House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

IMF Brexit warning

IMF downgraded its UK growth forecast today and warned that a hard Brexit would push up taxes, slow down growth and destroy jobs.

In a keynote report, the global economic watchdog urged Britain to strike a deal that would protect trade with Europe. It said any loss of City jobs and firms would put more pressure on public finances, extend austerity and lead to tax rises.

A good deal would protect existing trade, investment and migration, the report said. “The higher any new barriers are to the cross-border flow of services, goods and workers, the more negative the impact would be,” it added.

In a blow to supporters of a hard Brexit such as Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, the IMF poured scorn on the Leave campaign’s claim that quitting the European Union would release billions for the NHS. In reality, just a one per cent reduction in future growth levels would “more than offset the gains” from lower contributions to the EU, it said.

Brexit is slowing the UK economy. It said: “The sharp depreciation of sterling following the referendum pushed up consumer price inflation, squeezing household real income and consumption. Business investment growth has been lower than would be expected ... owing to heightened uncertainty.” Interest rates will have to rise at “a faster pace” if inflation or labour costs are pushed up by Brexit pressures. In the case of a “disorderly Brexit”, where talks break down, there would be “sharp falls in asset prices”.

Ms Lagarde, the IMF managing director, said all the warnings made during the Brexit debate were coming true. ES

It looks like one of the last nails into hard Brexit.

• Replies 145.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GrizzlyDave

• Confusion of VIs

• thehowler

• jonb2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do.   https://twitter.com/housepricemania

1409 pages....you guys should have your own forum !!!

Oh OK. Shame that really, but hey it looks like @IMHAL helped us both out. Nice repost though, thanks ! Any thoughts ?  

Posted Images

I wanted to share this (remainers look away now).

Went to see to older distant relatives, we catch up every year about Xmas. They brought up Brexit and went on about being concerned that immigrants would still be allowed to come in. They wanted a hard Brexit regardless of the concequences, the only source of input for them was the gospel according to St Nigel of Farage.

I explained to them the situation, that we have control of immigrants from outside of the EU and that immigration from inside of the EU has peaked and is declining. They thought that all immigration was due to EU dictate and that we had no choice. I explained the true situation. I also explained that we would hurt if we had a hard Brexit, loss of customers etc etc. I explained that the majority of the rules that the EU make are to do with trade and that we have/had an input into each and every one.

Funnilly they did not see the immigrants as spongers, they thought that they worked and paid their taxes (thats a suprise I thought!), but they said that in the light of austerity and with an influx of peoples, then their services and facilities suffered whilst immigration was still proceeding a pace. I guess they saw it as a breakdown of the social contract. When I explained that the reason that austerity was necessary was due to the banking crisis and the 'cosey' relationship between bankers and the government, over leverage, too much debt and subsequent collapse of the financial system. They agreed that this was the root cause (because services needed to be cut as a consequence). I then explained that blaming immigrants was pointless, it was a homeegrown problem, made in the UK. And that it was the older trick in the book, used countless times by politicians as a mean to breed discontent and gain power. They agreed.

I said my goodbyes - and  they said they still want a hard Brexit. It was as if the conversation has zero effect. They simply did not care - they then proceeded to explain that getting away from the EU/Germany in the the same way as war mentality. We concquered the Germans, we suffered yes, but we saw off those Krauts. They are still living in World War 2 and this is a repeat. I expect that mentality is rife up and down the country amongst the older generation.

Depressing.

EDIT: Conclusion - logic will not defeat Brexit. It is as if we as a nation have been hypnotised, unable to think for ourselves and unable to assimilate the facts, make reasoned conclusions based on them. Totally F-ing depressing. I see the same 'condition' here time after time. Logic simply does not work.

Edited by IMHAL
4 hours ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

1. The frequent use of xenophobia/c as a tag, is a distraction technique employed by intolerant and prejudiced posters. 

2. Indeed, but it took three posts to get an indirect reply from you WRT controlled immigration is not xenophobic question. Then again , you never continued the debate on this occasion:

On 10/09/2017 at 2:42 PM, pig said:

Er no - maybe this is one for Riedquat !

