House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
3 minutes ago, byron78 said:

The local hunt got it round here.

Didn't even have to close!

I'm sure there were some very worthy causes that needed it, but it also seems that the govt was also chucking money round like smarties.  They then ask the poorest and youngest in society to pay for the bill, in the form of NI rises (and this is just the beginning), whilst those with second homes were actually given money... 

HOLA442

So much for food self sufficiency, and British holiday habits are changing too. Foreign holidays is not going to be for everyone.

Farms are turning themselves into camping sites because of Brexit

A DROITWICH firm says they have spotted a gap in the market as farms looking to diversify after Brexit are becoming campsites for staycationers.

Mrs Walton said: “With the loss of EU subsidies, farmers now have to think how to run a profitable business.

"Pop up campsites are a quick and cheap form of diversification a farmer can try and there is certainly demand with many of our campervan customers reporting that campsites were selling out during peak season.

More people than ever are enjoying the benefits of holidaying at home.

worcesternews

HOLA443
6 hours ago, rollover said:

So much for food self sufficiency, and British holiday habits are changing too. Foreign holidays is not going to be for everyone.

A DROITWICH firm says they have spotted a gap in the market as farms looking to diversify after Brexit are becoming campsites for staycationers.

Mrs Walton said: “With the loss of EU subsidies, farmers now have to think how to run a profitable business.

"Pop up campsites are a quick and cheap form of diversification a farmer can try and there is certainly demand with many of our campervan customers reporting that campsites were selling out during peak season.

worcesternews

Let me think. The sunny med or some farmers field getting p1ssed on every day? ........really hard choice that one.

When people have no choice they choose what's available.....mainly due to Covid I'd say.

HOLA444
1 hour ago, IMHAL said:

Let me think. The sunny med or some farmers field getting p1ssed on every day? ........really hard choice that one.

When people have no choice they choose what's available.....mainly due to Covid I'd say.

Covid haven't been an issue in the EU during Summer holiday season, but it was different in the UK.

HOLA445
13 hours ago, onlooker said:

I did not mean to offend, just a shorthand I occasionally use. I am a big supporter of British farming, and support Cornish farmers when I can (I buy Cathedral city cheese frequently. I understand it is produced in North Cornwall, but unfortunately is now matured in the Midlands). But farming is not a big employer like it was a hundred years ago, and Cornish farms tend to be very small I believe. I also believe the Govt should be making more of British meat and dairy, and actively squashing the fad of vegetarianism and veganism, because they are potentially unhealthy lifestyles, with a negative effect on the British economy.

Tourism is probably a higher paying sector of the economy than farming, though the season is currently short. It could be longer with better transport links. I am not so quick to condemn the second home market, if only it could lead to more properties being let to tourists for more of the year.

No offence taken, and I'm sure none intended.

All the best SLJ

HOLA446
16 hours ago, byron78 said:

It's an utter disgrace. 

Can't find the ref atm, but Treliske hospital has been forced to allow patients for A+E to wait outside in the rain, sometimes for several hours because there is no room inside.

Boris promised that Cornwall would have the EU replaced by UK GVMT.

HOLA447
13 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/thousands-second-homes-changed-holiday-5878374

A month or two ago, I read an article that stated that there were 10,000 airbnb's available in Cornwall, but only 50 properties to rent...

And the council are housing people in ancient caravans that I wouldn't use as a chicken coop, on sites that have almost zero facilities.

HOLA448
12 hours ago, steve99 said:

As we are finding out, all over the place, those suffering the most from Brexit generally voted for it. Also the Cornish reinforced their stupidity https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/how-cornwall-vote-general-election-3640472

Unfortunately you are correct.  Leave and the Tories promised much and delivered zilch.

Full disclosure:  I was a remainer, and benefittted professionally and personally from the single market.

I am very disappointed with the vote, and realise the consequences of policies that divided the nation and marginalise 48%.

But the UK has left the EU and the entire UK population has to face the consequences of the decision and subsequent sub-optimal agreements.

HOLA449
11 hours ago, pig said:

They should use that £3m to try to join Johnsons chumocracy.

Lol 😂 

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has previously stated that Cornwall would not miss out on any funding that it would have received if the UK had remained in the EU.

HOLA4410
52 minutes ago, rollover said:

Covid haven't been an issue in the EU during Summer holiday season, but it was different in the UK.

I don't know what it was like in the EU...but travel advice was a mess here. You'd need your head examining to take the risk of booking a holiday anywhere......and that's how they would like to keep it. Hence why the article is trying to uncouple covid with the rise of stacationing and couple Brexit to it.....covid will go but brexit won't. The article read more like an infomercial.

HOLA4411
19 minutes ago, skinnylattej said:

And the council are housing people in ancient caravans that I wouldn't use as a chicken coop, on sites that have almost zero facilities.

Yes, there were "tent cities" on the Isle of Wight this summer. No, not the festival... just young (working) locals living along the river. 

