House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
3 hours ago, kzb said:

I agree you are not debating, that much is clear.  Just more sneering at the lower orders.  That's how you lost the referendum.

FGS now playing the 'sneering' victim lol. But actually .... yes! How else is anybody supposed to react to your carry on ? 

Anybody can trot off and swot up on Britains post Empire headaches. Well apparently anybody except for you.

Nobody but the most myopic Brexiteer would insist these headaches started by 'coincidence' or otherwise when we joined the EEC.  

Cos Boomer houses were cheap. Cos the swinging sixties. Cos the winter of discontent. Cos basically I don't want trading in the EEC to be seen to have helped Britain.

So because you're mysteriously refusing to simply read up yourself, I guess others are supposed to do it for you and bring back the links for you right ? 

At which point, quite predictably you are most certainly not going to debate British 'declinism' in good faith because being a Brexiteer it must not have happened before the EEC. It just must not happened before the EEC. No really it must not have happened before the EEC....

So yes the history is interesting, but your weird myopia, is just as interesting, and here it is neatly exposed over what is a relatively simple point. 

I mean do you actually believe what you are posting ?  Do you care ? Is it a question of as you say 'grandstanding in front of your mates' ? Or is Brexit actually like a bad Religion or cult ? What ?

HOLA442

Boris Johnson hosts Viktor Orban to discuss 'a post-Brexit period'

The visit has not been without controversy, with opposition parties suggesting the British prime minister should not be entertaining someone like Orban, whom they view as anti-democratic.

In the past, Orban has praised Johnson over Brexit. 

DW

HOLA443
1 hour ago, winkie said:

We will be saying the same about leaving the EU.....food prices have shot up since leaving.

How about we start growing more food to eat ourselves and not so much food to feed animals?......can't blame Europe for high prices then.......take back control.;)

Its the politics as much as the economics that worry me.

I actually looked forward to a good debate on leaving the EU and was fairly open to voting for Brexit. But the whole thing stank pretty quickly - It seemed clear most Brexiters did not have a coherent plan or vision for Britain other than what you might get from the BNP.

Edited by pig

HOLA444
37 minutes ago, pig said:

I actually looked forward to a good debate on leaving the EU and was fairly open to voting for Brexit. But the whole thing stank pretty quickly - It seemed clear most Brexiters did not have a coherent plan or vision for Britain other than what you might get from the BNP.

Many voted with the latest negative news remain story of the day in mind, they voted brexit as a way of showing loyalty to country.......they voted brexit thinking it will be an improvement on what we have got today, not really knowing what the improvements will be, they voted brexit because the good old days were better......anything has got to be better than this.......I would also like to know what this improvement plan will be, and what it can do for us.....nobody has yet told us, all I know and see are the downsides, costs, restrictions and bureaucracy.;)

HOLA445
36 minutes ago, winkie said:

Many voted with the latest negative news remain story of the day in mind, they voted brexit as a way of showing loyalty to country.......they voted brexit thinking it will be an improvement on what we have got today, not really knowing what the improvements will be, they voted brexit because the good old days were better......anything has got to be better than this.......I would also like to know what this improvement plan will be, and what it can do for us.....nobody has yet told us, all I know and see are the downsides, costs, restrictions and bureaucracy.;)

Yes thats true, many voted out of genuine patriotic hope. Unfortunately a flag is a symbol anybody can pick up and use for their own ends.

HOLA446
HOLA447
5 hours ago, winkie said:

We will be saying the same about leaving the EU.....food prices have shot up since leaving.

How about we start growing more food to eat ourselves and not so much food to feed animals?......can't blame Europe for high prices then.......take back control.;)

It's a real opportunity to drive down food prices.  Just so long as they don't carry on trying to recreate being in the EU from the outside.

We can't realistically feed 68 million with organic sustainable natural foods, build more housing and generate solar energy.  Imports are necessary.  That's why we need to engage with countries like Australia and NZ.

HOLA448
1 hour ago, kzb said:

It's a real opportunity to drive down food prices.  Just so long as they don't carry on trying to recreate being in the EU from the outside.