Off the cuff thought experiment but maybe it has legs.

We're trashing the pound, the economy may follow (complicated one that!)  and thence the country. This is all 'worth it' for Leavers for a smorgasboard  of interesting, daft and clearly post-rationalised excuses. But hey, ideas and stories have a habit of outliving common sense.

Taking that as read however it's not just continentals that will be thinking of leaving  but also UK citizens. 

So then why get rid of FoM just as the future starts looking more attractive elsewhere ? 

There are plenty of Boomer depopulationistas - they cling to memories of calmer times like a dead dandelion in a diary. And there are plenty of non-xenophobic Brits who would jump at the chance of opportunities on the continent.

Surely giving the UK the freedom to depopulate would unite both groups and hence the country ?

Do you think that controlled immigration was a post-rationalised excuse? I do see uncontrolled, particularly unskilled, immigration as a serious issue for any country. 

The end of FoM will just see the visa framework for the RotW modified to include EU citizens.  Opportunities for UK citizens to work on the continent would be no different to now; it's just what visa/permit requirements the EU will expect. 

I'm in the optimum population camp but this was an interesting read on the depopulation of Bulgaria:

Why is Bulgaria's population falling off a cliff?

In 1989, almost nine million people lived in Bulgaria. Now, it is a little over seven million. By 2050, that number is projected to be less than 5.5 million. By the end of the century, it could be close to half what it is now.

As far as xenophobia is concerned :blink::

"Bulgaria doesn't need uneducated refugees," says Deputy Prime Minister Valeri Simeonov, a leader of the United Patriots, an anti-immigrant grouping forming part of the coalition government.

Nor would Bulgarian society accept educated and skilled migrants, Mr Simeonov says.

"They have a different culture, different religion, even different daily habits," he says. "And thank God Bulgaria so far is one of the most-well defended countries from Europe's immigrant influx."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41109572

1. Meh, plausible but reallly it’s just a ‘what you say is what you are’ response. File under infant school and Daily Mail, Daily Express, Sun etc etc guilty editorial.

2. Glad I afforded you the chance to get that off your chest but .... meh 2 ...funnily enough I refer you back (again) to the original post you went to the trouble of reposting.

While we all accuse each other of racism, and sneer at Little Englanders, everything is fine in the EU itself!  - Or rather, in the real world!, how Italy turned Eurosceptic:

https://www.politico.eu/article/italy-euroskeptic-surge-migration-crisis-eu/?utm_source=CapX+briefing&utm_campaign=9d54bcac90-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_07_17&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b5017135a0-9d54bcac90-2418244457

"The study found that if Italy were to hold a referendum on EU membership, 51 percent of voters under 45 would vote to leave, while 46 percent would vote to remain. In contrast, respondents over 45 supported staying in the bloc by 68 percent to 26 percent."

As always, its who pays. The EU projext staggers to failure, thank heavens we voted out (if they let us! as in Italy TPTB want to keep their privileges!)

55 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

Went to see to older distant relatives, we catch up every year about Xmas. They brought up Brexit and went on about being concerned that immigrants would still be allowed to come in. They wanted a hard Brexit regardless of the concequences, the only source of input for them was the gospel according to St Nigel of Farage.

I explained to them the situation, that we have control of immigrants from outside of the EU and that immigration from inside of the EU has peaked and is declining. They thought that all immigration was due to EU dictate and that we had no choice. I explained the true situation. I also explained that we would hurt if we had a hard Brexit, loss of customers etc etc. I explained that the majority of the rules that the EU make are to do with trade and that we have/had an input into each and every one.

