House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

3 hours ago, ****-eyed octopus said:

And you would say that wouldn't you.

What is wrong with the article?

It's the sort of fodder that appears on the RT site all the time. I am the first to admit that the EU has problems. But sniping at the EU, rather than face up to the problems we have here makes me dismiss as merely fuel to the fire. More distraction from the real problems caused by the Tories.

I thought Brexit was to raise a finger to the elites. Yet unHerd is funded by a wealthy hedge fund boss, a leaver, who has no contribution to make to the well-being of the UK. Unless you think hedge funds are our new future after Brexit?

So vested interests. It confirms my view that there are a lot of very wealthy people that will do very well out of Brexit. On the other hand, we, the people, will burn out watching the decline and dismemberment of everything we've achieved in the last couple of centuries.

We will also know we had a hand in it. Well half of us anyway.

9 minutes ago, kzb said:

It wasn't about this.  We are talking about the EU directed minimum conditions, which are generally poorer than under UK legislation. 

Yes the majority of EU countries also exceed these minimum conditions, but that is not the point.  The point was about people apparently believing the only thing saving them from slavery is the EU.  That cannot be true if the EU minima are worse than UK legislation minima.

Brexit is to rid the UK of workers regulation, always has been.

https://www.tuc.org.uk/blogs/brexit-and-your-rights-work-–-why-you-should-be-worried

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-david-davis-thatcher-deregulation-free-trade-tory-party-conservatives-a8219576.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-worker-rights-impact-assessment-eu-withdrawal-leaked-theresa-may-a8201176.html

9 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

Access to an infinite pool of workers, posted workers etc have undermined our conditions, especially at the bottom end.  It's supply and demand that is the key to being appreciated I am afraid.

Second, "hard won" rights is correct.  They were won by previous generations in unions and the old Labour movement.  Not by the EU.

1 minute ago, kzb said:

Access to an infinite pool of workers, posted workers etc have undermined our conditions, especially at the bottom end.  It's supply and demand that is the key to being appreciated I am afraid.

Second, "hard won" rights is correct.  They were won by previous generations in unions and the old Labour movement.  Not by the EU.

The Tories are in power, not Labour. The Tories will win the next election thanks to Brexit being a majority right wing idea. Most EU governments are not as right wing as the Tories.

Ergo, worker's rights will go. The fact that May has not agreed to rule out change to workers rights should be telling. The idea is to lure companies here on the promise of a low wage workforce.

19 minutes ago, yelims said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/households-have-taken-a-1500-hit-since-eu-referendum-report-finds-a4062976.html

Brexit already cost each family 1500 pounds, congratulations,  hope it's worth it. 

"The report acknowledges that "no-one can say definitely how much of that lost income is exclusively down to the Brexit effect but it's hard not to conclude that Brexit must be the single biggest factor".

So you assume what you cannot demonstrate. And some people are naive enough to actually believe this stuff.

1 hour ago, kzb said:

Exactly right ...Labour's position in thinking that workers will be adequately protected by regulations is naive...and the evidence supports this as conditions get worse as supply of labour increases.

18 minutes ago, crouch said:

"The report acknowledges that "no-one can say definitely how much of that lost income is exclusively down to the Brexit effect but it's hard not to conclude that Brexit must be the single biggest factor".

So you assume what you cannot demonstrate. And some people are naive enough to actually believe this stuff.

And others are naïve enough to dismiss it. 

10 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

The word is traitorous,  brexiters will do more damage than terrorism ever managed,  and for what? Blue passports printed in France?

11 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

It is disingenuous. The headline clearly implies that the full loss is due to Brexit whereas the truth is in my quote. You can accept with no reason; to dismiss usually needs a reason.

52 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Nonsense.

Reminds me of that spoof  you tube video during the Referendum campaign - with 'Claire Voyant from the highly respected independent EU funded think tank Vested (Interests) announcing that following a survey of eight wealthy businessmen every hard working family in the UK would be £4.5 million a year worse off' if we voted to leave the EU.

