House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
3 minutes ago, copydude said:

I didn't see it that way, having just watched it on iPlayer. I thought his point was that there is nothing to offer Leavers at this time. (1)

I'm usually rather BBC averse, but it's not a bad programme and the level of debate is stratospheres higher than the cheering, jeering and name calling we see in the House. You have to wonder about introducing entrance exams for candidate MPs.

On the contrary. It's the perfect can-kicker. Extend and pretend!  (I think on This Week, six months to a year was mooted.)

(1)  I've not watched it again, but I recall the point was more about parliament having to put in place the legislation for a 2nd ref.  This would  be perceived by the population as parliament trying to enable Remain by the back door.  So it was not simply that he didn't want it because Remain would win.  It was because parliament would be seen to be favouring the 2nd-ref campaign, which is simply another name for a Remain campaign organisation.  A bit different.

HOLA442
52 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I don't disagree but, with rates this low most people who cannot sell don't become forced sellers. QE isn't happening now but will be restarted  if we get a hard Brexit, which will make mortgages more available and cheaper.

They have been this for ten years though, and transactions are still falling as are mortgage approvals, and people still voted with a majority for something that we were told would immediately crash house prices?

HOLA443

Theresa May to block John Bercow's peerage

. . . for 'appalling behaviour

Too funny. People were joking about this at the time, breaking with precedent, and she's actually doing it. 

Talk about 'hell hath no fury like a difficult woman . . . 

HOLA444
1 hour ago, dances with sheeple said:

Debateable, mortgage approvals and sales transactions are way down, meaning people fear paying too much and banks fear defaults if rates rise IMO. The transactions/approvals are way down meaning that debt is unattractive even at these rates, and also see the thread on credit card debt demand tumbling as well. The QE experiment isn`t really working now, it isn`t going to work in the future either IMO.

On Radio 4 earlier this week it said house sales transactions are spot on the average for the time of year.  Also the average price is  +2.9%.

HOLA445

Handelsblatt TodayVerified account @HandelsblattGE
FollowFollow @HandelsblattGE
More

The European Commission proposed EU countries should conclude a new free trade deal with the US, liberating industrial goods from duties and unifying product standards. The plan builds on a July agreement with Donald Trump. #tariffs #international

So where does this stand in the scheme of things with Brexit ?

HOLA446
1 minute ago, copydude said:

Too funny. People were joking about this at the time, breaking with precedent, and she's actually doing it. 

Good, but I bet the appalling behaviour was calling a woman stupid ?

HOLA447
3 hours ago, localhero1983 said:

Yep, that's all the UK needs along with the shock of a hard Brexit, the last thing this country needs right now is yet more support for the lazy self entitled fat and self inflicted unhealthy people while the low and average paid work 40 plus hour weeks for peanuts.

How anyone can look at the current gini coefficient, and decide poor people are the culprits of all our ills is beyond me.

HOLA448
17 minutes ago, kzb said:

This was simply about a temporary continuation of free trade with the EU until such time as a proper FTA is negotiated.  In particular, whether this temporary arrangement is allowed by the WTO.

We will be a third country, but we will have temporary, interim, free trade whilst the permanent FTA is being concluded.

If this is pre-arranged, there wouldn't be a "no-deal" exit and it would solve a lot of perceived problems. 

Which is precisely why it will be ignored.

Negotiating a comprehensive FTA with the EU could easily take 5 years, this was what the WA was for. 

NB The SM is not a free trade deal.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
3 minutes ago, tomandlu said:

How anyone can look at the current gini coefficient, and decide poor people are the culprits of all our ills is beyond me.

Try and look just a little deeper.

My intention would be for so many people not having good lives right night to have better ones. Labour would keep so many people in a state of victimhood, how many times have you seen a group of chain smoking fat ill looking people looking into the TV camera on their poverty stricken estates telling you proudly how they will always be proud to support Labour, it's heartbreaking, they just cannot see the obvious.

HOLA4411
17 minutes ago, copydude said:

I didn't see it that way, having just watched it on iPlayer. I thought his point was that there is nothing to offer Leavers at this time.

