House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

3 hours ago, thehowler said:

When you start to think of the process involved in staging another ref, when you look at the votes, consensus and acceptance required from MPs over many months, you very quickly realize that our current MPs are never going to allow a WTO option on any ref ballot.

There is ZERO chance of WTO under this govt and Parliament.

Well if that's the case because there's no Leave option between May's deal (BRINO/Remain) and Remain there's no point in holding a referendum.

2 minutes ago, crouch said:

Well if that's the case because there's no Leave option between May's deal (BRINO/Remain) and Remain there's no point in holding a referendum.

You're calling May's deal BRINO? Outside the Customs Union and the Single Market. It's less EU than Turkey.

500px-Supranational_European_Bodies-en.s

34 minutes ago, micawber said:

I'd throw the EU 10Bn as a goodwill down payment towards a future settlement negotiated from a position of strength.

Why would the EU want 10bn? It has an economy of 20 trillion pa. 10bn would be like giving your ex 0.05% of their annual salary as a goodwill payment i.e. 10 or 20 quid.

Edited by Dorkins

2 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Why would the EU want 10bn? It has an economy of 20 trillion pa. 10bn would be like giving your ex 0.05% of their annual salary as a goodwill payment i.e. 10 or 20 quid.

Great. They won't miss our not paying them £39 bn then.

3 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

It's a sign of good-faith but if they are that much stuck up their arses then I am more convinced that we're making the right move. However, I think that the money is important to the EU and their own plans.

2 minutes ago, ****-eyed octopus said:

True, they won't. The whole world would note that the UK is a country that doesn't fulfill its commitments though and would bear this in mind when negotiating FTAs.

41 minutes ago, onlooker said:

You have no evidence for your claim. It is just Project Hysteria.

LOL how much evidence do you need. The hysteria is coming. from leavers as their project fantasy Brexit hits hard reality.

19 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

LOL how much evidence do you need. The hysteria is coming. from leavers as their project fantasy Brexit hits hard reality.

LOL how much evidence do you need. The hysteria is coming. from remainers as their project fantasy EU hits hard reality.

Blah blah blah

6 minutes ago, micawber said:

But no explanation is forthcoming. Join the gang.

Well which of those excuses suit you best ? Explain why and I’m sure you’ll get a response :)

25 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Quote some then. Evidence that is not guesswork.

47 minutes ago, Quicken said:

You're calling May's deal BRINO? Outside the Customs Union and the Single Market. It's less EU than Turkey.

500px-Supranational_European_Bodies-en.s

Can you tell me the  date when we are released from the Irish backstop?

34 minutes ago, ****-eyed octopus said:

It's 13 billion per year. No they won't miss it. Hence the 'couldn't give a ****' attitude from the EU.

1 hour ago, micawber said:

It's only a 'cushty deal' if you ignore its cost. And the plan is to continue trading - we'll buy German cars and they'll buy more Coldplay.

I'm not as worried as you are about the future. I didn't need a soup kitchen when I lost my job 25 years ago. I just needed to do a different job in a different part of the country. Of course, I could just have crept into a corner and cried instead.

The most damaging aspect in all of this is the uncertainty that has been created for the last 3 years. Far better to create certainty by exiting as soon as possible. I'd throw the EU 10Bn as a goodwill down payment towards a future settlement negotiated from a position of strength.

I am no more scared of the 'costs' of Brexit than I am of the costs of a 50% correction in house prices - despite being a homeowner.

Sounds like you don't really worry about much at all........

You are new around here...welcome.....we've gone past simplistic 'itll work out alright on the night' arguments. Most people want a plan....that's how you run a country....

11 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

You are new around here...welcome.....we've gone past simplistic 'itll work out alright on the night' arguments. Most people want a plan....that's how you run a country....

Well yeah, I've given you the plan. We should have left 2 years ago as soon as it became clear that the EU wanted to hardball. Then we can sort out an agreement that works well for both of us. It really isn't that difficult. If you are weak and woolly then you are going to be played.

12 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

Agree

Maybe we should tell the EU we would love to trade with them and ask them if they feel the same way. If they then want to play silly B*ggers and make things difficult maybe we should start falling out of love with German car makers and opt for the like of Hyundai instead for example.