Can't say I have noticed I am £1,500 worse off - I have had a promotion at work since we voted to leave so I am better off!

These fictional numbers based on meaningless averages and dubious data didn't work then either.

Still good to sea the usual measured responses on here 'Brexiters will do more damage than terrorism ever managed?😏

Edited by MARTINX9

2 minutes ago, Chunketh said:

Don't forget about ridding us of the NHS. 

Yes - that has always been Dennis Skinner and Jeremy Corbyn and Tony Benn's secret plan - after all they all voted against the EU/EEC at every opportunity during their political careers (well until June 2016 in Corbyn's case!).

The EU didn't invent the NHS - the UK did as an independent country.

Edited by MARTINX9

1 minute ago, MARTINX9 said:

Yes - that has always been Dennis Skinner and Jeremy Corbyn and Tony Benn's secret plan - after all they all voted against the EU/EEC at every opportunity during their political careers (well until June 2016 in Corbyn's case!).

We don't have a Labour government. By the time they achieve power again it will be too late.

43 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Reminds me of that spoof  you tube video during the Referendum campaign - with 'Claire Voyant from the highly respected independent EU funded think tank Vested (Interests) announcing that following a survey of eight wealthy businessmen every hard working family in the UK would be £4.5 million a year worse off' if we voted to leave the EU.

Can't say I have noticed I am £1,500 worse off - I have had a promotion at work since we voted to leave so I am better off!

These fictional numbers based on meaningless averages and dubious data didn't work then either.

Still good to sea the usual measured responses on here 'Brexiters will do more damage than terrorism ever managed?😏

Exactly. I’ve raked it in the last couple of years; most I’ve ever earned.

_105203628_earnings.cpi.plot-nc.png

5 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Exactly. I’ve raked it in the last couple of years; most I’ve ever earned.

_105203628_earnings.cpi.plot-nc.png

By eye, to me that graph says in the 2.5yrs before the referendum real wage growth was around 5% and in the 2.5yrs since the referendum it was about 0%.

In the run up to the referendum all the forecasts were that the UK was on a roll. I remember one even saying it was the start of a golden decade for us, sadly it didn't turn out that way. I wonder why that was.

1 hour ago, crouch said:

It is disingenuous. The headline clearly implies that the full loss is due to Brexit whereas the truth is in my quote. You can accept with no reason; to dismiss usually needs a reason.

Have you met many leavers? 

GD's graph shows pretty clearly where that £1.500 estimate comes from. It may not all be down to Brexit but given the unexpected uptick in the world economy in global growth that occurred during 2017 you could equally argue that the Brexit effect was more than £1,500. 

14 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

By eye, to me that graph says in the 2.5yrs before the referendum real wage growth was around 5% and in the 2.5yrs since the referendum it was about 0%.

In the run up to the referendum all the forecasts were that the UK was on a roll. I remember one even saying it was the start of a golden decade for us, sadly it didn't turn out that way. I wonder why that was.

46 days away from the start of our golden age 😉

50 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

46 days away from the start of our golden age 😉

Let's hope it's not 46 days away from getting shafted (as a journo put it to May at a recent press conference) by Theresa May's regime.

To clarify, there is no better deal than the one we already have ie remaining in the EU. If we must leave then we should leave with no deal and see what we can make of it.

Edited by Bruce Banner

25 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Let's hope it's not 46 days away from getting shafted (as a journo put it to May at a recent press conference) by Theresa May's regime.

To clarify, there is no better deal than the one we already have ie remaining in the EU. If we must leave then we should leave with no deal and see what we can make of it.

Aye.

We are coming to the end game. remainers will throw everything at the stop brexit cause.

HorribleRawAmericanbittern-size_restrict

So.....we hear that Brexit is not about the ecomony (stoopid)..... it's apparently about other things...like sovereignty.

Let Brexiteers tell us what benefits our new found sovereignty  will bring us over the sovereignty we possess right now. Any takers?

45 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Post hard Brexit, the UK will most likely implement a version of Mrs May's deal..in the form of an association agreement..