House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

9 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

A bit like the "Do houses disappear when landlords sell them" problem? I am confident that the jobs that are needed will be there, and jobs that are not really needed on a large scale (banking, property related skimming) won`t be. Obviously some other sectors and firms are going to have problems...maybe, but we can live through it, the present status quo regarding the EU is changing whether we do Brexit or not.

Aha you clearly live in an idyllic disconnected world where no sectors or firms are connected to any other sectors and firms and the invisible hand can pick up the invisible stick and selectively  beat your unworthy :). 

Actually maybe we could split up the world into disconnected nationalist neo-feudal fiefdoms ? The likes of the ERG and Russia would have some of the biggest ‘sticks’ of all !

27 minutes ago, onlooker said:

Ancient history. Was it right for Kings of Ireland to use Irish soldiers to intervene in English civil wars? Anyway, plenty moved to work in England and Scotland at the time of the famine. Bit like what is happening now, with southern and eastern Europeans (some starving) moving to the UK for work and a better life.

As to A50, the evidence so far is that using it, it is not possible to leave the EU.

Scotland had a referendum, it can have another one after a reasonable amount of time. The problem with it leaving is that it needs another sugar daddy to keep them in the manner to which they have become used. Ireland found the USA diaspora, and then the EU to help them.

It's proving nothing of the sort.

It's just stopping us leaving with pocketful of unpaid for cake and cherries. Unfortunately that was the basis of out leaving plan and now we are stuck trying to agree on a plan B.  

3 minutes ago, Quicken said:

Summit conclusion: Backstop means Backstop

Yeah, not getting the impression the EU wants to talk at all. Another Salzburg put-down, as presented by some UK journos...from The Times...

British negotiators had agreed a draft statement with the most senior EU officials, to be released after Mrs May met European leaders, that would have provided “political comfort” to Mrs May that the bloc was prepared to compromise on the Irish backstop. At a dinner last night, held without her, European leaders went back on the joint agreement in order to send a message to MPs that no further concessions would be forthcoming from Brussels.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-european-leaders-reneged-on-promise-to-help-theresa-may-kq0t5fktn

6 minutes ago, micawber said:

But no explanation is forthcoming. Join the gang.

Well which of those excuses suit you best ? Explain why and I’m sure you’ll get a response :)

18 minutes ago, micawber said:

I see that as opportunity to do something different. I don't understand why a third of SME's would be tipped over the edge - hardly any (<25%) deal with the EU. As I said, the EU has protected it's own workers less than the UK has and so it's not a great advert for how to do things.

A bit like being being  subject to a self inflicted firing from a well paid job........it makes for an opportunity to do something different......lol

8 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

It's proving nothing of the sort.

It's just stopping us leaving with pocketful of unpaid for cake and cherries. Unfortunately that was the basis of out leaving plan and now we are stuck trying to agree on a plan B.  

Don't agree. It is stopping us leaving with the country intact.

1 minute ago, pig said:

Well which of those excuses suit you best ? Explain why and I’m sure you’ll get a response :)

Nah, I think that the ball is in your court given that you think you are less confused than me. I'm ready to be educated. Go for it.

4 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

A bit like being being  subject to a self inflicted firing from a well paid job........it makes for an opportunity to do something different......lol

It sounds like you have been fearmongered. People lose jobs all the time (just ask the shop-workers). You need to be able to adapt and change.

1 minute ago, micawber said:

It sounds like you have been fearmongered. People lose jobs all the time (just ask the shop-workers). You need to be able to adapt and change.

No... we are walking out of a cushty deal .....with no plan in place.....

This is the strategy of a hobo.....you don't let hobo's run a country. Sorry...get to the back of the queue...the soup kitchen is thata way..

5 minutes ago, thehowler said:

Relax everyone, supplies of chocolate and cuckoo clocks are safeguarded...

Thank fck for that.

It's probably more about maintaining seamless money laundering between our jurisdictions...we don't want to upset the oligarchs, the mafia or the drug cartels.

Edited by IMHAL

10 minutes ago, onlooker said:

Don't agree. It is stopping us leaving with the country intact.

No we can do that but it would require leaving the cake and cherries behind.

The root caise of all our problems is that May didn't come clean at the outset and tell the people that they had to accept that leave was a vote to be poorer and that the next ten years will be hard.

Reading up on the summit...the EU/27 have fully called May's bluff now. She got nothing from them. They said to Labour, the DUP and the rebels, that's it, no more.

May's only card is WTO and she can't play it.

She is their emissary in our Parliament and it's their deal.

The deal is our best way to reflect the referendum and limit damage, but I think May will be gone and we'll get SM or a hardliner.

3 minutes ago, thehowler said:

Reading up on the summit...the EU/27 have fully called May's bluff now. She got nothing from them. They said to Labour, the DUP and the rebels, that's it, no more.

May's only card is WTO and she can't play it.

She is their emissary in our Parliament and it's their deal.

The deal is our best way to reflect the referendum and limit damage, but I think May will be gone and we'll get SM or a hardliner.

It does seem that she will have to either resign or call a second referendum when she loses the vote, if she ladts that long.

16 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

No we can do that but it would require leaving the cake and cherries behind.

The root caise of all our problems is that May didn't come clean at the outset and tell the people that they had to accept that leave was a vote to be poorer and that the next ten years will be hard.

You have no evidence for your claim. It is just Project Hysteria.

18 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

No... we are walking out of a cushty deal .....with no plan in place.....

This is the strategy of a hobo.....you don't let hobo's run a country. Sorry...get to the back of the queue...the soup kitchen is thata way..

It's only a 'cushty deal' if you ignore its cost. And the plan is to continue trading - we'll buy German cars and they'll buy more Coldplay.

I'm not as worried as you are about the future. I didn't need a soup kitchen when I lost my job 25 years ago. I just needed to do a different job in a different part of the country. Of course, I could just have crept into a corner and cried instead.

The most damaging aspect in all of this is the uncertainty that has been created for the last 3 years. Far better to create certainty by exiting as soon as possible. I'd throw the EU 10Bn as a goodwill down payment towards a future settlement negotiated from a position of strength.

I am no more scared of the 'costs' of Brexit than I am of the costs of a 50% correction in house prices - despite being a homeowner.

Summing up of the so-long summit from Gruniad journo...the doors are closing. Chimes with most of what's been said on here today...

In something of a rerun of May’s nightmare in Salzburg last September, and in a development all too familiar in the Brexit negotiations, things were to go badly wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/14/downing-street-tries-to-stage-manage-juncker-eu-rescue-of-may-brexit-deal