House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441

Anarchism huh. Sovereignty for the country, county, town, village, hamlett etc.

Ultimately leading to....... The Sovereign Individual?

Best definition is the lack of authority and as decentralised as possible. I became disenchanted by the Far left after my experience of living in a family of them. Now i look towards technological solutions. The EU is the wrong direction, centralist, increasingly authoritarian and not actually interested in diversity. Just consider what trying to leave the EU would look like in 10, 20, 30 years time. It seems benign at the moment, but the only control on that anyone really has is the ability to walk away. You certainly cannot vote against the commission in any real sense.

HOLA442

Best definition is the lack of authority and as decentralised as possible. I became disenchanted by the Far left after my experience of living in a family of them. Now i look towards technological solutions. The EU is the wrong direction, centralist, increasingly authoritarian and not actually interested in diversity. Just consider what trying to leave the EU would look like in 10, 20, 30 years time. It seems benign at the moment, but the only control on that anyone really has is the ability to walk away. You certainly cannot vote against the commission in any real sense.

Sounds like well ordered semi-chaos to be replaces by total chaos and feuding.

Each to their own. Good luck working for the university of the village of Sweaty bottom on Thames in that case, to be employed by the local village chief/strongman instead.

Edited by IMHAL

HOLA443

In your utopia there would be no voting, and the only way to ‘walk away’, i.e. to implement a different system, would be via a painful revolution. You might have abandoned the far left but you still have the same utopian delusions.

HOLA444
19 hours ago, dances with sheeple said:

He must have been hard if it took 80 of them? Not all Scots are as brainwashed and rabid as Nicola though, that is why they lost the referendum.

He managed to Judo throw the first guy to jump on his back - it was impressive.  But then he fell over and that was it.  Obviously you can't get 80 pairs of boots going in on one guy so most of the rabble lost interest - I think they just enjoyed the chase.

I will say one thing though; there were never any knives or weapons used in these encounters.  Just honest to goodness fists and boots.  The Scots are honourable that way :)

HOLA445
On 05/01/2021 at 01:01, kzb said:
On 04/01/2021 at 23:11, markyh said:

These two points alone should now scare the Scots so much with uncertainty they just wont ever vote to leave the UK again.

I agree with your post, and that is a terrific point in the video:  the Scottish Welfare State in the tender care of the Germans, ask the Greeks about that -!

But my point is why the Scots Nationalists are not despised in the same way as Brexiters.  There are obvious similarities but the BBC gives Sturgeon more airtime than all other politicians put together. 

There is no Project Fear directed at the SNP, quite the reverse, they are supported because it is anti-Brexit.  But the real Project Fear is 10X that of Brexit even looking at just what you wrote!

There is plenty anti-Scotland propaganda starting with Bozo. Just listen to the absurd stuff he's just come out with today.

But personally, I think he just wants Scotland gone, and he's been pretty effective so far. Bring it on!

HOLA446
7 minutes ago, ZeroSumGame said:

There is plenty anti-Scotland propaganda starting with Bozo. Just listen to the absurd stuff he's just come out with today.

But personally, I think he just wants Scotland gone, and he's been pretty effective so far. Bring it on!

I don't know what he's said today, I've been busy, but not noticed anything on the TV in the background.

If at last we have some resistance to the SNP lies then it's about time.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

On the origin of the English language and culture, if anyone thinks a single playwright, if that was Shakespeare, somehow created it then they really didn't get my parody of pseuds. Shakespeare didn't have any particular popularity outside London until long after his death. There's no particular evidence that in that period any of his turns of phrase became typical sayings, or that he coined many of them. And this is given even the relative dominance of London, but given the relatively poor communications at the time it was not all encompassing. Indeed, even less than 100 years ago there was a lot of regional variation. 

In terms of the British Empire being short, it existed in effect for the majority of the existence of the UK. If we take a wider definition, then at least from the late 16th to the mid 20th century in a history in any modern form dating only from 1066, which is still about 40% of its history. 

