House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

28 minutes ago, HairyOb1 said:

What that I mix with educated people of which a couple, are blue collar?  I'm ok with that thanks.  I lived and worked in America for 3, nigh on 4 years and know a lot of folk, from all walks of life.  Not everyone likes the man, the person or the president.

You don't need meetings to leverage a situation.  Tell me, how many times was anyone bombed under previous administrations?  None.  

What has Trump achieved, come on, answer that..

Err - thousands...:D

27 minutes ago, HairyOb1 said:

...and what happened due to that meeting?  Did weapons stop being produced?  Did he hand over the codes?  Has anything changed?

Negotiations are progressing. Whether they end well or not is another debate. He has kicked it off though. He deserves credit for that. Whatever your thoughts on him . 

• Replies 135.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GrizzlyDave

• Confusion of VIs

• jonb2

• thehowler

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do.   https://twitter.com/housepricemania

1409 pages....you guys should have your own forum !!!

Oh OK. Shame that really, but hey it looks like @IMHAL helped us both out. Nice repost though, thanks ! Any thoughts ?  

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, ccc said:

Err - thousands...:D

Negotiations are progressing. Whether they end well or not is another debate. He has kicked it off though. He deserves credit for that. Whatever your thoughts on him . 

Literal boy strikes again; obviously North Korea; how many again?

BS, the negotiations have started only because of crippling sanctions imposed by previous regimes.  Whatever you think of Obama, he was strong as regards NK.  

6 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

However, it is not only the Withdrawal Agreement that must be finalised. The parties must also conclude discussions on the framework for a future relationship, taking in trade, security and much else – with the production of a political declaration, the text of which has to be submitted for agreement by all parties. 

Guess that comes down to how much detail framework implies?

1 minute ago, HairyOb1 said:

Literal boy strikes again; obviously North Korea; how many again?

BS, the negotiations have started only because of crippling sanctions imposed by previous regimes.  Whatever you think of Obama, he was strong as regards NK.  

You think what's happening now in North Korea is due to previous US leaders ? :blink:

Come on. You don't actually think that - do you ? 

11 minutes ago, HairyOb1 said:

If you're not from Washington, ex pat, then apologies, wrong person.  As for the rest, couldn't give a shit. I loved it over there, software house in my niche area, travel, probably the one place you could go to and not want to leave in the whole world, has it all, including a shit for brains president who's still not achieved anything other than division and ridicule.

No that's not me. No idea why you feel you need to write the last part. It just illustrates how emotionally attached/invested you are.  I highly doubt you can really see a clear picture. Subquently it's difficult to really take what you say on the matter seriously.

Just now, CanAffordWontPay said:

No that's not me. No idea why you feel you need to write the last part. It just illustrates how emotionally attached/invested you are.  I highly doubt you can really see a clear picture. Subquently it's difficult to really take what you say on the matter seriously.

I genuinely don't give a shit what you think, being honest, so fill your boots.

You can move on now, the personal stuff is kind of weird.

7 minutes ago, ccc said:

Both :D

Good chat from both sides. But terrible banter imo as well. 

My aim, is to attempt to get to the truth...however, with such an emotive subject, its very hard to get to that state..  I will attempt "more bantz" (did I just say that?)?

Edited by Dave Beans
1 minute ago, HairyOb1 said:

We're all guilty :D

Some more than others. :D

Well myself being a raging racist and all.

Aside from my gypo and west Indian roots. :D

7 hours ago, Riedquat said:

If they were open about not negotiating they wouldn't have appointed a negotiator. Calling it a sop is excusing being two-faced if that's the truth of it.

You're right about May but as I've said a few times before don't think that I hold our own government in any higher regard. That said meaning it is fine, but refusing to even contemplating budging is just pig-headed.

Negotiator within the preset confines of the mandate given to him, what's so hard to understand about that.

Genuine question about the Irish Border - not seen this idea mentioned anywhere, please pick holes in this suggestion.

Currently there is free movement of goods between Europe mainland, Rep of Ireland, N.Ireland etc.

If there is a NO DEAL Brexit, and Britain goes with the WTO rules, then there will be tariffs that should be added to any goods that are moved from the EU to Britain. Obviously, these can be enforced at the English ports, but of course, goods could be shipped from France to Ireland, then into N.Ireland, and of course over to England/Scotland (obviously this would be considerably more expensive that going directly from Northern France/Belgium/Netherlands to the Southern English ports).

But what happens if Britain just decides not to enforce the tariffs? How are we in any worse situation that we are now? Any EU country can currently export to Britain, and have been able to do so for many years? Do we really need these tariffs?

