House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441

English identity seems to be tied up with old ideas of empire and it's current lesser empire, Great Britain.

And don't forget the message ringing out from the echo chambers since the BLM protests.

I'm English, muh statues define me.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

English identity seems to be tied up with old ideas of empire and it's current lesser empire, Great Britain (and NI).

Any evidence for that? Given that the modern English language and culture is pretty much the invention of two 16th century writers one a playwright and the other a translator of the bible? Empire is a brief episode in the detailed written history of England.

I will quote Tony Benn of all people "All i am asking of the EEC is they give us the same freedoms we eventually gave the people who we wrongly colonized"

Edited by debtlessmanc

HOLA445

Any evidence for that? Given that the modern English language and culture is pretty much the invention of two 16th century writers one a playwright and the other a translator of the bible? Empire is a brief episode in the detailed written history of England.

I will quote Tony Benn of all people "All i am asking of the EEC is they give us the same freedoms we eventually gave the people who we wrongly colonized"

Only Scotland, Wales and to a lesser extent NI. Hopefully Tony B's quote will work out for these countries too.

HOLA446

Some 'some supporters' might say stuff from time to time...now theres a novelty. 

So, there is no mass propaganda campaign aimed at causing division and discord that is being run by the SNP then......other than Braveheart 😆

I grew up in Scotland (left for London at 23) and I can attest that the "propaganda campaign" starts at Primary school during history lessons.  Of course we all hated the English at our school because we were taught in great detail about the "Butcher Cumberland" who flayed young Scots alive at the Battle of Culloden.  He was one of the many colourful characters we learnt about idly during the day.  We also learnt about the incredibly brave William Wallace who, albeit being a serial killer, was a bloody hero through and through (the size of that sword!)

I witnessed a whole year of male pupils (around 80 or so) chase "Frank the W*nk" round a school and beat the cr*p out of him because he was English.  This kind of thing was commonplace.  Character building stuff for Frank I'm sure (he did seem to do alright with the ladies though - perhaps that was the real reason they chased him?)

If you went to a posh private school you were probably fine.  If not then good luck (the nicest thing you'd be called would be "Sassenach").

So it's not really a stretch that there may be just a wee bit of hatred in the SNP for the English.  

As for racism down in England.  The worst I've been called is a "sweaty sock" and even this was said with a smile.  Two very different worlds.

HOLA447

All little people should pay their taxes. and if you import, you pay import tax, full stop.  I run a USA built EV.  There are 1000 x the numbers on the road in the USA compared to the UK. Parts are 70% cheaper importing for the USA, paying shipping, paying import VAT duty.  A wheel bearing alone was £150 from Euro car parts, £45 from USA with tax and shipping. Same genuine AC Delco OEM part too.  If a USA Autoparts retailer can cope with the UK system happily, and sort everything for me at the point of order, i just give a credit card, why cant EU retailers. 

I just dont see the problem. 

I'd suggest (a) that you brought those parts before 01/Jan/2021 when the changes came in and (b) that some companies sell so many low value (<£135) goods to the UK that they are eligible to be part of the UK VAT accounting scheme.

In my experience most shops don't do that much UK  trade and of those that do and who are in the EU I've known them to stop selling for the rest of the year as they're reached the €100,000 limit for UK exports. And apparently the process for remitting UK VAT, which applies above that threshold is too much work.

And if that's not enough I'm lead to believe that the EU is implementing similar on their end. So it's a "No trade barriers" trade barrier and we're all going to see the effects eventually, importers and exporters alike.

HOLA448
HOLA449

because most posts are scaremongering BS ? 

order a bespoke laptop from lenovo and it comes from china in 48hrs when built and dispatched via UPS own door to door delivery system including there own 747 cargo planes. 

i ordered a leather jacket from india and it arrived via dhl in 2 days. 

trying buying something from germany 🤣

But sadly you weren't able to order any more capital letters? 😏

I've found the average European time from dispatch to arrival using DHL is a week. And it doesn't seem to matter where in Europe you buy from. Japan is the same.