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
47 minutes ago, kzb said:
7 minutes ago, kzb said:

What I want to see is a full-on expose, not this pussy footing about.

If at last we have some resistance to the SNP lies then it's about time.

Tell you what : you start. Lead by example.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
20 minutes ago, kzb said:

I'm a nobody.  I want the BBC or C4 to take the lead, just like they did with Brexit.

I'm a nobody too. Can't vouch for terrestrial TV, as BBC 'News' is unwatchable. So where do you get your information that so annoys you about the Scottish Government? 

HOLA4414
7 minutes ago, ZeroSumGame said:

I'm a nobody too. Can't vouch for terrestrial TV, as BBC 'News' is unwatchable. So where do you get your information that so annoys you about the Scottish Government? 

I've realised in the last year or so, when certain Scots speak for long periods, it is like there is a relentless drum beat in the background.  Like they are speaking in time to a drum.  And it goes on, and on, and on, like they are marching with their mouths.

This is certainly a factor in BBC News being "unwatchable", particularly when they have Nicola Sturgeon given hours of uncritical coverage in the Scottish parliament.

HOLA4415
4 minutes ago, kzb said:

This is certainly a factor in BBC News being "unwatchable", particularly when they have Nicola Sturgeon given hours of uncritical coverage in the Scottish parliament.

You do realise that the BBC (Scotland) stopped broadcasting the Scottish government and were forced to return to the airwaves under duress (or legal action). Hardly uncritical is it?

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, NobodyInParticular said:

In terms of the British Empire being short, it existed in effect for the majority of the existence of the UK. If we take a wider definition, then at least from the late 16th to the mid 20th century in a history in any modern form dating only from 1066, which is still about 40% of its history. 

In my view, the British Empire began in the late C16 with colonisation of the Carribean Islands and part of America, and finished in the period after WW2.

But the United Kingdom only came into existence in 1801 with the Act of Union with Ireland.  Great Britain came in to existence with the Act of Union with Scotland in 1707, hope I got that date right.

HOLA4417
7 minutes ago, skinnylattej said:

In my view, the British Empire began in the late C16 with colonisation of the Carribean Islands and part of America,

And Ireland. But that's the period I would use for the same reason. 

and finished in the period after WW2.

Ditto. 

But the United Kingdom only came into existence in 1801 with the Act of Union with Ireland.  Great Britain came in to existence with the Act of Union with Scotland in 1707, hope I got that date right.

So empire was roughly 3/4 of the existence of the UK to date. Or a bit less if you take the real end to be India and 1947, and a greater proportion of the existence of Great Britain. 

HOLA4418
34 minutes ago, kzb said:

The only place you are likely to see hours of coverage of any UK legislative body is BBC Parliament and it basically just shows footage and is uncritical of it. So you are complaining that the SNP gets treated the same.

Not that anyone watches BBC Parliament, but it's important that it exists. 

On BBC news, even on Radio, Sturgeon gets next to no coverage. 

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
13 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

Best definition is the lack of authority and as decentralised as possible. I became disenchanted by the Far left after my experience of living in a family of them. Now i look towards technological solutions. The EU is the wrong direction, centralist, increasingly authoritarian and not actually interested in diversity. Just consider what trying to leave the EU would look like in 10, 20, 30 years time. It seems benign at the moment, but the only control on that anyone really has is the ability to walk away.

The EU introduced QMV, and wants a bigger role for the Parliament, but mostly seeks consensus. That seems like the opposite of increasing authoritarianism. 

13 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

You certainly cannot vote against the commission in any real sense.

Except that the Council of Ministers and Parliament do that, being the sovereign bodies. 

You seem to have swallowed Brexiteer nonsense about the EU hook, line and sinker. 