(Remember goods from OUTSIDE the EU would still have to come into the EU, and therefore this would not be a loophole for American/Chinese companies)

Or alternatively,  we advise the European exporters, that it is their responsibility to declare and pay the tariffs, and of course there could be random customs checks ANYWHERE within N.Ireland (NOT at the border), and additional checks as the lorries come off the ferries in Scotland/England.

Any exporters caught cheating, pay multi-million pound fines, seizure of the goods, transportation company gets banned from entering the UK, (if a British firm, business gets forfeited) and drivers heavily fined.

Britain also passes a law, that states any goods exported from the EU must pass through the English ports, and only goods destined for N.Ireland can come in via the Republic.

Then it is up to the EU to decide what they want to do about British exports, but again they could pass similar laws, and ensure that only N.Irish produce for the EU can cross into the Republic,  with all mainland British exports having to be processed via the English ports.

Edited by jaseywasey
8 hours ago, jonb2 said:

HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA !!!

How, where, what, when ????

Iceland (EFTA and EEA member) was the first European country to sign a free trade agreement with China. The rules of EFTA/EEA allow EFTA members to sign trade agreements independently of both the EU and other EFTA members though they can work together if they want.

4 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

What's happening right now is that Kim is accelerating his Nuclear weapons programme. How do you paint that as a success.

Wow. Anything against Trump is correct aye ?

:lol:

3 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

I'm bitterly disappointed that the Chequers deal doesn't contain a single word about Polish food aisles.  It's as if they don't care what ordinary people think.  Complete betrayal!  ;)

No reduction near me. This means the utter ******** that the eastern Europeans are "going home" after the brexit vote is exactly that. Utter ********.

Feel free to offer a coherent logical argument to the opposite. 

But you won't. As you can't. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, jaseywasey said:

Genuine question about the Irish Border - not seen this idea mentioned anywhere, please pick holes in this suggestion.

Currently there is free movement of goods between Europe mainland, Rep of Ireland, N.Ireland etc.

If there is a NO DEAL Brexit, and Britain goes with the WTO rules, then there will be tariffs that should be added to any goods that are moved from the EU to Britain. Obviously, these can be enforced at the English ports, but of course, goods could be shipped from France to Ireland, then into N.Ireland, and of course over to England/Scotland (obviously this would be considerably more expensive that going directly from Northern France/Belgium/Netherlands to the Southern English ports).

But what happens if Britain just decides not to enforce the tariffs? How are we in any worse situation that we are now? Any EU country can currently export to Britain, and have been able to do so for many years? Do we really need these tariffs?

(Remember goods from OUTSIDE the EU would still have to come into the EU, and therefore this would not be a loophole for American/Chinese companies)

Or alternatively,  we advise the European exporters, that it is their responsibility to declare and pay the tariffs, and of course there could be random customs checks ANYWHERE within N.Ireland (NOT at the border), and additional checks as the lorries come off the ferries in Scotland/England.

Any exporters caught cheating, pay multi-million pound fines, seizure of the goods, transportation company gets banned from entering the UK, (if a British firm, business gets forfeited) and drivers heavily fined.

Britain also passes a law, that states any goods exported from the EU must pass through the English ports, and only goods destined for N.Ireland can come in via the Republic.

Then it is up to the EU to decide what they want to do about British exports, but again they could pass similar laws, and ensure that only N.Irish produce for the EU can cross into the Republic,  with all mainland British exports having to be processed via the English ports.

In this imaginary scenario I think there would still be a deleterious impact to the RoI as it produces a lot of dairy and transports live animals; which would suffer/degrade in the extended transportation route (even if it was super slick).

Did Resignation of Boris and DD untangle May's hands? And we see from her real tactical genius of our times, switching from a hard to soft Brexit. As a result hard Brexiters can only look with disbelief unable to do anything without destroying party and help Jeremy Corbyn become PM.

15 minutes ago, rollover said:

Did Resignation of Boris and DD untangle May's hands? And we see from her real tactical genius of our times, switching from a hard to soft Brexit. As a result hard Brexiters can only look with disbelief unable to do anything without destroying party and help Jeremy Corbyn become PM.

As others on here have intelligently pointed out; the next chapter in this saga is over to the EU. If there is a generally positive response to her white paper - then soft brexit with TM at the helm looks achievable; and the disgruntled hard brexiteers will find it difficult to unsettle that position. However if the EU talk about cherries and indivisiblity, and illusions - then I could see a leadership challenge mounted by hard brexiteers; and hard/no deal once again front and centre.

I hate the Tories, But do see SM+CU(lite) as a credible outcome.

Edited by GrizzlyDave