From the U.S., UPS takes roughly 2 weeks although they tend to defer VAT (+ duty if over £135) and invoice you later, which is nice.

As for China / SE Asia, Speedpost/EMS & Fedex usually takes less than a week but is pricey. Local mail carriers take anything from 6 days(!) to almost 4 months, although the tracking usually shows customs as the reason for the delays. Once released it typically takes 1-5 days for Royal Mail to figure out where it goes.

I would like to know what you brought from Germany and which postal service you used though. DHL seems to be by far the most common and although they can be unreliable when they work they work fast.

And don't say PostNL. That's not a postal company; it's a package disposal firm.

HOLA4410

I'd suggest (a) that you brought those parts before 01/Jan/2021 when the changes came in and (b) that some companies sell so many low value (<£135) goods to the UK that they are eligible to be part of the UK VAT accounting scheme.

In my experience most shops don't do that much UK  trade and of those that do and who are in the EU I've known them to stop selling for the rest of the year as they're reached the €100,000 limit for UK exports. And apparently the process for remitting UK VAT, which applies above that threshold is too much work.

And if that's not enough I'm lead to believe that the EU is implementing similar on their end. So it's a "No trade barriers" trade barrier and we're all going to see the effects eventually, importers and exporters alike.

https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-news/eu-2021-e-commerce-vat-package.html

HOLA4411

But sadly you weren't able to order any more capital letters? 😏

I've found the average European time from dispatch to arrival using DHL is a week. And it doesn't seem to matter where in Europe you buy from. Japan is the same.

From the U.S., UPS takes roughly 2 weeks although they tend to defer VAT (+ duty if over £135) and invoice you later, which is nice.

As for China / SE Asia, Speedpost/EMS & Fedex usually takes less than a week but is pricey. Local mail carriers take anything from 6 days(!) to almost 4 months, although the tracking usually shows customs as the reason for the delays. Once released it typically takes 1-5 days for Royal Mail to figure out where it goes.

I would like to know what you brought from Germany and which postal service you used though. DHL seems to be by far the most common and although they can be unreliable when they work they work fast.

And don't say PostNL. That's not a postal company; it's a package disposal firm.

Dhl are slow and useless in Europe.  For most cost effectiveness choose Dpd. And believe it or not i found the fastest service to be Parcelforce or gls which is who actually runs it the best to central Europe.  

if you want speed you must pay and drop it off early or even better have it collected then it will go overnight guaranteed. 

i have had a parcel get to poland in two days via dpd in the past for £12 up to 4kg. 

Cheap tat will take an age from asia to get here upto 6 weeks sometime but organized supply chains are much quicker, the slowest part is getting the box through customs. i tracked my lenovo laptop from Kunshan to Shanghai then  to Dubai then cologne then Heathrow then onto to van in two days sent friday night arrived monday morning. 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Yes, I'm aware of it. They're going to remove the tariff relief, reduce the interstate threshold to €10,000 (was €100,000) and implement a simplified system for member states to use for VAT accounting and submission. Not sure how that helps us though, barring UK exporters with an EU office.

Dhl are slow and useless in Europe.  For most cost effectiveness choose Dpd. And believe it or not i found the fastest service to be Parcelforce or gls which is who actually runs it the best to central Europe.  

if you want speed you must pay and drop it off early or even better have it collected then it will go overnight guaranteed. 

i have had a parcel get to poland in two days via dpd in the past for £12 up to 4kg. 

Cheap tat will take an age from asia to get here upto 6 weeks sometime but organized supply chains are much quicker, the slowest part is getting the box through customs. i tracked my lenovo laptop from Kunshan to Shanghai then  to Dubai then cologne then Heathrow then onto to van in two days sent friday night arrived monday morning. 

As I said in my experience DHL are fine when they work. Parcelfarce/GLS seem to be good for 48 hour(ish) deliveries but I believe you need to have a commercial contract (= regular postings) to actually use them in Europe.

