House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

9 minutes ago, thehowler said:

Chanel HQ coming to London...it's the language, the dominant culture (in tandem with US) en passant to a monolingual world.

The EU should be trying to hang onto London.

London is the most central location for our markets, uses the English language and has strong corporate governance standards with its regulatory and legal requirements".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45517279

R4 was making a big deal out of this on today: and to be fair - sounds quite a big deal tbh.

18 minutes ago, thehowler said:

First it was the sailing ship, then imperialism and slavery, now the SM - or is that ludicrous?

Probably. Presumably you intended it as  political rhetoric so maybe the question 'is is it effective?'.

The alternative explicitly on offer is to move back to a global war of national interests - possibly explaining the nostalgia for imperialism - rather than cooperation and interdependence. 

5 minutes ago, pig said:

The alternative explicitly on offer is to move back to a global war of national interests - possibly explaining the nostalgia for imperialism - rather than cooperation and interdependence. 

Interdependence as long as you're in the SM.

42 minutes ago, thehowler said:

First it was the sailing ship, then imperialism and slavery, now the SM - or is that ludicrous?

The big picture is it’s all an enabler for a USofE.

common currency, internal market, taxes, regulations, laws, courts, police, military, aviation, parliaments, flag, etc etc etc.

The question is - do you want to be California, or Canada? Part of the United States, or a sovereign nation trading on the border of the USofE...

Edited by GrizzlyDave

6 hours ago, HairyOb1 said:

State spent that much as their view was to remain.

I love this.  I genuinely do.  we've moved form they need us more than we need them.  They'll roll over.  We'll be much better off when we leave, to now simply saying oh well, it's only money.

Brexit will cost us all more money.  It will lose the country money.

Yep they moved from eu causes red-tape to we can live with red-tape due to Brexit

FOM and expansion of the EU into effectively third world countries is globalisation.

Maybe behind all this liberal lefty feed the world stuff is just a load of corporations wanting slave labour...... Hmmmm

1 hour ago, thehowler said:

It's not just standards though, is it? Agri-foods are restricted. But it's more moving forwards where I see problems, as outside competition gets more sophis...

Any attempts to restrict such things merely delay the inevitable. If it ultimately gets more for less in the short term it'll win out, you cannot hold back change and "progress" no matter how sensible and desirable it might be to do so.

49 minutes ago, thehowler said:

Thats a really odd way of looking at it.

We fought each other in Britain for centuries before England beat the crap out of everyone else and forced a much more extreme form of interdependence. Its just about worked but it would be strange to complain that the problem is it excludes everybody outside of Britain.

I guess long term it would be great if SM cooperation and interdependence stretched across continents - although tbf you could argue the road to it started some time ago.

1 minute ago, pig said:
57 minutes ago, thehowler said:

Thats a really odd way of looking at it. 

Not if you're bobbing around in the Med in an inflatable.

12 minutes ago, frederico said:

FOM and expansion of the EU into effectively third world countries is globalisation.

Maybe behind all this liberal lefty feed the world stuff is just a load of corporations wanting slave labour...... Hmmmm

Lol you mean a load of 'capitalism' ?. I love that in your head capitalism is a liberal lefty conspiracy.

1 minute ago, pig said:

Lol you mean a load of 'capitalism' ?. I love that in your head capitalism is a liberal lefty conspiracy.

If you remotely understood what I was implying you wouldn't have replied with that lol 

Still carry on with your mindless rants

3 minutes ago, thehowler said:

Not if you're bobbing around in the Med in an inflatable.

Its easily one of the most ludicrous arguments you hear Brexiters come out with.

I guess if you're bobbing around in the Med you can bob around secure in the knowledge  that Brexiters are fighting for your well-being.

1 minute ago, frederico said:

If you remotely understood what I was implying you wouldn't have replied with that lol 

Still carry on with your mindless rants

I'll try harder next time :)

Just now, frederico said:

You're not capable get over it

You might be right - I also look at some other posters in the same way.

Ok,  it's either a liberal lefty conspiracy or the liberal lefties do not realise they are being  encouraged or guided in a given direction because it suits those that gather the money.

Personally I never trust unelected beaurocrats to be independent, hell I don't trust any politicians at all to be independent. There is always an ulterior motive, you won't find out about it for years.

This is the problem for the young genuine liberal lefties, they are nowhere near cynical enough.

30 minutes ago, frederico said:

Ok,  it's either a liberal lefty conspiracy or the liberal lefties do not realise they are being  encouraged or guided in a given direction because it suits those that gather the money.

Personally I never trust unelected beaurocrats to be independent, hell I don't trust any politicians at all to be independent. There is always an ulterior motive, you won't find out about it for years.

This is the problem for the young genuine liberal lefties, they are nowhere near cynical enough.

Understandable, if not actually desirable in the young - whats the point of being young if you're cynical lol?. Also you have Brexit (and Trump) supporters making them feel like cynical geniuses.

3 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

R4 was making a big deal out of this on today: and to be fair - sounds quite a big deal tbh.

It's less than 50 people. JLR tens of thousands is a big deal.when they go

Bit of a shock for one or two of my LEAVE chums....

Wetherspoons warns of price rises as boss repeats call for no-deal Brexit

We will fight ourselves on the beaches, we will fight ourselves in the 'Spoons....but we will never, ever surrender.

Looks like Tim Martin is to stop selling Champagne and Jaegermeister because it's EU furriner muck.

9 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

It’s a global brand (channel) making a strong statement of confidence.

As for JRL, it is sad; but to be expected. This isn’t because of brexit, it is because of globalisation and cheaper labour in Solovenia/Slovakia/wherever they are going. Hopefully we will retain the design and engineering. Like Apple, and Dyson the manufacturing follows the cheap labour source. The only way for us to stay ahead is through leading the design engineering innovation, and research. JLR will move to EE, then in a few years the Indian sub continent, then maybe Africa. This is globalisation.

18 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

It’s a global brand (channel) making a strong statement of confidence.

As for JRL, it is sad; but to be expected. This isn’t because of brexit, it is because of globalisation and cheaper labour in Solovenia/Slovakia/wherever they are going. Hopefully we will retain the design and engineering. Like Apple, and Dyson the manufacturing follows the cheap labour source. The only way for us to stay ahead is through leading the design engineering innovation, and research. JLR will move to EE, then in a few years the Indian sub continent, then maybe Africa. This is globalisation.

I knew 'globalisation' (nobody had heard of it then) was inevitable when the Daily Mirror I'd put my car tools on had an article about starving Africans on one page & another about Unions demanding more money (a lot more) on the opposite page.

And many pages back I said that staying ahead of the game was our only realistic chance of survival. The only response I got was the usual dismissive contempt from jonb2 (I think - may have been someone else).

10 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

Panasonic moving HQ from London is 10 - 15 people. It made the Channel 4 news lead headlines (with no mention of the numbers, natch).

Chanel decision is significant IMHO as it will draw others and it's a French company.

The UK large-manufacturer car industry is under pressure from multiple threats, as alluded to above.

I've been saying this until I'm blue in the face for years now....

The money decides what corporations do, nothing else, 

Give them a business case they cannot ignore.

But all this country does is increase costs and make the transportation and energy supply more expensive.

Part of my solution would be import tariffs on countries that use cheap labour and don't live up to our hse and welfare state expectations.

Don't allow the export of intellectual property or expertise.

This country is slowly being wound down by ignorant politicians and greedy bankers.

That's retarded how could you stop people from sharing/selling knowledge in their head or by transmission of ideas via Internet? Lock them up for thoughtcrime?