House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

• Replies 145.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GrizzlyDave

• Confusion of VIs

• thehowler

• jonb2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do.   https://twitter.com/housepricemania

1409 pages....you guys should have your own forum !!!

Oh OK. Shame that really, but hey it looks like @IMHAL helped us both out. Nice repost though, thanks ! Any thoughts ?  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, inbruges said:

He is a numptie, but he does understand populism politics. The Westminster consensus is for a soft Brexit or even a no Brexit somehow, whereas the country is asking to leave the EU, like many policies over the years the MP's don't align with public sentiment.

Boris could do better than most people think, he is one of only a handful speaking the same language as the majority of the country

If this ‘majority of the country’ werent so hopelessly gullible he’d do as well as he deserves....

Actually that’s not quite right - it’s more that people are so psychologically invested in what he blatantly manipulates that circumspection goes out the window.

21 minutes ago, pig said:

If this ‘majority of the country’ werent so hopelessly gullible he’d do as well as he deserves....

Actually that’s not quite right - it’s more that people are so psychologically invested in what he blatantly manipulates that circumspection goes out the window.

I am actually only looking at the vote count, I dare say your psychoanalysis is far accurate

15 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

The Greeks committed fraud to get that money from the foreign banks, money that they lavished upon themselves in a massive increase in GDP - which was lost when their fraud was uncovered.

The idea that Greece was a victim is a joke.

Are you suggesting that the EU/ECB had no idea what was going on within Greece for years? What year do you think this is from?

… 

But the president of the European Central Bank, … , warned that Greece still had a lot of work to do to improve its economy and bring inflation under control.

In 1999, Greece was left out of the eurozone for failing to meet the EU's economic criteria.

To qualify for euro membership, the Greek Government had to adopt a tough austerity programme, making deep cuts in public spending...

4 hours ago, yelims said:

Then they discover that free trade and no eu protection of workers leads to a situation where people don't have to come to UK for jobs, the jobs can simply be outsourced wholesale.

That has always been the case and the EU28 is facing another existential crisis WRT globalisation.

This was from just before the referendum:

HSBC starts laying off 840 IT staff in UK

Unions attack first move to shift IT jobs overseas to Poland, China and India as part of grand plan to cull 8,000 UK staff...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/16/hsbc-job-losses-840-it-staff-uk

8 hours ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

That has always been the case and the EU28 is facing another existential crisis WRT globalisation.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/16/hsbc-job-losses-840-it-staff-uk

Lol that occurred after Brexit vote, thanks for furthering my point. 

Brexit means job losses 

Edited by yelims
10 hours ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

Are you suggesting that the EU/ECB had no idea what was going on within Greece for years?

Yes, that's why I used the description 'Fraud'.

They borrowed money and kept it secret in order to deceive the EU.

The result was a massive boast to GDP which was removed after the crash, they simple returned to their historical growth/GDP rate.

Conservatives Conference App has massive GDPR data breach.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/uk/senior-tory-mps-phone-numbers-exposed-in-cons/

The mobile phone numbers of Chancellor Philip Hammond and former foreign secretary Boris Johnson were among those which could be accessed without a password.

Several ministers, including those with top-ranking security clearance, were reported to have received nuisance calls from the public after the breach.

Anybody could type in an attendee's email address - those of MPs are available on parliament's website - to access their profile.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/the-tories-have-accidentally-revealed-the-personal-mobile

A security flaw allowed anyone who downloaded the app to log in as any attendee to the party conference, which begins in Birmingham tomorrow, using only their email address. No password was required to view any attendee's personal details, including their mobile phone number.

Edited by GrizzlyDave
15 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

Their ongoing war with Turkey.  Preventing another coup. They have spent decades spending big on defence.

That's a weak answer that skirts around the question my friend.

On 29/09/2018 at 06:59, Peter Hun said:

The Greeks committed fraud to get that money from the foreign banks, money that they lavished upon themselves in a massive increase in GDP - which was lost when their fraud was uncovered.

The idea that Greece was a victim is a joke.

What's your opinion regarding Germany not paying back the €279bn it owes Greece?

The people of Greece did not commit fraud. To imply so is nonsensical... do you believe that the people of the UK are responsible for the current housing crisis or Quantitative Easing for example?

The people of Greece are victims - victims of a corrupt financial system, corrupt central banks, corrupted central and local government and a corrupt politico-economic union of which there are 28 member states.

Bond holders, banks, and the IMF bear responsibility for having made irresponsible loans to Greece - The 'joke' is to believe otherwise.

If you take the time to read up on the subject - specifically Goldman Sachs and Germany' involvement in rushing Greece into the Euro, including which other EU member states where using the same derivative SWAP mechanism at the time - I genuinely believe that you'll be quite shocked.

You're doing yourself a disservice to believe what the mainstream report on the Greek situation without taking the time to question. Examining the Greek story will potentially open your eyes up to the EU and provide you with a greater understanding of why so many of us want to leave.

Edited by Mapatasy
10 hours ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

Thousands of times in my lifetime I have seen media reports of mass job losses, my Dad tells me that he remembers things being so bad that there were  regular nightly reports of job losses around the UK.

But I suppose post June 2016 every job that is now lost will be blamed on Brexit

9 minutes ago, inbruges said:

Thousands of times in my lifetime I have seen media reports of mass job losses, my Dad tells me that he remembers things being so bad that there were  regular nightly reports of job losses around the UK.