Swisspost, which despite the name isn't actually Swiss is another best avoided although in my experience it's rare to see much sent by them.

HOLA4414

It's easy to do and if you CBA you can get an accountant to do it all for you.

So what they are really saying is that the marginal return on the extra business they get doesn't make it worth it in their view. Which is fair enough. But its a fallacy to believe it is difficult or impossible.

It's also an inevitablity (if you want higher turnover and a more valuable business) that at some point you are going to hit the VAT threshold. If you are not prepared to go through it to grow your business, its unlikely you are going to be prepared to go through the multitude of other steps necessary to move your business forward to a higher turnover either.

In short, people who aren't interested in getting big will stay small because they CBA no matter what.

HOLA4415

IME all the major couriers are much of a muchness. I prefer DHL Express because I find their handling better than some of the others, but they are all capable of doing some pretty crappy stuff.

Services to avoid, I would say Parcelfarce.

I would add one other thing which I recently found out about special delivery. Special delivery used to be a gold standard IME, certainly head and shoulders above other RM services. However I recently got a parcel left on my site without a signature. Apparently because of covid special delivery no longer requires a signature (small print available on the site). Which means if you are a domestic user you could get some pretty expensive stuff left on your doorstep.

Happy to be corrected if this procedure has changed, but for me special delivery is a long way from being as "special" as it formerly was.

HOLA4416

Yes, I'm aware of it. They're going to remove the tariff relief, reduce the interstate threshold to €10,000 (was €100,000) and implement a simplified system for member states to use for VAT accounting and submission. Not sure how that helps us though, barring UK exporters with an EU office.

As I said in my experience DHL are fine when they work. Parcelfarce/GLS seem to be good for 48 hour(ish) deliveries but I believe you need to have a commercial contract (= regular postings) to actually use them in Europe.

Swisspost, which despite the name isn't actually Swiss is another best avoided although in my experience it's rare to see much sent by them.

You are nearly always better off going through an intermediary to book parcels the only exception is ups domestic parcels which can be under £5 for next day. 

interparcel or transglobal express are both good their ascendia service is dirt cheap £7 to the EU but 3-4 days delivery. 

also transglobal for heavy parcels upto 30kg under £10 domestic. 

HOLA4417

Pathetic brexiteer posing as a remainer. Scotland and NI removed from the EU against their will is the truth. No wonder Scotland wants free of the shackles of England with an attitude like yours.

As i have pointed out here before, i lean towards anarchism as the ideal state, i believe in independence for scotland, wales, yorkshire, norfolk, rutland and so on. I am thus no really keen on supranational empires. i look to a future myriad of states with some kind of AI rule maker and distributed manufacturing/Agriculture. For the moment, the less politicians the better is a pretty good guide.

Scotland shoud be granted independence, but the idea it will find true happiness by immediately joining the EU, is illusory. The problem with politics is we always end up being rule by egotistists/sociopaths. Sturgeon is no difference, she fancies hobnobbing with Angela and getting in on a skype call to the chinese premier. Massage the ego and a better paid job in Brussels. None of this is about the happiness of the average Scot.

HOLA4418

IME all the major couriers are much of a muchness. I prefer DHL Express because I find their handling better than some of the others, but they are all capable of doing some pretty crappy stuff.

Services to avoid, I would say Parcelfarce.

I would add one other thing which I recently found out about special delivery. Special delivery used to be a gold standard IME, certainly head and shoulders above other RM services. However I recently got a parcel left on my site without a signature. Apparently because of covid special delivery no longer requires a signature (small print available on the site). Which means if you are a domestic user you could get some pretty expensive stuff left on your doorstep.

