House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
7 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

Having listened to it, how do you think the UK government should approach the protocol?

The UK gov are in a pickle. The DUP won't be happy until the NIP creates zero trade friction, ie until it's ditched. The nationalists want to abide by the NIP and I sense that the pragmatic say the NIP has given them the best of both worlds. NI is outperforming GB. The border poll issue is being ignored/blanked by thre DUP. The nationalist sense that the tide is very much changing and there is a greater apetite for it...accelerated by Brexit.

So the UK can either adhere to the NIP with the real risk of Ireland reunification, negotiate proper with the EU and seek some concessions to appease the DUP (high probability it won't tho) or ditch the NIP and retain NI and provoke a trade war...with more troubles in NI to follow I assume.

It reality begs the question, was the GFA even possible without us all being in the SM/CU. 

None of this is news, we have known about this since day dot. It's just inconvenient and has been kicked into the long grass.  

Edited by IMHAL

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
1 hour ago, slawek said:

Another BJ's pipedream. 

I mean, that just looks like something Putin has straight up slipped him on a piece of paper, doesn't it?

What an insane idea. Very clear to even my old eyes that would just become a Putin puppet bloc very quickly.

HOLA447
HOLA448
16 minutes ago, byron78 said:

I mean, that just looks like something Putin has straight up slipped him on a piece of paper, doesn't it?

What an insane idea. Very clear to even my old eyes that would just become a Putin puppet bloc very quickly.

You should get your eyes tested.

Why do you think a collection of Russia's foes that excludes their appeasers would be a more likely to be a Putin puppet bloc than a Franco-German one would?

Edited by thecrashingisles

HOLA449
22 minutes ago, byron78 said:

That's the source of this news. Strangely this hasn't been picked up by any UK newspapers yet. It could be just a rumour spread by Russians or even Ukraine.  Even if it is true there is zero chances for this to become reality. 

https://www-corriere-it.translate.goog/economia/finanza/22_maggio_26/piano-segreto-boris-johnson-dividere-l-ucraina-russia-ue-commonwealth-europeo-02d3b232-dc6b-11ec-b480-f783b433fe60.shtml?_x_tr_sl=it&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

HOLA4410
5 hours ago, slawek said:

Yeah another industry thrown under the Brexit bus.

You remainacs remind me of those types who only think football began with the Premiership. We threw masses and masses of industry and 100's of 1000's of jobs under the EU bus pre Brexit, but remainacs didn't give a toss about all that back then. 

HOLA4411
6 minutes ago, Cocha said:

You remainacs remind me of those types who only think football began with the Premiership. We threw masses and masses of industry and 100's of 1000's of jobs under the EU bus pre Brexit, but remainacs didn't give a toss about all that back then. 

Yes, all that name calling and completely ignoring any of the issues with Brexit is making it all work out really well, isn't it?

HOLA4412
10 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Yes, all that name calling and completely ignoring any of the issues with Brexit is making it all work out really well, isn't it?

My longer term context gives me a much different perspective to many on here which is probably why I'm much happier than many with how Brexit is progressing.

HOLA4413
1 hour ago, thecrashingisles said:

Do you think a trade war would be a reasonable response from the EU?

I think the UK should do what it agreed to and what the electorate voted for and implement the NIP. It should accept that the consequence of Brexit may lead to the re-unification of Ireland. 

Brexiteers knew what they voted for, so let them have it.

HOLA4414
8 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

I think the UK should do what it agreed to and what the electorate voted for and implement the NIP. It should accept that the consequence of Brexit may lead to the re-unification of Ireland. 

Brexiteers knew what they voted for, so let them have it.

So having listened to the "anger and emotions rife on both sides", your ultimate response is to tell one side to get stuffed?

HOLA4415
28 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

So having listened to the "anger and emotions rife on both sides", your ultimate response is to tell one side to get stuffed?

I am advocating that we do what the government said it would do and won them the election. Brexiteers call it democracy even when the mandate is not achievable, not intendto be adhered to or are just blatant lies.