We can't realistically feed 68 million with organic sustainable natural foods, build more housing and generate solar energy.  Imports are necessary.  That's why we need to engage with countries like Australia and NZ.

Yeah because it makes perfect sense to fly produce from the other side of the world. 🤣 The mental gymnastics being a Brexshit voting boomer never ends. Bless.

HOLA449

Brexit ‘patriots’ saying ‘Stop the invasion’ in Dover in protest against immigration

Police in riot gear have been stationed in Dover in large numbers after a group of anti-immigration protesters marched through the town.

Traffic leading to the ferry terminal was brought to a standstill on Saturday after around 50 people carrying England flags and banners saying “Stop the invasion” and “Defend our borders” demonstrated in the Kent port town.

The protest, reportedly organised by the Pembrokeshire Patriots group, was met with a heavy police presence.

Independent

Now, when EU migration has been suspended "Who are they actually protesting against?"

It was obvious that EU migrants will be replaced with other migrants, init?

OK I take it wasn't clear to everyone, some people are slow on the uptake, but it begging to say, "Be careful what you fish for!"

HOLA4410
6 hours ago, kzb said:

One day it's 'we need to griow more of our own' and we need to eat less, the next is global warming is an issue....and with the same logic....we need to put our farmers out of business, import from Australia and provide cheaper food.

That's totally Brexit brained, unicorn cake and eat it moron logic..... that I have totally come to expect. 

Edited by IMHAL

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
7 hours ago, kzb said:

Jesus, what planet are you on?

Edited by btl_hater

HOLA4413
7 hours ago, kzb said:

Long way-a-way both those countries......have you considered climate change and energy costs not to mention droughts and water shortages.....problems with mice as I understand it at the moment...... Australia is part of the Asia Pacific trade deal including China a trade block they are closer to.;)

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/16/economy/rcep-trade-agreement-intl-hnk/index.html

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, rollover said:

Brexit ‘patriots’ saying ‘Stop the invasion’ in Dover in protest against immigration

Police in riot gear have been stationed in Dover in large numbers after a group of anti-immigration protesters marched through the town.

The protest, reportedly organised by the Pembrokeshire Patriots group, was met with a heavy police presence.

Now, when EU migration has been suspended "Who are they actually protesting against?"

It was obvious that EU migrants will be replaced with other migrants, init?

Brexit was always going to fail on border control. Immigration from countries with non white populations was going to rise post Brexit - this will increase unrest as the new immigrants are easier for the racists to pick out.

HOLA4415
10 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Brexit was always going to fail on border control. Immigration from countries with non white populations was going to rise post Brexit - this will increase unrest as the new immigrants are easier for the racists to pick out.

Other countries in the world we will make trade agreements with will want something in return.....that might mean the ability to live and work here......the countries that have a younger population, with people prepared to leave their country of birth and start a new life in a new country, ours.......brexit was never anything to do with immigration, we need young and educated immigrants always have done, what we don't want is for our educated young leaving us because they see a better life and better prospects elsewhere.;)

HOLA4416

Britain To Build New "National Flagship" Vessel To Promote Post-Brexit Trade

Britain will build what it is calling a new "national flagship" vessel to host trade events and promote its post-Brexit interests around the world, Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced Saturday.

The ship will provide a global platform for high level trade negotiations as well as British businesses' products, his office said, as the United Kingdom seeks new trading ties after leaving the European Union last year.

It will also be expected to play a role in delivering the country's foreign and security policies, including by hosting summits and other diplomatic talks.

ndtv

Brexit Is the Real World's Boaty McBoatface | The Swamp

HOLA4417
4 minutes ago, rollover said:

Britain will build what it is calling a new "national flagship" vessel to host trade events and promote its post-Brexit interests around the world, Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced Saturday.

The ship will provide a global platform for high level trade negotiations as well as British businesses' products, his office said, as the United Kingdom seeks new trading ties after leaving the European Union last year.

It will also be expected to play a role in delivering the country's foreign and security policies, including by hosting summits and other diplomatic talks.

ndtv

Brexit Is the Real World's Boaty McBoatface | The Swamp

Will it have guns on it to deal with unruly foreigners?

