House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

6 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

Hasnt this thread got a bit personal and a bit off topic.

Brexit means Brexit and we are going to make a success of it!

In new news the Japanese PM has followed the Aussies in inviting us to join the reformed Trans pacific partnership as long of course as we extricate ourselves from the EU customs union. Who needs Latvia, Slovakia and Bulgaria when you could team up with Singapore, Japan, Canada, Australia and Malaysia and more. The futures bright the futures Asia and the Pacific - it sure ain't Romania!

And you might ask how as we aren't a nation that borders the Pacific - well you are forgetting we still administer the Pitcairn islands!

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-japan/japans-abe-says-would-welcome-britain-to-tpp-ft-idUSKCN1MH0VS

Excellent news. This would be a partnership of roughly equal countries, and as you say with countries that should prosper well in the economic future. Would hopefully allay fears that we'd remain/become the EU's, US' or China's biatch. Would also take pressure off politicians to sign a bad TTIP with the US that furthers the privatisation of the NHS (although the Tories are already busy doing that with Branson, whilst we're in the EU).

15 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Mervyn King has said that not putting place transition or other controls was a deliberate choice aimed at getting "first mover advantage". 

In a way perhaps he was right, as a direct result we could well get first mover-out-of-the-EU advantage.

2 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

UK would be welcomed to TPP ‘with open arms’, says Abe

https://www.ft.com/content/57c4e3ce-ca22-11e8-b276-b9069bde0956

Sounds like a great idea. I wonder why they're so keen on us joining? Perhaps we could partially fill some of the gaps left by the withdrawal of the US.

edit: Ah - perhaps a key driver for Japan is mentioned in your FT article:

The Japanese prime minister has gone to extreme lengths to cultivate Mr Trump — meeting him nine times and holding 26 phone calls — because the US alliance is so fundamental to Japan’s security. Mr Abe said he opposed any withdrawal of US forces from the Korean peninsula as part of a deal to scrap North Korea’s nuclear weapons.

Edited by highYield

11 minutes ago, ccc said:

When is this all or nothing EU conference ? November I think ? 

Potentially December, then there's another one in March..

9 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Potentially December, then there's another one in March..

Getting tight. 

23 hours ago, Riedquat said:

I happen to think Freedom of Movement is a wonderful thing just as long as it doesn't result in any pressure for movement in one particular direction. That more could've been put in place to reduce it suggests that we weren't ready for it with Eastern Europe. Incompetence and short-sightedness are the most likely reasons IMO - I usually go for "don't explain by conspiracy that which can be explained by ****-up."

I'm not too sure to be honest.

There was a deliberate policy of rubbing the Tory's noses in diversity, this we know.

We also know the UK had "come and work in the UK" campaigns in eastern Europe.  We positively encouraged it.

I don't think it was incompetence, not of the sense they didn't know about it.

I also wonder if there was a secret deal done, that is the UK would mop up european unemployed and activity recruit EE's to help with the EU's objectives.

2 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

:/) In the Senna or the XC90?

It was a Volvo Garage, should be enough of a hint ;)

New one, all flash too.  Drank way too much coffee and ate way too many biscuits.  

European Solidarity Corps:

“Solidarity among Union citizens and among Member States is one of the universal values on which the Union is built. This common value guides the Union's actions and provides it with the necessary unity for coping with current and future societal challenges, which young Europeans are willing to help address by expressing their solidarity in practice. Solidarity also stimulates young people's interest in the common European project.”
- Regulation (EU) 2018/1475 of the European Parliament and of the Council, Oct 2018
Budget
First official budget for 2018-2020 – set by law on Thursday: €375.6 million
Additional fund in 2021-2027 draft EU budget: €1.26 billion

Some are saying this is all rather sinister.  Or maybe they are trying to disguise the youth unemployment figures.

Just now, kzb said:

European Solidarity Corps:

“Solidarity among Union citizens and among Member States is one of the universal values on which the Union is built. This common value guides the Union's actions and provides it with the necessary unity for coping with current and future societal challenges, which young Europeans are willing to help address by expressing their solidarity in practice. Solidarity also stimulates young people's interest in the common European project.”
- Regulation (EU) 2018/1475 of the European Parliament and of the Council, Oct 2018
Budget
First official budget for 2018-2020 – set by law on Thursday: €375.6 million
Additional fund in 2021-2027 draft EU budget: €1.26 billion

Some are saying this is all rather sinister.  Or maybe they are trying to disguise the youth unemployment figures.

Just seems a bit Erasmusy to be honest, not sinister at all, just a chance to work on projects across Europe.  If I was of the age, I'd do it.