HOLA4412
16 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

I don't know what it was like in the EU...but travel advice was a mess here. You'd need your head examining to take the risk of booking a holiday anywhere......and that's how they would like to keep it. Hence why the article is trying to uncouple covid with the rise of stacationing and couple Brexit to it.....covid will go but brexit won't. The article read more like an infomercial.

Planes and hotels were full, masks worn, Eu Covid certificates and local locator form required in Greece few weeks ago

Beside having to show a Covid cert on arrival to health official after going through automated Eu passport gate it was almost normal 

Interestingly enough a flight from uk at same time were put in separate queue, passports examined closely at the shengen border AND antigen test

Overall it was the most pleasant holiday in med as no loud drunk jersey wearing gammons arguing with locals 

As I mentioned earlier switched to holiday in Greece (from Dublin) after having to cancel original holiday (via London) to Mexico as Boris put it on red list a week before, I wasn’t going to pay thousands for privilege of quarantine 

overall the EU response which reopened travel compared to UKs ever changing approach is great for people and companies who had a semi normal tourist season at least

Edited by yelims

HOLA4413
On 10/09/2021 at 22:46, Dave Beans said:

I've got to the point, that I don't know whether I care any more.  This whole economy is a fake, a fraud.  House prices being pushed up by 10/20% a year...Its just not sustainable.. I know someone who's just taken on a 40 year mortgage...  There are no words...

It's not just the UK. The entire world is feeling the consequences of assets bought using credit when credit costs nearly zero. Increasing the mortgage terms is just another way to pretend that prices are as affordable today as they were 30 years ago. If the monthly payments stay similar, people can bury their heads and pretend they're not going to be working 10-15 years longer than the previous generation just to pay off their giant mortgages.

We're in an "everything bubble" but the problem is, unless you play you're guaranteed to lose. Whereas if you play, you at least have a chance of winning.

I am paying the bare minimum of my mortgage repayments each month until I get to an equity value that will allow me to move to interest only. From that point on I'll move to an interest only product and every spare bit of money will go into the bubble equities markets.

HOLA4414
On 09/09/2021 at 21:07, thecrashingisles said:

I just posted a translation of the tweet from the event where he was speaking.

Your motivation wasn't fairness, it was motivated.

This same topic has come up before, EU member nations complaining about external immigration. Each time we have a brexiter jumping on it and framing it as anti-FOM / anti-EU. And each time the remain supporters here have to correct their misinformation.

This was your intent, but you've given yourself plausible deniability. You're a true politician.

HOLA4415
15 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

You previously claimed to have been self-employed since 1995 so in what sense have you lost your job?

I'm no longer self employed. There was no point continuing, with the 20% imposition of VAT when exporting to the EU.  

I was self employed from '95. The last self employment (different business) was from 2007, so I had survived nearly 14 years. 

It had given me a living. Not great but a reasonable living in an area that has high unemployment and an area that is considered blighted. 

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
3 hours ago, yelims said:

Planes and hotels were full, masks worn, Eu Covid certificates and local locator form required in Greece few weeks ago

Beside having to show a Covid cert on arrival to health official after going through automated Eu passport gate it was almost normal 

Interestingly enough a flight from uk at same time were put in separate queue, passports examined closely at the shengen border AND antigen test

Overall it was the most pleasant holiday in med as no loud drunk jersey wearing gammons arguing with locals 

As I mentioned earlier switched to holiday in Greece (from Dublin) after having to cancel original holiday (via London) to Mexico as Boris put it on red list a week before, I wasn’t going to pay thousands for privilege of quarantine 

overall the EU response which reopened travel compared to UKs ever changing approach is great for people and companies who had a semi normal tourist season at least

Envious to hear that. Here we had to make do with a tent in a farmers field, getting p1ssed on with rain, paying over the odds for all that and for the privilege of eating crap food.

Give me Greece anytime.

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, miguel said:

I'm no longer self employed. There was no point continuing, with the 20% imposition of VAT when exporting to the EU.  

I was self employed from '95. The last self employment (different business) was from 2007, so I had survived nearly 14 years. 

It had given me a living. Not great but a reasonable living in an area that has high unemployment and an area that is considered blighted. 

Sorry to hear about the job situation and hope things improve

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
6 hours ago, dugsbody said:

It's not just the UK. The entire world is feeling the consequences of assets bought using credit when credit costs nearly zero. Increasing the mortgage terms is just another way to pretend that prices are as affordable today as they were 30 years ago. If the monthly payments stay similar, people can bury their heads and pretend they're not going to be working 10-15 years longer than the previous generation just to pay off their giant mortgages.

We're in an "everything bubble" but the problem is, unless you play you're guaranteed to lose. Whereas if you play, you at least have a chance of winning.

I am paying the bare minimum of my mortgage repayments each month until I get to an equity value that will allow me to move to interest only. From that point on I'll move to an interest only product and every spare bit of money will go into the bubble equities markets.

Unless the bubble goes bang, and there aren't enough chairs left.  I'm not surprised people "opt out", and rely on state benefits.  When inflation kicks in, it hopefully make things a bit more interesting..

HOLA4423
20 hours ago, rollover said:

worcesternews

I must re watch “Carry on camping “ again.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425