HOLA4421
6 minutes ago, NobodyInParticular said:

The EU introduced QMV, and wants a bigger role for the Parliament, but mostly seeks consensus. That seems like the opposite of increasing authoritarianism. 

Except that the Council of Ministers and Parliament do that, being the sovereign bodies. 

You seem to have swallowed Brexiteer nonsense about the EU hook, line and sinker. 

...and if you vote against?

HOLA4422
On 1/5/2021 at 3:56 PM, rollover said:

Over 80,000 UK-run websites have been plunged into a blackout following a culling of EU domain names after Brexit.

EURid, which manages the European Union domain name, has suspended the .eu websites under new rules that came into force on 1 January.

Cityam

People were warned four years ago. 

On 1/5/2021 at 4:27 PM, debtlessmanc said:

Any evidence for that? Given that the modern English language and culture is pretty much the invention of two 16th century writers one a playwright and the other a translator of the bible? Empire is a brief episode in the detailed written history of England.

I will quote Tony Benn of all people "All i am asking of the EEC is they give us the same freedoms we eventually gave the people who we wrongly colonized"

Shakespeare wrote a few historical plays for the court. Most of the rest are not even set in England and the most English thing, apart from the general language, is probably all the knob jokes. He wasn't really known outside London or the upper classes during his lifetime and only came to be published in volume about 80 years after his death, but most of the population was illiterate. His effect on the language and culture of his period was pretty much zero. He may be lauded now and quotes have entered the language now but there's basically zero evidence of any entering it at the time he was writing. Influence on culture of the time? Zero. 

The King James Bible is a similar story. 

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Hmm, leprechauns on the endangered list and the Unicorns continue dropping like flys:

Pan-EU food supply chains hit by Brexit trade deal

Industry concerned that goods imported into UK from bloc and then re-exported to member states face high tariffs

Some more happy people in the comments also.

More happy Sun readers: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13594550/brexit-news-latest-travel-borders-uk-eu-sweden-spain-live/

BREXIT TRAILBLAZER JUMPS SHIP

A former Ukip MP has been berated for leaving the UK and accepting a job in the US after fighting for Brexit.

Douglas Carswell, who was the first elected MP for the UK Independence Party in 2014, is set to move to the US to head up Mississippi’s Centre for Public Policy.image.png.44540dfe5eb1dff3ab26080b0cac5086.png

"Douglas Carswell is a hero and legend for his bravery in fighting for Britain's freedom. The abuse he and Nigel Farage and Boris received was horrendous. They were tough days, with very few public figures having any guts to fight for this country. Thank you Mr Carswell, you have my gratitude."

"I don't think he will be able to hear you from Mississippi."

"Douglas Carswell has RAN AWAY to The States that try and hack Brexit Britain... well, colour me surprised!"

Edited by DarkHorseWaits-NoMore
updated

HOLA4425
58 minutes ago, NobodyInParticular said:

People were warned four years ago. 

Shakespeare wrote a few historical plays for the court. Most of the rest are not even set in England and the most English thing, apart from the general language, is probably all the knob jokes. He wasn't really known outside London or the upper classes during his lifetime and only came to be published in volume about 80 years after his death, but most of the population was illiterate. His effect on the language and culture of his period was pretty much zero. He may be lauded now and quotes have entered the language now but there's basically zero evidence of any entering it at the time he was writing. Influence on culture of the time? Zero. 

The King James Bible is a similar story. 

The King James bible was read to the people, everyone heard it. over 1700 everyday english words were first used by shakespeare. I did not say that Shakespeare or Tyndale magicked the English culture into existance in a decade, it is the 100 year shadow that matters. To what do you ascribe what the english language (or indeed culture) in its current form? Most of the supposed stereotypes of English people can be found in middle age writings, indeed the English antagnonism towards the rulers and philosophy of continental europe is first attested to in ecclesiasticl writings from 12th-13th century. I suspect it has its origins in the little known reasons that the 5th century refugee influx occured.

Edited by debtlessmanc