May really needs to stop pleading, begging and acting like the dumped girlfriend who has been told dozens of times it's over, she needs to just slap a deal on Junkers desk offering to buy everything we once did from the EU as long as they do the same, if the EU refuse we walk.

There's the deal

2 minutes ago, micawber said:

Well yeah, I've given you the plan. We should have left 2 years ago as soon as it became clear that the EU wanted to hardball. Then we can sort out an agreement that works well for both of us. It really isn't that difficult. If you are weak and woolly then you are going to be played.

I take it you are also new to planning...

1 hour ago, micawber said:

It's only a 'cushty deal' if you ignore its cost. And the plan is to continue trading - we'll buy German cars and they'll buy more Coldplay.

I'm not as worried as you are about the future. I didn't need a soup kitchen when I lost my job 25 years ago. I just needed to do a different job in a different part of the country. Of course, I could just have crept into a corner and cried instead.

The most damaging aspect in all of this is the uncertainty that has been created for the last 3 years. Far better to create certainty by exiting as soon as possible. I'd throw the EU 10Bn as a goodwill down payment towards a future settlement negotiated from a position of strength.

I am no more scared of the 'costs' of Brexit than I am of the costs of a 50% correction in house prices - despite being a homeowner.

Couldn't agree more, 'if it isn't hurting it isn't working ' and 'get on your bike ' Labour isn't working and then 1million unemployment goes to 4million. 

I think even with a no deal crash out, there would be a minor hiccup followed by a boom as we realised we can do what the hell we want.

Now we have lame duck prime minister, lame duck chancellor, lame duck bank of England, lame duck banks. In the old days they'd all have had the good manners to sod off.

16 minutes ago, localhero1983 said:

Agree

Maybe we should tell the EU we would love to trade with them and ask them if they feel the same way. If they then want to play silly B*ggers and make things difficult maybe we should start falling out of love with German car makers and opt for the like of Hyundai instead for example.

May really needs to stop pleading, begging and acting like the dumped girlfriend who has been told dozens of times it's over, she needs to just slap a deal on Junkers desk offering to buy everything we once did from the EU as long as they do the same, if the EU refuse we walk.

There's the deal

David Davis, January 2017..

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2017-01-24/debates/d423aee6-be36-4935-ad6a-5ca316582a9c/article50

See a bit of a problem there?

My right hon. Friend the Member for Broxtowe (Anna Soubry) talks about things that were not on the ballot paper. What was on the ballot paper was leaving the European Union. I am afraid that it is very difficult to see how we can leave the European Union and still stay inside the single market, with all the commitments that go with that. What we have come up with—I hope to persuade her that this is a very worthwhile aim—is the idea of a comprehensive free trade agreement and a comprehensive customs agreement that will deliver the exact same benefits as we have, but also enable my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State for International Trade to go and form trade deals with the rest of the world, which is the real upside of leaving the European Union.

Edited by Dave Beans

2 hours ago, micawber said:

Nah, I think that the ball is in your court given that you think you are less confused than me. I'm ready to be educated. Go for it.

Oh ok - I think screwing up trade relations with all of our neighbours (,the worlds largest trading block) will have an economic impact. Mainly because all countries always seem keen to trade with their neighbours. I guess there must be something in it for them ?

I think excuses from Brexiters will be plentiful. Which ones are you planning on going for ?

2 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

I take it you are also new to planning...

Nope. I'm pretty good at planning. My main weakness was failing to retire at 50. My planning was a bit out so I had to wait until a year or two later instead.

Be bold, confident and assertive my friend. I wish that May had been.

1 minute ago, pig said:

Oh ok - I think screwing up trade relations with all of our neighbours (,the worlds largest trading block) will have an economic impact. Mainly because all countries always seem keen to trade with their neighbours. I guess there must be something in it for them ?

I think excuses from Brexiters will be plentiful. Which ones are you planning on going for ?

Its not about them, is it

3 minutes ago, pig said:

I think that you are thinking too negatively. You say screwing up and all of our neighbours. I say rearranging and just some of our neighbours. Be more confident. Be more assertive. Try again.