I'm usually rather BBC averse, but it's not a bad programme and the level of debate is stratospheres higher than the cheering, jeering and name calling we see in the House. You have to wonder about introducing entrance exams for candidate MPs.

On the contrary. It's the perfect can-kicker. Extend and pretend!  (I think on This Week, six months to a year was mooted.)

I think that was a separate point, but not having a defined deal to offer Leavers is hardly grounds for proceeding with Leave.

Couldn't argue against that, the sheer ignorance of some MP's about core issues is almost unbelievable. Perhaps the idea could be extended to referendum voters. Answer three simple questions correctly to receive your ballot paper?   

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
5 minutes ago, localhero1983 said:

Try and look just a little deeper.

<looks> What I see is nearly 4 decades of regulatory capture by the asset-rich leading to increased wealth-imbalances, whose disastrous effect on capitalism has been both masked and exacerbated by unrestricted lending to compensate for lack of actual spending power.

What do you see?

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

Just saw this on twitter - front page 2 years ago :D

DxLopDMXcAIULdw.jpg

Maybe TM should be notifying the Far East that there could be a sizable luxury car order coming their way, Wine producing countries to get ready for bigger orders and lets maybe find out how high tech China and India are really becoming, I like a bit of cheese as well with my wine, Europe is not the only place that is milk.

Lets start focusing some EU minds here

HOLA4415
11 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Negotiating a comprehensive FTA with the EU could easily take 5 years, this was what the WA was for. 

NB The SM is not a free trade deal.

But the WA is finished.

What is going to happen next is legislation which will automatically Revoke if No Deal is coming.

Reversing Brexit is now in sight.  All they have to do is vote down all alternatives and it will come about.

So this idea will gain no traction, even though it is at least a good starting point.

HOLA4416
4 minutes ago, tomandlu said:

<looks> What I see is nearly 4 decades of regulatory capture by the asset-rich leading to increased wealth-imbalances, whose disastrous effect on capitalism has been both masked and exacerbated by unrestricted lending to compensate for lack of actual spending power.

What do you see?

And how is turning to Labour ever sorted that problem, which you are right about I might add

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
26 minutes ago, copydude said:

Do you know what, I'm beginning to think May is motivated by exactly the same thing as Corbyn.

Hatred.

You see it when Jezza works himself up into a rant (such as when announcing the VoNC) & the sneering, lizard look in her eyes as she stares back.

And I'm beginning to think she might just go balls-out for Brexit because she's been insulted & patronised by the EU hierarchy too many times. CallmeDave just shrugged & patted the supercilious ar$eholes on the back, but our Theresa ...

Hell indeed hath no fury.

HOLA4419
7 minutes ago, localhero1983 said:

And how is turning to Labour ever sorted that problem, which you are right about I might add

Given that it's an untested hypothesis, I suppose you are technically correct...

We've had nothing but neoliberals in charge since 1980 - and yet you think more of the same is somehow the solution?

HOLA4420
6 minutes ago, kzb said:

But the WA is finished.

What is going to happen next is legislation which will automatically Revoke if No Deal is coming.

Reversing Brexit is now in sight.  All they have to do is vote down all alternatives and it will come about.

So this idea will gain no traction, even though it is at least a good starting point.

I still think May will get a deal through, it will probably have to be a bit softer to get some Labour MPs onside. Ruling out no deal will leave the ERG with the choice of voting for It or having no Brexit 

HOLA4421
8 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

There was a successful Dutch military invasion in 1688 which replaced the English royal family:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorious_Revolution

Sort-of. IIRC the 'invasion' was largely supported by our parliament. Better a Dutch protestant (married to the daughter of the monarch) than a British Catholic!

HOLA4422
3 minutes ago, tomandlu said:

Sort-of. IIRC the 'invasion' was largely supported by our parliament. Better a Dutch protestant (married to the daughter of the monarch) than a British Catholic!

It was an unconstitutional replacement of the head of state with a foreigner using a foreign army. Looks like a successful invasion to me.

HOLA4423
2 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

It was an unconstitutional replacement of the head of state with a foreigner using a foreign army. Looks like a successful invasion to me.

Did you read the wiki article you linked to? It is, as they say, a little bit more complicated than that (but I assume you know that?). So, yes, technically an invasion; in reality, a coup.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425