Funnilly they did not see the immigrants as spongers, they thought that they worked and paid their taxes (thats a suprise I thought!), but they said that in the light of austerity and with an influx of peoples, then their services and facilities suffered whilst immigration was still proceeding a pace. I guess they saw it as a breakdown of the social contract. When I explained that the reason that austerity was necessary was due to the banking crisis and the 'cosey' relationship between bankers and the government, over leverage, too much debt and subsequent collapse of the financial system. They agreed that this was the root cause (because services needed to be cut as a consequence). I then explained that blaming immigrants was pointless, it was a homeegrown problem, made in the UK. And that it was the older trick in the book, used countless times by politicians as a mean to breed discontent and gain power. They agreed.

I said my goodbyes - and  they said they still want a hard Brexit. It was as if the conversation has zero effect. They simply did not care - they then proceeded to explain that getting away from the EU/Germany in the the same way as war mentality. We concquered the Germans, we suffered yes, but we saw off those Krauts. They are still living in World War 2 and this is a repeat. I expect that mentality is rife up and down the country amongst the older generation.

Depressing.

EDIT: Conclusion - logic will not defeat Brexit. It is as if we as a nation have been hypnotised, unable to think for ourselves and unable to assimilate the facts, make reasoned conclusions based on them. Totally F-ing depressing. I see the same 'condition' here time after time. Logic simply does not work.

That sounds like a fun Xmas catchup. Jesus would have been proud.

1 hour ago, IMHAL said:

I said my goodbyes - and  they said they still want a hard Brexit. It was as if the conversation has zero effect. They simply did not care

Errr...

1 hour ago, IMHAL said:

EDIT: Conclusion - logic will not defeat Brexit

Hi. Captain obvious here, have you not been paying attention for the last two years? 

Brexiters want out of the EU and to end freedom of movement, at any cost. Trade deals, sovereignty, blah, blah. All sleight of hand. The real issue is foreigners. Foreigners shouldn't be allowed to come here so freely and foreigners shouldn't have any input on UK laws. Using logic cannot defeat this emotional view.

1 hour ago, IMHAL said:

Depressing.

Yep !!!

You are developing an uncanny spotlight...

Below (again!!!) the post Sheeple is misusing.

I’ve also started looking a little past  what is actually argued and trying to get under the skin if what is really going on.

In truth it’s a flawed provocative post but I think we’re both trying to circle around what lies beneath.

On 25/11/2017 at 7:05 PM, pig said:

That agenda is worth further consideration  though.

Underneath it seems to describe a fear of losing national autonomy (whatever the reality is in practice).

In turn, that seems to have been superglued to the insecurities of the white anglophiles (and needless to say  onto full on xenophobia).

Hence an almost incontinence of bullsh1t theories nevertheless founded on the success of colour/class/culture coding of pre-modern/Imperial Britain - meaning especially the role of white English.

Isnt that what needs addressing ? 

I’m kind of more concerned by where the ‘wilful credulity’ is coming from than the actual arguments it spawns.

EDIT

Jusr to be clear while the slippery slide into xenophobia/racism is obvious that’s not specifically what I’m getting at.

Haven't seen this posted here yet-seems all's not well in EU land

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/poland-rule-of-law-article-7-authoritarianism-independence-of-judiciary-a8120196.html

Now they want to kick Poland out- Hungary and other Visegrad countries will be next. Admitting EE countries with lagging economies and democratic institutions was always moronic and will ultimately prove to be the undoing of the EU

1 hour ago, dugsbody said:

Errr...

Hi. Captain obvious here, have you not been paying attention for the last two years? 

Brexiters want out of the EU and to end freedom of movement, at any cost. Trade deals, sovereignty, blah, blah. All sleight of hand. The real issue is foreigners. Foreigners shouldn't be allowed to come here so freely and foreigners shouldn't have any input on UK laws. Using logic cannot defeat this emotional view.

If you speak for brexiters, then......

I agree, on the whole Brexiters don't understand reason, have an issue with foreigners and are driven by some sort of irrational emotional response to empire/WW2/WW1 or some other crap that is in their heads like a stuck record.

In short, the very definition of moronic.

