago, 29929BlackTuesday said:

Yes - WTO please. Don't like the term No Deal - no offence meant jonb2!

But it is a no-deal BT.

WTO is failing to negotiate a deal with the EU. Thus no-deal. To further the general confusion, Gina Miller found that some people polled thought that a no-deal meant remain, meaning some remainers would vote for a no-deal and some leavers would avoid voting for it.

I am 100% sure there were far, far better things the Tories could have done for the country than Brexit.

33 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

Explain to me how a general election would work without another referendum?

May resigns, Tories and Labour set out their Brexit positions, you vote, whoever gets the mandate takes us forward.

This isn't what I want. I'd prefer May's deal. But doubt we'll get it.

2nd ref is all about remain, there's nothing there for leavers.

5 minutes ago, micawber said:

Why would you be so frightened of the world? I don't see smaller, more confident, countries cowering in their partnerships with these big beasts.

Think of a house purchase. Are you the person who asks for £1K off the price and then pays full whack when they get told no, or are you the one who confidently  negotiates 10% off the price or walks away?

On your first point, they are not putting over 50% of their exports in jeopardy. Ask Kenya how it would cope when 50% of its exports disappeared overnight.

Second point. Depends on how much you want the house.

You are arguing bravado vs pragmatism. Do you really think you can use the same tactics? This country has been so run down. No industrial programme. Money laundering and the City as its major export. Who needs it.

2 minutes ago, thehowler said:

May resigns, Tories and Labour set out their Brexit positions, you vote, whoever gets the mandate takes us forward.

What are their positions though?

3 hours ago, thehowler said:

Relax everyone, supplies of chocolate and cuckoo clocks are safeguarded...

search DOSBODS.

Tragic that we couldn't have created a 2 speed Europe, together with our natural Europhobic allies: the people of Norway, Iceland & Switzerland.

Edited by highYield

1 minute ago, thehowler said:

I don't see how this changes the dynamic or changes anything.

Westminster is done, it's blown a fuse, it's an ex-parliament pining for the Norway plus deal, or WTO, or remain, or May's deal. An election would just produce Brexit, the directors cut. Same as it ever is.

2 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

LOL how much evidence do you need. The hysteria is coming. from leavers as their project fantasy Brexit hits hard reality.

Quote some then. Evidence that is not guesswork.

11 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

On your first point, they are not putting over 50% of their exports in jeopardy. Ask Kenya how it would cope when 50% of its exports disappeared overnight.

Second point. Depends on how much you want the house.

You are arguing bravado vs pragmatism. Do you really think you can use the same tactics? This country has been so run down. No industrial programme. Money laundering and the City as its major export. Who needs it.

It is only 44% of our exports that go to the EU. There is no need to exaggerate. And I'd guess that at least 90% of those exports would continue (Coldplay, Benny Hill, Mr Bean, etc) in the same way that we would continue to buy EU goods. So, yeah, maybe we lose 4.4% of our exports. I could see that being made up with freer trade with the RoW. I'm not scared. I'm confident.

You think we are run down? Have you been to Italy recently?

3 hours ago, micawber said:

I'm not as worried as you are about the future. I didn't need a soup kitchen when I lost my job 25 years ago. I just needed to do a different job in a different part of the country.

Lucky for you we believe in freedom of movement within the UK, so you were able to relocate for another job rather than being confined to your home town.

20 minutes ago, thehowler said:

Signs that even the usual-suspect Europhile journos are embarrassed about the summit...

😂 Give the batshits what they want and  do not even think about skimping on the etiquette