House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
14 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

The biggest number of fruit pickers came from Ukraine, so you appear to be saying that Ukraine = Russia.

Umm,, Uncle Putin thinks the Ukraine is part of Russia. And it's a sacrifice he's willing to make to get it.

Civilians 3,387 killed (312 foreign) 6 April 2014 – 31 April 2021
UAF, NGU and volunteer forces 4,564 killed 6 April 2014 – 16 June 2021
DPR and LPR forces 5,710 killed 6 April 2014 – 16 April 2021
Russian Armed Forces 400–500 killed 6 April 2014 – 10 March 2015

HOLA443
14 hours ago, Staffsknot said:

I think that might actually be trapped wind not pain.

Pain is your body responding to negative stimuli to prevent you hurting yourself.

Pushing through pain to a clear objective is logical and an achievement. Experiencing pain for no tangible benefit is dense.

Same as doing something the hard way for hardways sake is daft.

The above is not an attack its just a statement of fact. People who set out to do things just the difficult way just because raise chances of failure and generally stuff up other people.  They are David Brents. Encountered dozens of them in my time and its better to work smart, pick a realistic goal and crack it.

Out of interest did you take advantage of any of the support mechanisms offered through NHS or things like patches / gum / low nicotine cigarettes / e-cig? 

Again not lining you up for a dig if you did.

I don't know, I quite like the Courage Wolf meme. Feels more poetic.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/courage-wolf

Pain is Temporary, Failure is Forever!

I used Pfizer's Champix to quit and it is awesome. They were available on the NHS for prescription prices, or about £150-£200 for the full course online. I've used both as I have quit twice (first time was properly, rather than 'properly', and lasted 4 years)

Edited by Huggy

HOLA444
1 hour ago, sPinwheel said:

Why on earth would an HGV driver in the EU want to come work here? It would require one hell of a financial incentive. 

Especially when wages in EU are rising faster than UK and currency is more stable and inflation lower

I laugh every time recruiters from UK reach out on LinkedIn to me, why would anyone want to work in a country hostile to immigrants (for that matter it’s own people too) for lower salary and higher costs?

HOLA445

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/energy-crisis-cbi-cobr-supply-chain-hgv-driver-fuel-costs-co2-b957176.html
B

ritain’s top business group has called on the government to set up an emergency task force at the heart of government to tackle the cluster of ongoing crises that are threatening to derail the UK’s economic recovery.

HOLA446

https://inews.co.uk/news/hgv-shortage-eu-drivers-snub-boris-johnsons-uk-petrol-crisis-brexit-visa-offer-1217320

HGV shortage: EU drivers set to snub Boris Johnson’s appeal to solve UK petrol crisis with Brexit visa offer

EXCLUSIVE

Marco Digioia, general secretary of the European Road Haulers Association, said: “I expect many drivers will not return to the UK even if the UK Government allows them to.”

HOLA447
25 minutes ago, Huggy said:

I don't know, I quite like the Courage Wolf meme. Feels more poetic.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/courage-wolf

Pain is Temporary, Failure is Forever!

I used Pfizer's Champix to quit and it is awesome. They were available on the NHS for prescription prices, or about £150-£200 for the full course online. I've used both as I have quit twice (first time was properly, rather than 'properly', and lasted 4 years)

Cheers

I have never smoked just trying to see what direction you took.

Pain is a failure of preparation in the army. Sandhurst lecture - Suffering is stupidity not a route to Sainthood. 

The Ant Middleton / Andy McNab set out to push through pain and suffering that is lapped up by folks is so much viewed as ****** it is unreal. Its not heroics its failure of prep and training. Unexpected pain happens, that has to be dealt with and the best way is to have steps and what-ifs and mitigations.

These same numpties writing and lecturing about pain spend hrs in the gym and drills and forming action plans / pt 1 orders / support plans so they don't just hang their tadger into the wind and hope.

Doing painful things for the hell of it unplanned and pushing through is for book writers.

Your smoking was planned, you took advantage of what was available and had clear objective. That was actually a smarter one than the ego boys would throw at you.

HOLA448

EVCL Chill: 400 jobs at risk as food firm goes bust

More than 400 jobs are at risk as a firm which delivers chilled food to major supermarkets across the UK called in administrators. 

EVCL Chill Ltd, which has headquarters in Alfreton, Derbyshire, delivers food to retailers including Asda and Sainsbury's.

Administrators PwC said acute driver shortages had added to its challenges. 

The firm said 650 employees had been transferred "to key customers" but the remaining staff's future was "unclear".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-58689962

so much Brexit pounding without lube 

HOLA449
39 minutes ago, yelims said:

More than 400 jobs are at risk as a firm which delivers chilled food to major supermarkets across the UK called in administrators. 

EVCL Chill Ltd, which has headquarters in Alfreton, Derbyshire, delivers food to retailers including Asda and Sainsbury's.

The firm said 650 employees had been transferred "to key customers" but the remaining staff's future was "unclear".

Let them eat sovereignty. 

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
56 minutes ago, yelims said:

As predicted lack/rising cost of drivers will cause some businesses to go down. 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
1 hour ago, slawek said:

As predicted lack/rising cost of drivers will cause some businesses to go down. 

For the sake of Brexsht we somehow have to turn it into a positive. No doubt it was a sht business, slave labour. All the former workers can now go train as HGV drivers. Done. The great Brexit bonus.

