House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441

You can check out, but you can never leave (with NI, Gibraltar, Fishing grounds, Scotland......?)

Looks like we have had our short term tantrum and that longer term convergence is the most likely outcome - and I am all the happier for it.  

We are so integrated now such that these border issues will never go away, and so I think we are seeing the two speed future of Europe (the Union with centralised governance, Army, Euro and Schengen as an inner ring and a set of trading klingons such as EFTA, EEA and UK as an outer ring) taking shape.  The big question for me is whether any others will decide to leave the inner circle to join the loser trade group.

HOLA442
HOLA443

You can check out, but you can never leave (with NI, Gibraltar, Fishing grounds, Scotland......?)

Looks like we have had our short term tantrum and that longer term convergence is the most likely outcome - and I am all the happier for it.  

We are so integrated now such that these border issues will never go away, and so I think we are seeing the two speed future of Europe (the Union with centralised governance, Army, Euro and Schengen as an inner ring and a set of trading klingons such as EFTA, EEA and UK as an outer ring) taking shape.  The big question for me is whether any others will decide to leave the inner circle to join the loser trade group.

I've been told that this isn't possible... We shall now see..

HOLA444

Boris Johnson's dad Stanley applying for EU citizenship after Brexit

Boris Johnson's father is applying for EU citizenship, he said on Thursday.

Stanley Johnson said he wanted to remain a full European after Brexit.

Britain is due to leave EU trade and customs rules on New Year's Day.

https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-father-stanley-applying-for-french-citizenship-after-brexit-2020-12?r=US&IR=T

dont like the p**k but at least he voted remain unlike that reptile Farrage who has obtained a German passport so he can retire to the sun when it suits. The f*kg hypocrite paraiste.. 

HOLA445
HOLA446

dont like the p**k but at least he voted remain unlike that reptile Farrage who has obtained a German passport so he can retire to the sun when it suits. The f*kg hypocrite paraiste.. 

He is the Abu Hamza of the stockbroking belt, a modern day worm tongue stirring up hatred.... and as you say, a hypocritical maggot.

HOLA447

Or that he can have the same rights as his German wife?

Lets face it, he had that German passport at the back of his mind when promoting Brexit, a Brexit in that he could see some sort of financial future for himself in some way or other. He didn't and doesn't give a monkeys turd about the idiots that he roped into voting Brexit. 

HOLA448
HOLA449

Gibraltar gets UK-Spain deal to keep open border

To avoid a hard border, they have agreed that Gibraltar will join the EU's Schengen zone and follow other EU rules, while remaining part of the UK.

The Remain vote there was an overwhelming 96% in the 2016 EU referendum.

BBC

So as a UK citizen, can I move to Gibraltar and remain in the EU?

HOLA4410

Or that he can have the same rights as his German wife?

That's right. Slag off the EU, get rid of FoM for the plebs and take advantage of a bolt hole to the zone you were slagging off...just in case it all goes t1ts up over here. Surely he can visit Germany for the 90 days same as everyone else.

Oh, and in 2017 he said he would go and live in Germany if Brexit turn out to be a disaster. One and One make Two in this case. Hypocrite that he is.

Oh, and another thing. He split up from his German wife in 2018. I'd say that if gained German citizenship before then...he should renouce it before we know if Brexit turns into sh1t or not. I doubt the selfish maggot know anything other than whats good for him. 

Edited by IMHAL

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

That's right. Slag off the EU, get rid of FoM for the plebs and take advantage of a bolt hole to the zone you were slagging off...just in case it all goes t1ts up over here. Surely he can visit Germany for the 90 days same as everyone else.

Oh, and in 2017 he said he would go and live in Germany if Brexit turn out to be a disaster. One and One make Two in this case. Hypocrite that he is.

Hmm, on a site where bad news for the country is good news for the posters.  Ironic?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I hope so, but I'm not at all confident. 

Like a booby prize you mean?

New import duties? 

Fact check suggests he does not have German citizenship. It's not like he'd have a basis for such, else I'd be able to get it too. I could, relatively quickly... if I lived in Germany, but I don't and nor does Farage. 