Edited by IMHAL
1 hour ago, dryrot said:

While we all accuse each other of racism, and sneer at Little Englanders, everything is fine in the EU itself!  - Or rather, in the real world!, how Italy turned Eurosceptic:

https://www.politico.eu/article/italy-euroskeptic-surge-migration-crisis-eu/?utm_source=CapX+briefing&utm_campaign=9d54bcac90-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_07_17&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b5017135a0-9d54bcac90-2418244457

"The study found that if Italy were to hold a referendum on EU membership, 51 percent of voters under 45 would vote to leave, while 46 percent would vote to remain. In contrast, respondents over 45 supported staying in the bloc by 68 percent to 26 percent."

As always, its who pays. The EU projext staggers to failure, thank heavens we voted out (if they let us! as in Italy TPTB want to keep their privileges!)

So, if there was a vote Italy would vote to stay in by a wide margin?

1 minute ago, Confusion of VIs said:

We will have an easier family Christmas. The two relations who voted Brexit (both ex NHS workers) because of the "promise" to  give £350m a week to the NHS now realise they were conned and have changed their view.

Some hope! - #notallpeoplewhovotebrexitaremorons <_<

5 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

Some hope! - #notallpeoplewhovotebrexitaremorons <_<

Maybe a special case, they both have family still working in the NHS and knew that the reality was Brexit has made things worse. My wife explaining last Christmas that her trust had to cancel plans to replace their 15 year old MRI machines, that cannot detect small tumors, with modern machines that can because of the post vote fall in the £ was probably the clincher.   

1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Maybe a special case, they both have family still working in the NHS and knew that the reality was Brexit has made things worse. My wife explaining last Christmas that her trust had to cancel plans to replace their 15 year old MRI machines, that cannot detect small tumors, with modern machines that can because of the post vote fall in the £ was probably the clincher.   

So you are saying.... I should'nt get my hopes up..............and don't get cancer.

Have a nice Xmas too.:(

Good to hear that some are cottoning on.

Edited by IMHAL
1 hour ago, thirdwave said:

Haven't seen this posted here yet-seems all's not well in EU land

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/poland-rule-of-law-article-7-authoritarianism-independence-of-judiciary-a8120196.html

Now they want to kick Poland out- Hungary and other Visegrad countries will be next. Admitting EE countries with lagging economies and democratic institutions was always moronic and will ultimately prove to be the undoing of the EU

So the EU is doing a sterling job of holding them to açcount...don't see the brits having much influence in this... is it because we don't care?  

Its not a 'local' matter.... so long as it does'nt affect Royston Vasey it is Ok!

Edited by IMHAL
11 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Yay to the EU for globalisation now is it? That's been a great success but hey, let's come up with a belittling lable like "Little Englander" and pretend that they want the opposite extreme for anyone not convinced by it.

But then there were the official Remainer campaigners who were saying that if we left the EU the migrants would flood in from France. If the EU is so great and it is essential to be an non racist European Union citizen why were they campaigning to retain the current status quo of retaining the pound sterling and current arrangements with France and the opt out of Schengen?   We should be out of the EU or fully in, not some half way house with our own money and frontier with Europe, as at present, which the Remainers want.

Edited by Take Me Back To London!
4 hours ago, IMHAL said:

Depressing.

Be nice to them and get into their will.

They'll be dead soon.

That's the best I can say about these people. 

18 minutes ago, Take Me Back To London! said:

But then there were the official Remainer campaigners who were saying that if we left the EU the migrants would flood in from France. If the EU is so great and it is essential to be an non racist European Union citizen why were they campaigning to retain the current status quo of retaining the pound sterling and current arrangements with France and the opt out of Schengen?   We should be out of the EU or fully in, not some half way house with our own money and frontier with Europe, as at present, which the Remainers want.

Why, we were having our cake and eating it?