HOLA4418
19 hours ago, kzb said:

The Swiss government has informed the European Commission it is ending efforts to reach an agreement on a long-anticipated political treaty that would cover trade between the two countries.

Switzerland refused to agree to the EU demand that the treaty would include freedom of movement stipulations.

“We regret this decision, given the progress that has been made over the last years,” the European Commission said in a statement.

The goods-trading relationship at risk is worth €227bn, with medical-technology companies among the most important exporters into the EU.

https://www.cityam.com/landlocked-brexit-switzerland-eu-talks-collapse-as-bern-walks-away-from-e227bn-trade-deal/

Trade talks between two entities collapse because of differences.

I am shocked, shocked! When does this ever happen?!

Edited by dugsbody

HOLA4419
43 minutes ago, rollover said:

ndtv

🤣

For domestic consumption. 

For the rest of the world it's like watching "The Office".

HOLA4420
12 hours ago, pig said:

FGS now playing the 'sneering' victim lol. But actually .... yes! How else is anybody supposed to react to your carry on ? 

Anybody can trot off and swot up on Britains post Empire headaches. Well apparently anybody except for you.

Nobody but the most myopic Brexiteer would insist these headaches started by 'coincidence' or otherwise when we joined the EEC.  

Cos Boomer houses were cheap. Cos the swinging sixties. Cos the winter of discontent. Cos basically I don't want trading in the EEC to be seen to have helped Britain.

So because you're mysteriously refusing to simply read up yourself, I guess others are supposed to do it for you and bring back the links for you right ? 

At which point, quite predictably you are most certainly not going to debate British 'declinism' in good faith because being a Brexiteer it must not have happened before the EEC. It just must not happened before the EEC. No really it must not have happened before the EEC....

So yes the history is interesting, but your weird myopia, is just as interesting, and here it is neatly exposed over what is a relatively simple point. 

I mean do you actually believe what you are posting ?  Do you care ? Is it a question of as you say 'grandstanding in front of your mates' ? Or is Brexit actually like a bad Religion or cult ? What ?

Gee, that's one hell of a rant. 

But the serious questions include relative decline (inevitable given uk produced more than 50% of world's manufactured goods in victorian times) vs growth, rises in living standards vs rises in pieces of paper floating around, world trade vs protectionism, free trade vs ever closer union and finally the extent of EU's effect on uk in all that. 

I don't think a barrage of abuse helps unpick any of it. 

While I can admire quality invective, and even like ad hominem attacks, I don't quite get how the rant relates to the subjects?

HOLA4421
3 minutes ago, 24gray24 said:

I don't think a barrage of abuse helps unpick any of it. 

You don't get to make these demands. Everyone learned very well from brexiters how you win at politics. You insult your neighbours for 40 years, invent lie after lie after lie after lie. Abuse is just part of the game now, because, in the childish spirit of brexiters "you started it".

I'd learn to live with it if I were you, we had to unfortunately.

Edited by dugsbody

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
12 hours ago, pig said:

The British traditionally oppose the biggest power in Europe swallowing up the whole place. That's where they're most comfortable. 

It's more or less a reversion to type isn't it? 

HOLA4424
1 minute ago, dugsbody said:

You don't get to make these demands. Everyone learned very well from brexiters how you win at politics. You insult your neighbours for 40 years, invent lie after lie after lie after lie. Abuse is just part of the game now, because, in the childish spirit of brexiters "you started it".

I'd learn to live with it if I were you, we had to unfortunately.

Now you're just lying. 

I don't do any of that. 

HOLA4425
13 hours ago, winkie said:

Europe was always keen about self sufficiency in food, as the germans had been starved out in both world wars. 

UK traditionally preferred cheap food (and wasn't fussed about protectionism in food.) 

Now uk is reverting to type,  you'd expect TPTB to prefer food loaded with foreign additives rather than higher prices. 

Of course inflation is now a worldwide worry. But caused by money printing worldwide, not brexit.