His kids potentially get it, and I believe now have it, but even that's not straightforward - were people born between a certain time period, marital status of parents at birth, which parent was German and when, were any stateless? Both my wife's German grandparents managed to achieve the last one via two entirely different routes. 

HOLA4415

Hmm, on a site where bad news for the country is good news for the posters.  Ironic?

Pointing out the bad news facts about Brexit is simply telling it as it is. Being hopefull that something good can come out of it is Ok, but it's speculation and in my view deluded.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The interesting thing is going to be a month from now whether chaos has hit or not at borders and for exporters / businesses.

If as I suspect it goes tits up at first opportunity then those crowing will disapate faster than the speed of blame. Trying to fob it off as teething problems wont wash and all the spin won't deflect it.

The fishing communities are lining up to slag off Johnson and when enough sticks it will be the next Etonian's turn

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Pointing out the bad news facts about Brexit is simply telling it as it is. Being hopefull that something good can come out of it is Ok, but it's speculation and in my view deluded.

Ha ha, if it were just bad news about Brexit but there have been more glorious potential Black Swan events on here than at a black swan extravaganza.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

The growth rate in both uk and eu is terrible. Rapid growth is thousands of miles away. 

Describing uk Norway Switzerland as losers and italy France Germany as winners is just silly. 

We're all laggards. 

And who can sort it out first  is anyone's guess. It could be italy as europe's powerhouse  in 25 years for all we know. Or russia. 

Let's just concentrate on our own (long) list of problems and not start getting too fatalistic about them: most are not unsolvable nor ordained by God.  

All you need is a few oligarchs and politicians going to jail, and the rest will get the idea real quick. 

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Don't think most Brits will notice much of a change over 2021...less choice, slightly higher costs, more hassle to travel.

And occasional, horrible and unexpected aftershocks. Things we took for granted gone. Little EU pleasures lost.

Small companies that have found a niche selling into the EU will likely shrink/desist. JiT will change/end, supply chains too, but we should get some new importers. Maybe Africa will kick in a bit more?

Suspect the UK will test the divergence route pretty quickly with other FTAs and an approach to the CPTPP - though that's far from straightforward. I think they'll push hard for an India deal. And we'll get to see how investment into the UK fares - think we'll get a sense of whether the UK is waving or drowning by end of 21/early 22.

I don't think the UK nations will split, UK govt will say give us a year or two to try the deal out.

Watching the EU sign with CCP today makes me ponder the post-Trump geopolitical drift. Merkel wanted the completion and EU clearly wanted to send a message of intent - seven years of negotiations but they pick now, just weeks before Biden takes office to sign first draft off. It opens a door for Johnson with Biden.

I understand that the EU wants to position itself as the 3rd global superpower, but I think to do that they're going to need a military element if they want autonomy from the US.

In a sense I see this as a positive, the EU must evolve. And with us gone they seem to be making progress - don't think we would have agreed to the covid fund or the CCP move today and I don't think we would ever back an EU military component.

Next big spat/test with EU will come when Johnson wants to sign off on new regs in a FTA/trade area, maybe towards end of 21.

And I see the US pushing the anti-China theme, still "America First" - I think Johnson will work to play along with this.

New chances, new dangers for the UK.

HOLA4425

The interesting thing is going to be a month from now whether chaos has hit or not at borders and for exporters / businesses.

If as I suspect it goes tits up at first opportunity then those crowing will disapate faster than the speed of blame. Trying to fob it off as teething problems wont wash and all the spin won't deflect it.

The fishing communities are lining up to slag off Johnson and when enough sticks it will be the next Etonian's turn

It's rees mogg's turn next. 

Macron is none too popular himself, so he may hesitate to let too much of France's 45b in exports to uk rot in French lorries while they queue. 

I'd be more worried about 5m unemployed and cascades of bankruptcies than any mountain of over ripe camembert. 

Brexit will seem an Interesting historical detail, but no relevance to anything current. People will yawn if you try to talk about it.