House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

6 minutes ago, pig said:

Well see my next post above lol!

17m people normally doesn’t mean what Leavers claim it means but it does at least point to a certain ambivalence in the country towards the continent.

I have little doubt that would change over time (I mean look at Leavers salivating over continental RW nut jobs lol!) but right or wrong I think you have to take that as read for now.

Like the way Norwegians are becoming ever more enthusiastic about joining the EU...

... except they’re not!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway–European_Union_relations

7 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Let all the nations of our United Kingdom have the right to vote for independence and if it is their wish; and they are bold and strong enough of spirit and courage; then good luck to them. The key is whether union is by choice or not. If a country does not wish to be unitied with others; it should be permitted to leave.

I think the ‘problem’ is and always has been a kind of English ‘exceptionslism’, guilty of screwing up both UK and Empire.

I feel like I’ve spent my entire life explaining to people in other countries that that is not the full and final story, the English are way, way more interesting than that.

Unfortunately for me and my optimistic dream of Albion we went and voted for Brexit.

4 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

If you can't maintain majority support throughout the process, tough titties.  Democracy doesn't stop because we had a vote in 2016.

Agree, and Both Tories and Labour had brexit endorsed in the General Election (2017) with it being on the manifesto of each party. That’s 579 seats out of 650. That’s 89% of MPs elected on manifestos to leave the EU.

4 minutes ago, pig said:

I think the ‘problem’ is and always has been a kind of English ‘exceptionslism’, guilty of screwing up both UK and Empire.

I feel like I’ve spent my entire life explaining to people in other countries that that is not the full and final story, the English are way, way more interesting than that.

Unfortunately for me and my optimistic dream of Albion we went and voted for Brexit.

Sorry I don’t really understand your post.

2 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Agree, and Both Tories and Labour had brexit endorsed in the General Election (2017) with it being on the manifesto of each party. That’s 579 seats out of 650. That’s 89% of MPs elected on manifestos to leave the EU.

That’s 2017.  The times they are a changing.

10 minutes ago, pig said:

Come on GD grow an effing backbone !

Its humiliating enough to think we can’t cope with the EU let alone trying to creep about in Norways shadow.

Just pointing out that Norway has become less keen on joining. That’s a useful barometer.

I’m hard brexit now; no half in appeasement. I’ve tried two years of reconciliation. I’m done.

4 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Just pointing out that Norway has become less keen on joining. That’s a useful barometer.

I’m hard brexit now; no half in appeasement. I’ve tried two years of reconciliation. I’m done.

I know what you mean; ultra remainers & ultra brexiters are two sides of the same coin. No middle ground will be given..

Edited by Dave Beans

18 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

I know what you mean; ultra remainers & ultra brexiters are two sides of the same coin. No middle ground will be given..

Are you still backing the Norway option?

1 minute ago, thecrashingisles said:

Are you still backing the Norway option?

For now...Means to an end...We aren't going to get it though..so it doesn't matter.

Edited by Dave Beans

6 hours ago, dugsbody said:

The city has already started moving functions into new EU based legal entities. These sort of projects take a lot of man power to implement and no bank wants to be caught with their pants down, hence they're being done now, rather than waiting for the outcome. They're considered sunk costs. But in terms of actual relocation they don't require much, just yet. It'll be a trickle rather than a river and will also depend on what view the EU takes on these new legal entities in time.

The EU will take a hard line on this, they have already made it clear they will not accept Brass Nameplate operations. At a minimum they will want the EU operations to include operational decision taking and risk management/governance/IT functions. Naturally support functions will follow.  The other important area is these operations will need their own regulatory capital. 

58 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Grasping at straws. Bit of a shame really as Id hoped intelligent Leavers realised we have sweet FA in common with Norway some time ago.

‘Hard’ doesn’t fit somehow to  doffing caps to fEUdal resistance ;)  that sounds a lot like Trump/Bannon appeasement to me !

2 minutes ago, pig said:

Grasping at straws. Bit of a shame really as Id hoped intelligent Leavers realised we have sweet FA in common with Norway some time ago.