Now if you want to argue that Brexit has caused these issues and Brexiteers did not infact know what they were voting for so we should have a second ref then I agree.

If you want to argue that the conservative government won an election mainly based on a mandate that it did not intent to stick to (the NIP) then we should throw them out and reconsider the whole issue of Brexit as the sole cause of these issues.

In democracy one side gets what it wants and the other is sometimes appeased. If that is not possible then democracy says no. Brexit got us into this mess, now is's up to the Brexit government to get us out. 

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, Cocha said:

Some more Leavers' myths? Any evidence. 

Are you claiming that the UK was doing worse than now when it was an EU member?

HOLA4417
37 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Yes that is actually quite reasonable, since the "anger and emotion" is coming almost entirely from the DUP, that is the same party that used dodgy funding to pay for pro-Brexit adverts in English newspapers, held the balance of power in Westminster and forced through the hardest of Brexits (including a deliberate international humiliation of the Prime Minister). Their behaviour is utterly unreasonable by any sensible rational legal or democratic perspective. They even ran a court case to get their position stated in law, and the court ruled they were wrong.

So give that the option is to A) tell these chancers to get stuffed, or b) go against a negotiated agreed and voted-on international agreement and also go against the advise of all international allies, I think telling the chancers to get stuffed would be my preferred response. What would yours be?

HOLA4418
40 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Both sides are stuffed. The difference is only one side wanted it.  The situation was forced on both sides by an external force against the wishes of a majority. Would you agree that it would be fair for the majority who didn't want it to decide how it should be implemented?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
2 hours ago, Cocha said:

It's a pretty big loss.

Prior to Brexit Tesla/Musk had said several times that the UK was its preferred location for the European giga factory, battery factory, R&D centre and HQ.

Within 3yrs this single factory will be producing more cars than the entire UK industry (producing well over 1m high value cars per year) and would have given the UK industry the scale it needed to retain a full automotive supply chain.  

Instead it went to Germany, surely, and by far, the biggest Brexit dividend anyone has received.    

HOLA4421
50 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

I am advocating that we do what the government said it would do and won them the election. Brexiteers call it democracy even when the mandate is not achievable, not intendto be adhered to or are just blatant lies.

Now if you want to argue that Brexit has caused these issues and Brexiteers did not infact know what they were voting for so we should have a second ref then I agree.

If you want to argue that the conservative government won an election mainly based on a mandate that it did not intent to stick to (the NIP) then we should throw them out and reconsider the whole issue of Brexit as the sole cause of these issues.

In democracy one side gets what it wants and the other is sometimes appeased. If that is not possible then democracy says no. Brexit got us into this mess, now is's up to the Brexit government to get us out. 

You’re like a mirror image of Ian Paisley. “Compromise? Never! Never! Never!”

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
1 hour ago, slawek said:

Some more Leavers' myths? Any evidence. 

Are you claiming that the UK was doing worse than now when it was an EU member?

If you are unaware of how much of our manufacturing industry was offshored and outsourced to eastern European countries through the 90's and 00's, you prove my point that for some, they only started pretending to give a toss post June 2016. Some of this was even done with the support of the EU, via grants and loans. Well, as we were net contributors to the EU budget, what I should say is the EU used British taxpayers money to help facilitate British taxpayers jobs being outsourced to other EU countries. In my own personal opinion, this wasn't particularly beneficial to British workers or a benefit of EU membership.

HOLA4424
1 hour ago, Social Justice League said:

Brexit was always an unworkable feckup voted for by down on their luck northerners.

It's hard not to laugh at the "It's all foreigners!" lot, isn't it?

Their lives must have got infinitely worse under this government (who are now letting record numbers of immigrants in), yet now a lot seem to be blindly trying to convince themselves they haven't been conned by a government that would happily see most of them dead.

Utterly bizarre.

HOLA4425
3 hours ago, Cocha said:

How could we give a toss about something that only exists in your distorted reality?