House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

2 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

I haven’t seen any of this on this forum - or on twitter?

Just now, GrizzlyDave said:

Never been asked my thoughts on Argentina and Venezuela, and I haven’t seen it been asked to others?

I’m more than happy to share my views on the topic.

That's because the idea that what happened in Greece isn't of some relevance to whether a country should (or should not be) a member of the EU is frankly idiotic, irrespective of whose fault it was.

An appeal to emotion can be used as an attempt to close off any argument from either side. No right thinking person will support it though.

• Replies 145.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GrizzlyDave

• Confusion of VIs

• thehowler

• jonb2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do.   https://twitter.com/housepricemania

1409 pages....you guys should have your own forum !!!

Oh OK. Shame that really, but hey it looks like @IMHAL helped us both out. Nice repost though, thanks ! Any thoughts ?  

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Before coming to my conclusion that all this talk of EE immigration having a massive impact on wages/unemployment was just Leaver nonsense, I spent a couple of hours looking at the available evidence. I am surprised that you did not do something similar before coming to your strongly held but incorrect view.

You will find reference to many from a simple google search "effect of immigration on wages" 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-latest-news-eu-worker-shortage-uk-pay-rise-a8043221.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-21/u-k-wages-pick-up-with-fewer-foreign-nationals-in-the-workforce

16 hours ago, highYield said:

Farage is probably the most accomplished politician in the past decade or so - and he's done it by not being like the other politicians. 

Nigel Farage is at least clever enough to have stopped trying to persuade people that Russia is the good guy. He knows the limits of what he can get away with.

27 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Headlines in search of a story. 

The text does not support the headline. Real wages continue to fall would be a more accurate headline

45 minutes ago, highYield said:

? 'massive' straw man. I'm arguing that immigration has a significant negative effect on local wages.

Come on, you must be able to find at least one peer reviewed academic study that supports your illogical opinion.

Why bother, you clearly have not intention of believing anything that contradicts with your simplistic/unsupported view.

NB An LSE paper which came to the same conclusion as all the other papers was discussed upstream.  

8 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

The Greeks committed fraud to get that money from the foreign banks, money that they lavished upon themselves in a massive increase in GDP - which was lost when their fraud was uncovered.

The idea that Greece was a victim is a joke.

All Greeks?

Genuine question:  Why didn't they get much of a telling off and why was it brushed under the carpet so quickly? Was it because - courtesy of Goldman - Germany, Italy and Spain were using the same mechanism at exactly the same time?

What's your opinion on why [bankrupted] Greece - one of the smallest countries in the EU became the biggest purchaser of arms during early 'bailout' negotiations with Germany? Arms supplied solely by German and French Arms dealers.

Edited by Mapatasy
16 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Maybe, but don't forget the +2% loss in GDP since the vote will have had an opposing effect. 

The "loss" that's based on projections based on a finger in the air 2 years ago ? 

:lol:

15 hours ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

Confusion. 

You do this a lot. Just completely ignore anything that doesn't fit with your narrative.

Trade deficit best in over 20 years. What you think about that ? :rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Maybe, but don't forget the +2% loss in GDP since the vote will have had an opposing effect. 

Loss of GDP some might say makes the UK a less attractive place to come to look for work and others might see that as a blessing

3 minutes ago, inbruges said:

Loss of GDP some might say makes the UK a less attractive place to come to look for work and others might see that as a blessing

GDP figures = CoVI interest PLUS 100000000%

Trade deficit figured = CoVI interest MINUS 100000000% 

Very strange :lol:

Just now, Confusion of VIs said:

That's true although we would have to get a lot poorer before it reduced numbers enough to be noticable on the street,

as there are plenty of migrants from much poorer countries to take up the slack caused by reduced EU migration.

The point was about the trade deficit....:rolleyes:

8 hours ago, inbruges said:

How silly, nobody wants to loose their job, nobody wants life to become more difficult, sometimes these things are so big and important that you maybe risk what you personally  perceive as being the MOST important. Storming the beaches in WW2 and running up all that debt and with the UK economically in tatters and not to mention the huge threat to life, was more important than worrying about the economy.

Oh, but they did

https://qz.com/1043300/yougov-brexit-poll-leave-voters-are-willing-to-damage-the-uk-economy-and-lose-their-jobs-for-the-sake-of-exiting-the-eu/

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/six-in-10-brexit-voters-say-economic-damage-is-price-worth-paying-for-quitting-eu-a3601476.html

http://uk.businessinsider.com/yougov-poll-leave-voters-happy-for-relatives-to-lose-jobs-over-brexit-2017-8

I suggest you get up to speed on Brexit and what leavers said

8 hours ago, inbruges said:

For years/decades/centuries people have had to stomach a political party that won at a general election that they did not want, more often than not on a minority vote win. Brexit actually won with a majority of the UK vote, why are you wanting things to be so different with this vote

Brexit, like a puppy, is not just for Christmas

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/09/25/what-if-britain-rejoined-the-eu-breaking-up-may-be-less-hard-than-making-up/

An election is for 5 years. Then you can elect a different set of idiots. Brexit is for decades.

I suggest you get up to speed with Brexit