But I suppose post June 2016 every job that is now lost will be blamed on Brexit

The article dates to before the referendum so the job cut plan was baked in before brexit.

33 minutes ago, Mapatasy said:

That's a weak answer that skirts around the question my friend.

Your question is ******** which ignores Greeks military situation.

34 minutes ago, Mapatasy said:

The people of Greece did not commit fraud. To imply so is nonsensical...

Not the people. The Government.

34 minutes ago, Mapatasy said:

The people of Greece are victims

They were victims a long time before the EU existed. Ignoring pre-2008 history is a convenient excuse to blame the EU for serious issue with Greece's governance going back to the end of WW2, at least

45 minutes ago, Mapatasy said:

You're doing yourself a disservice to believe what the mainstream report on the Greek situation without taking the time to question. Examining the Greek story will potentially open your eyes up to the EU and provide you with a greater understanding of why so many of us want to leave.

I'm glad you have swallowed the story hook, line and sinker, but I don't bother reading Russian propaganda. Feel free to tell me why the Greeks don't and never have wanted to leave the EU and the Euro, there must be a great excuse for it.

20 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

I'm glad you have swallowed the story hook, line and sinker, but I don't bother reading Russian propaganda. Feel free to tell me why the Greeks don't and never have wanted to leave the EU and the Euro, there must be a great excuse for it.

For the same reason long term benefit cheats on housing benefit etc  always want a soft touch Labour party

1 hour ago, inbruges said:

Oh dont worry as the economy crashes I will be right here saying "I told you so"

Maybe eventually it will sink into brexiteer brains that they have been taken for a ride and sold a porkie by various groups who definitely do not have their best intentions in mind.

51 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

Feel free to tell me why the Greeks don't and never have wanted to leave the EU and the Euro, there must be a great excuse for it.

Comedy!

Much more than first anticipated - you really do need to read up.

The Greeks voted to leave the EU and the Euro in their recent referendum.

Edited by Mapatasy

https://www.cer.eu/insights/cost-brexit-june-2018

GBP 500 million per week already lost due to Brexit, stick that on a side of a double decker bus and drive it around

The UK economy is 2.5 per cent smaller than it would be if the UK had voted to remain in the European Union. The latest update of the Centre for European Reform’s calculation of the cost of Brexit in the second quarter of 2018 shows the damage is growing even though the UK has yet to leave the bloc. The knock-on hit to the public finances is now £26 billion per annum – or £500 million a week.

Edited by yelims
43 minutes ago, inbruges said:

For the same reason long term benefit cheats on housing benefit etc  always want a soft touch Labour party

A dramatic increase in suicide rate would suggest the lazy Greeks are paying the price for their skulduggery.

A 20,000+ increase since 2010.

That number pails into insignificance when you take into account otherwise avoidable deaths associated with lack of funding for healthcare and services.

What was the name of that sponging, lazy Greek OAP that blew his head off outside Parliament?

Edited by Mapatasy
7 minutes ago, yelims said:

Oh dont worry as the economy crashes I will be right here saying "I told you so"

Maybe eventually it will sink into brexiteer brains that they have been taken for a ride and sold a porkie by various groups who definitely do not have their best intentions in mind.

Thanks ? 

But to be fair the very same thing could be said about Remainers, but at the end of the day there will be winners and losers, I suspect the very vocal Remainers who are trying to reverse a majority vote have something to lose, I find it quite amusing that so many Remoaners on this thread come out with the line when talking about Brexit "I have this friend who will suffer" as they then go on to say "but I will be just fine blah blah blah".

Away from this thread and moving onto the HPC forum this website has a general consensus that the UK economy and more importantly the housing market has been a house of cards, spinning plates, built on quicksand, hanging by a thread, what ever metaphor you choose to use. It does look like it is going to be the Brexit trigger that brings the whole thing crashing down, but that's not definite yet. If it was not Brexit it would be something else.

2 minutes ago, inbruges said:

Thanks ? 

But to be fair the very same thing could be said about Remainers, but at the end of the day there will be winners and losers, I suspect the very vocal Remainers who are trying to reverse a majority vote have something to lose, I find it quite amusing that so many Remoaners on this thread come out with the line when talking about Brexit "I have this friend who will suffer" as they then go on to say "but I will be just fine blah blah blah".

Away from this thread and moving onto the HPC forum this website has a general consensus that the UK economy and more importantly the housing market has been a house of cards, spinning plates, built on quicksand, hanging by a thread, what ever metaphor you choose to use. It does look like it is going to be the Brexit trigger that brings the whole thing crashing down, but that's not definite yet. If it was not Brexit it would be something else.

How is that 500 million a week NOT going to NHS going?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/29/britain-bill-brexit-hits-500-million-pounds-a-week

3819.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

Edited by yelims
1 minute ago, Mapatasy said:

A dramatic increase in suicide rate would suggest the lazy Greeks are paying the price for their skulduggery.

A 20,000+ increase since 2010.

That number pails into insignificance when you take into account otherwise avoidable deaths associated with lack of funding for healthcare and services.

What was the name of that sponging, lazy OAP in Athens that blew his head off outside Parliament?

Yes, I am sure your data is correct, and again I bet you could use the same suicide data with our welfare state compared to  working people. I despise Labour for constantly keeping people on welfare, I think it's cruel the way they keep so many of them in a state that they are in, like keeping a polar bear or lion in a small cage.

But I am as angry with today's Tories for not offering an alternative