HOLA4415

Wow. The Mail has held back on the front pages (so far), but inside they've let rip. Quite the contrast to where they were.

I think this might unravel to the point we find out where Aaron Banks money actually comes from now, you know.

Won't be long until you proles demand scapegoats. We'll try the usual ones - the EU/migrants in dinghies/the poor/unemployed. If enough of you actually wake up (sorry... I know the anti-woke won't like that), then the elites and the shadow money that pushed all this might finally be exposed...

242941780_10160605365745752_3623881908456641366_n.jpg

Edited by byron78

HOLA4416
24 minutes ago, miguel said:

For the sake of Brexsht we somehow have to turn it into a positive. No doubt it was a sht business, slave labour. All the former workers can now go train as HGV drivers. Done. The great Brexit bonus.

Britain.

"A nation of lorry drivers" ?

HOLA4417
18 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Wow. The Mail has held back on the front pages (so far), but inside they've let rip. Quite the contrast to where they were.

I think this might unravel to the point we find out where Aaron Banks money actually comes from now, you know.

Won't be long until you proles demand scapegoats. We'll try the usual ones - the EU/migrants in dinghies/the poor/unemployed. If enough of you actually wake up (sorry... I know the anti-woke won't like that), then the elites and the shadow money that as pushed all this might finally be exposed.

The thing is, this tangible kind of scenario does tend to cut through more than the more abstract debate. For example while of course the individual and total  'reality' may be horrific its difficult to know if 150K should have died from Covid or 70K.

But if you can't drive your car or shop then suddenly things get real, and scrutiny of the spin can get savage including from people who don't follow politics closely. I think thats when these tabloids think its smarter to step out of the way whatever their political bent.

Edited by pig

HOLA4418
20 minutes ago, pig said:

The thing is, this tangible kind of scenario does tend to cut through more than the more abstract debate. For example while of course the individual and total  'reality' may be horrific its difficult to know if 150K should have died from Covid or 70K.

But if you can't drive your car or shop then suddenly things get real, and scrutiny of the spin can get savage including from people who don't follow politics closely. I think thats when these tabloids think its smarter to step out of the way whatever their political bent.

Yes, I think you're right.

I haven't seen the UK this broken since the 70s. Friend of mine in his 80s narrowly avoided a fist fight in a petrol station this morning. Up until now, he was almost entirely insulated to the realities. Fuel and food though... never ends well (politically).

Today he has woken up to the UK feeling like a Mad Max film and not the old sleepy game of cricket he was rather expecting RE: Brexit...

Edited by byron78

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
17 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Yes, I think you're right.

I haven't seen the UK this broken since the 70s. Friend of mine in his 80s narrowly avoided a fist fight in a petrol station this morning. Up until now, he was almost entirely insulated to the realities. Fuel and food though... never ends well (politically).

Today he has woken up to the UK feeling like a Mad Max film and not the old sleepy game of cricket he was rather expecting RE: Brexit...

Our membership of the single market papered over the cracks, over issues that have existed for a number of years.  We have relied on cheap imported labour to keep the JIT supply chain going..as have many sectors of our economy.

Things will get worse before they get better, seeing as we haven't "properly" left, as checks on stuff coming in have been suspended until July next near - whether that will be suspended again...possibly.  The ERG & co thinks that Brexit has been a minor event, and that when COVID abates, we are home free..  

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, byron78 said:

Won't be long until you proles demand scapegoats. We'll try the usual ones - the EU/migrants in dinghies/the poor/unemployed. If enough of you actually wake up (sorry... I know the anti-woke won't like that), then the elites and the shadow money that pushed all this might finally be exposed...

Isn't the Mail trying to blame an ex-BBC employee for the disaster though saying its his leaks as he's in hauliage + a Remainer. Just mindboggling

HOLA4423
8 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Our membership of the single market papered over the cracks, over issues that have existed for a number of years.  We have relied on cheap imported labour to keep the JIT supply chain going..as have many sectors of our economy.

So DB, what is the solution to 'cheap imported labour. Spell it out. Could it be to train an excess of domestic labour to cope with the flexibility that is needed? What effect do you think this will have on wages in a steady state case?

8 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Things will get worse before they get better, seeing as we haven't "properly" left, as checks on stuff coming in have been suspended until July next near - whether that will be suspended again...possibly.  The ERG & co thinks that Brexit has been a minor event, and that when COVID abates, we are home free..  

My cupboard overfloweth with jars of Jam Tomorrow and since when did you consider what 'the ERG thinks' as grounded in reality? 

But you might be right about when the checks cone in. There may not be that many goods to move around Britain...hey presto...no haulage problem.

Edited by IMHAL

HOLA4424
25 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

The ERG have morphed into the Covid Freedom Day wonks and found a new thing to shout about.

In a nutshell wages are jumping due to scarcity. As soon as a driver threshold is reached that employers have enough or close to enough the wages will lower, either for new entrants or as a whole. That is simple labour flow, it'll just be domestic ones 'undercutting' established workers.

Edited by Staffsknot

HOLA4425

It's amazing how the world has changed. It used to be Tories (the right wingers) who despised wage increases, especially for the lower paid. Now they've reached lefty communist utopia, just increae wages by a significant amount and all is well in the world. Whatever next, Tories will be accepting climate change and windmills. . . maybe even tree huggers. 

Edited by miguel