Happy to be corrected if this procedure has changed, but for me special delivery is a long way from being as "special" as it formerly was.

correct SD is not even guaranteed while covid is going on , however you can claim the cost of the service back if you are the sender. 

only time i use SD is for a phone or something small over £150 

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I grew up in Scotland (left for London at 23) and I can attest that the "propaganda campaign" starts at Primary school during history lessons.  Of course we all hated the English at our school because we were taught in great detail about the "Butcher Cumberland" who flayed young Scots alive at the Battle of Culloden.  He was one of the many colourful characters we learnt about idly during the day.  We also learnt about the incredibly brave William Wallace who, albeit being a serial killer, was a bloody hero through and through (the size of that sword!)

I witnessed a whole year of male pupils (around 80 or so) chase "Frank the W*nk" round a school and beat the cr*p out of him because he was English.  This kind of thing was commonplace.  Character building stuff for Frank I'm sure (he did seem to do alright with the ladies though - perhaps that was the real reason they chased him?)

If you went to a posh private school you were probably fine.  If not then good luck (the nicest thing you'd be called would be "Sassenach").

So it's not really a stretch that there may be just a wee bit of hatred in the SNP for the English.  

As for racism down in England.  The worst I've been called is a "sweaty sock" and even this was said with a smile.  Two very different worlds.

He must have been hard if it took 80 of them? Not all Scots are as brainwashed and rabid as Nicola though, that is why they lost the referendum.

HOLA4421

Pathetic brexiteer posing as a remainer. Scotland and NI removed from the EU against their will is the truth. No wonder Scotland wants free of the shackles of England with an attitude like yours.

Don`t believe all the p*ish you hear coming out of the SNP, people who are economically fearful are not going to vote to break up the UK, Scotland trying to join the Euro would be an unimaginable disaster IMO.

HOLA4422

Don`t believe all the p*ish you hear coming out of the SNP, people who are economically fearful are not going to vote to break up the UK, Scotland trying to join the Euro would be an unimaginable disaster IMO.

Och eye yes, they be doomed I tell thee. What's this? The start of ProJekt Dooooom.

Last I looked, Vote England ignored all warning.....I can imagine the Scots doing the same.

HOLA4423

You're behind the times, 16th century? Pah ! These days English identity has reinvented itself on social media and is so secure in itself that there are literally millions of English who define themselves as "Not Woke".

HOLA4424

As i have pointed out here before, i lean towards anarchism as the ideal state, i believe in independence for scotland, wales, yorkshire, norfolk, rutland and so on. I am thus no really keen on supranational empires. i look to a future myriad of states with some kind of AI rule maker and distributed manufacturing/Agriculture. For the moment, the less politicians the better is a pretty good guide.

Scotland shoud be granted independence, but the idea it will find true happiness by immediately joining the EU, is illusory. The problem with politics is we always end up being rule by egotistists/sociopaths. Sturgeon is no difference, she fancies hobnobbing with Angela and getting in on a skype call to the chinese premier. Massage the ego and a better paid job in Brussels. None of this is about the happiness of the average Scot.

Anarchism huh. Sovereignty for the country, county, town, village, hamlett etc.

Ultimately leading to....... The Sovereign Individual?

HOLA4425

A lack of an equivalence ruling on share-trading rules means banks must trade euro-denominated shares using entities based within the bloc

We have a deal in trade which benefits the EU, but not a deal in services which would have benefitted the UK. A deal that does not cover services and non-tariff barriers, but introduces trade frictions and hampers immigrations, will probably erode the competitiveness of UK businesses and lower the domestic growth potential.

The reality of the agreement to discuss, is that it is much weaker than what was in the political declaration agreed by the May Government and EU. Johnson failed to achieve a Brexit deal that adequately represented financial services, the sector was one of the most left behind in the talks for a free trade agreement.

“What all of this means in the commercial world is probably that firms need to carry on with their no-deal plans.”

Other crucial points are the movement of people and assets, as well as regulation around data sharing.

At the eleventh hour, the Financial Conduct Authority said on 31 December that it would temporarily allow UK participants to trade swaps in the European Union for up to three months.

fnlondon