Just had a look see through the FAQ'a and it is indeed like Erasmus+

It builds on the European voluntary Service (which [is] part of ERASMUS+) as well as other EU funding programmes.

Edited by HairyOb1

8 hours ago, highYield said:

Sounds like a great idea. I wonder why they're so keen on us joining? Perhaps we could partially fill some of the gaps left by the withdrawal of the US.

Should boost our exports by £10billion.  

It's brixtlogic that's more than £100billion.

18 hours ago, CanAffordWontPay said:

Whoever that twitter profile belongs to, find it kinda bizarre advertising one is a lottery jackpot winner to the world. I can only imagine the hassle that brings.

If you win the lottery jackpot surely most worries melt away?

house - sorted

bills - sorted

nice holidays - sorted

job worries - sorted

Kids education - sorted

retirement - sorted

gravy!

G R A V Y !

Just now, GrizzlyDave said:

If you win the lottery jackpot surely most worries melt away?

house - sorted

bills - sorted

nice holidays - sorted

job worries - sorted

Kids education - sorted

retirement - sorted

gravy!

G R A V Y !

But Benross clubs?  I still can't get over that.

MPs may not see Theresa May’s fresh Brexit plans before she asks EU leaders to agree to them

One MP predicts 'uproar' if parliament is denied first sight – while a second attacks a 'stitch up behind closed doors'.

MPs may not be shown Theresa May’s fresh plans to break the Brexit deadlock before she asks EU leaders to agree to them, Downing Street has admitted. No 10 refused to guarantee the proposals – further compromises to solve the Irish border issue would be published before a crucial EU summit next week. Independent

It looks like, the Brexit deal will be done behind EU closed door.

Just now, rollover said:

It looks like, the Brexit deal will be done behind EU closed door.

How is she going to get that past Parl?  I can't see anyone agreeing with any one particular deal, to be honest.  Whatever she puts to parl.  I also think amendment and amendment will be chucked at everything.  SNP suggesting they'll spoil; any brexit offered to them.

It's hotting up now we're getting to the 20%

12 minutes ago, HairyOb1 said:

I don't know, but they're cheap.  A set is about £4-500, whereas my pings were £1200.  

1200 quid!!!! What are you? A lottery millionaire?

33 minutes ago, HairyOb1 said:

I don't know, but they're cheap.  A set is about £4-500, whereas my pings were £1200.  

Ah. I remember driving round pebble beach (Carmel).

Money doesn’t buy class (the ugliest houses)!

Just now, adarmo said:

1200 quid!!!! What are you? A lottery millionaire?

They do last.  Last ones I bought were £800 in 2004.  Good set of blades is £900 to £3000, mine are, relatively, cheap.  I have a friend who buys all his stuff second hand, and he'll pick up a set like mine, a year or so after launch, for around £300.  Some folk in golf just want the latest gear,

£600 on Woods on top of that, as well...

Just now, GrizzlyDave said:

Ah. I remember driving round pebble beach (Carmel).

Money doesn’t buy class (the ugliest houses)!

Going to play in Las Vegas in March.  The height of fugly.

2 hours ago, HairyOb1 said:

They do last.  Last ones I bought were £800 in 2004.  Good set of blades is £900 to £3000, mine are, relatively, cheap.  I have a friend who buys all his stuff second hand, and he'll pick up a set like mine, a year or so after launch, for around £300.  Some folk in golf just want the latest gear,

£600 on Woods on top of that, as well...

Going to play in Las Vegas in March.  The height of fugly.

True, as with most things if you buy new you nearly get what you pay for. I'm a bit of a second hand fan (unless it's that premium carrying vintage' stuff). Did by one of my road bikes new but that's because I heard horror stories about what happens if you have a crack in your carbon frame. 

Government figures could be preparing for UK to rejoin EU - former Brexit minister

Senior government figures could be trying to engineer the softest possible form of Brexit to allow Britain to rejoin the EU, an MP and former minister has claimed. SKY

That's the only way to go and how Tory can deliver Brexit.

1 hour ago, adarmo said:

True, as with most things if you buy new you nearly get what you pay for. I'm a bit of a second hand fan (unless it's that premium carrying vintage' stuff). Did by one of my road bikes new but that's because I heard horror stories about what happens if you have a crack in your carbon frame. 

I got a cracking deal on a Carbon last year, Giant Propel SL2, had Trek's before, and wouldn't buy a good road bike second hand.  

With Golf, I tend to buy and keep things until they're useless, so £1200 over 14 years  isn't an awful lot if you play as much as me.  I have a tendency to look after anything I buy, so it lasts and looks as good as new.  I am a bit ******** about cleaning things after use I guess, the kids laugh at me.