‘Hard’ doesn’t fit somehow to  doffing caps to fEUdal resistance ;)  that sounds a lot like Trump/Bannon appeasement to me !

The first line especially outlines why we're going to get a hard Brexit... Actually, its quite a clever approach from the ultra remainers, as its sure fire way of falling back into the arms of the EU.

6 hours ago, pig said:

We will have more in common with Norway (and Iceland) soon enough. All of us reject EU membership.

We will be like Canada to USA not Mexico to the USA.

So here is the question Pig;

if I’m right (based on 40 years of ever closer union, and the aspirations of some big names in the EU), the choice is either guaranteed federal region of USofE if we remain, or leave and maintain/increase our sovereignty - which option do you choose?

Edited by GrizzlyDave

8 hours ago, WageWar said:

. Doesn't like paying his taxes.

Whose taxes?...... sounds like someone owns them......who owns his earnings.

Please....don't get the idea I'm trying to justify his absurdly high earnings here..... like Besos earns the average Amazons wage every 19 seconds ..... fecking mad! ........but...... does he own his earnings?

11 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

That’s 2017.  The times they are a changing.

So the LibDems will win next time then?

https://bbc.co.uk/news/business-45136390

Here you go, this is a classic blatant example of why so many people are attacking institutions, Government and  the whole establishment, this is why you are getting Brexit. People are slowly coming around to the fact they are not living in a democracy like they think they, it's an illusion. Yet again the CBI are just openly suggesting(because it is in their DNA now) that the government  say f*** the electorate this is what we want you to do.

12 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

Many remainers voted for practical reasons, rather than declaring any love for the EU..

I think that's true.

The EU authority is not the central thing for me. Arguments about its faults are not enough reason to leave it either.

I voted remain because:

1) I knew it would hit us badly economically, so it would simply make things much worse with no upside. Or public services, already weak with the austerity delusion  - will implode.

2) The right wing press supports Brexit - vested interests

3) I like the idea of human cooperation across Europe. My business does (did) this

4) I don't want us to get more into bed with the USA, whose governing values are only for the rich and feck everybody else

5) I wanted tax reforms with teeth, not more spiders web stuff, not more zero-hour contracts

6) Cameron is bad, but those MPs on the side of Brexit are far worse - the dregs. Either stupid, conniving or self-obsessed

Here we are now. Hate a bigger feature of daily living. The disaster capitalists licking their lips like a pack of jackals. No other business or attendance to anything than Brexit and who hates who more between the political parties. The media, timid and not doing it's job unless owned by the right wing usual suspects, who sell click-hate headlines.

Just now, inbruges said:

https://bbc.co.uk/news/business-45136390

Here you go, this is a classic blatant example of why so many people are attacking institutions, Government and  the whole establishment, this is why you are getting Brexit. People are slowly coming around to the fact they are not living in a democracy like they think they, it's an illusion. Yet again the CBI are just openly suggesting(because it is in their DNA now) that the government  say f*** the electorate this is what we want you to do.

Good for the economy innit?

Thou shalt not question whether good for economy is good for people.

12 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

I respect your honesty. For me, I am the polar opposite on this.

I thought you supported Scottish independence GD?

1 minute ago, Riedquat said:

Good for the economy innit?

Thou shalt not question whether good for economy is good for people.

Someone like the CBI will openly suggest that the UK should allow in 10,000's of Romanian workers because they will live on slave ages and 10 to a bedroom in the picking season, and will not burden the boss with "their rights", unlike those British trouble makers. I have plenty of issues with some British attitudes sometimes, but not on this, why should they put up with it.

Now welfare, that's where my sympathies start getting a little right wing.

12 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

That's because there was never any real middle ground Dave. It was/is a pipe-dream. I think people now realise, nakedly, it's truly black and white.

It's almost as though circumstance natural selection applies.

12 hours ago, pig said:

I agree pig.

We had a lot of great things happening in tandem with having an empire - invention, good politics, the arts. People do conflate the two. But there could be a question that a confident nation produces extraordinary things?