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86711

I can't really disagree with the sentiment...We'll now spend ten years rebuilding an FTA which will be a poorer relation to the EEA - "ahh, but you can't be half in, half out" can you?  We'll still have to abide by the single market acquis to sell in to the EU, but will have no say on how those rules are created..

Thus, by crossing out different models of cooperation that are available, Barnier concludes that we (the EU) logically end up working to a free trade agreement, along the lines of what we negotiated or signed with Canada, South Korea and more recently Japan. 

Borrowing, perhaps subconsciously the phrasing from Theresa May, Barnier then says, "I want to be extremely clear", going on to say that there is no ambiguity. There are differences with models, since each of these models of cooperation and commerce is naturally adapted to the country with which the agreement is made. But the logic remains the same. It will be the same logic for the negotiations we will have with the United Kingdom. 

All we are going to get, then, is a Canada-style agreement. There is no Canada-plus, much less a plus-plus-plus. A "bog standard Canada" is all that will be on offer, "naturally adapted" to the specific circumstances of the UK. 

This is a marked contrast to expressed expectations of No. 10, which is still calling for a "bespoke" agreement which is "significantly more ambitious" than the EU's deal with Canada. 

Edited by Dave Beans
5 hours ago, IMHAL said:

Depressing.

Only a show of (democratic) force from the young and those not afflicted with 'who won the war anyway?' syndrome will be able to defeat this mentality.

8 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Nuh-uh. The brexiters inform me that the drop in the pound is completely neutral because fancy stuff and exporters which means there is no difference to us everyman. Besides the pound was overvalued anyway and when it recently went up due to signs of a UK/EU agreement it was momentarily undervalued but will soon be overvalued again when it starts to fall. It is always heading in the right direction because brexit is the will of the people.

11 hours ago, IMHAL said:

Depressing.

Yes, you are right on the money and this I why I compare Brexit to a religious movement. Have you ever engaged a doorstepping Jehovah's Witness in an argument about the finer points of their religion? When I was 18 and still living at home I did, and the entire process was exactly the same as you described... You present logic & facts and eventually you seem to be getting agreement only to realise that none of what you said ever actually reached their cerebral cortex and their deeply held beliefs remain intact.

The good news is that I believe this applies only to around 70% of those who voted Leave. There is a significant minority who voted using the application of logic (even if it was twisted logic like "I voted leave as a protest vote"). Some were misinformed and as this sorry pantomime plays out, they are realising the error of their ways.

11 hours ago, highYield said:

That sounds like a fun Xmas catchup. Jesus would have been proud.

It was fun. I enjoy their company and love them dearly. I received a more honest and open view, a clearer insight and a better idea of the key driver to what makes brexit tick.

They are also curious - because of confirmation biase, they have gravitated to a single source of information. My view for them was very different to their perceived reality. 

11 hours ago, dugsbody said:

Errr...

There is some kind a mental barrier in their mind that divides people into we and them. They just can't think us. In London suburbia where I live there is a house waving a St George flag on a mast in the neighborhood with people from around the world, Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese, Poles. I think the guy feels to be under siege and this is his way to mark a spot as English among surrounding "barbarians". A desperate attempt to cling to the old world.       

1 hour ago, dugsbody said:

Nuh-uh. The brexiters inform me that the drop in the pound is completely neutral because fancy stuff and exporters which means there is no difference to us everyman. Besides the pound was overvalued anyway and when it recently went up due to signs of a UK/EU agreement it was momentarily undervalued but will soon be overvalued again when it starts to fall. It is always heading in the right direction because brexit is the will of the people.

Anything that confirms brexit as a mistake is rubished or labelled fake news. The imf, government forecasts, business consortia, etc etc etc.

The army of robotic brexit zombies will not be stopped by logic, they will keep advancing as they chant 'we.......don't..........want..........foreigners'   'shut.......the......borders'     'leave.......the......eu.........now'.

One of the Marx brothers once said, 'Please accept my resignation, I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member'. Twisted logic? - we don't want to be part of the worlds largest trading block - Twisted logic?