House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
2 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Your quite right, there has always been a Brexit deal that could have been negotiated through parliament. But the Tory right are not remotely interested in that. They want the ability to restructure the UK economy more closely aligned with the US free market model.

I really am tired of listening to Tory MPs like Gove and Raab repeating ad nauseum that most MPs elected to this Parliament were elected on a  manifesto to deliver Brexit so it should have been delivered by now. 

Any intelligent person knows that the two forms of Brexit in the Conservative and Labour Parties manifestos  are quite distinct and MPs from either party are not obligated to vote for a deal that they dont think appropriate and not in the best interest of their constituents and the country.

Agree with all of this.  Given the 48/52 split some sort of EEA/EFTA with a sensible discussion over how to deal with the RoI/NI border would have had one I would think.  Maybe even a little more Brexit would have passed.

I'm a remainer and I would have accepted this.  What I do not accept is the ERG/Brexit party type Brexit even though both are a Brexit.

HOLA444
5 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Any intelligent person knows that the two forms of Brexit in the Conservative and Labour Parties manifestos  are quite distinct and MPs from either party are not obligated to vote for a deal that they dont think appropriate and not in the best interest of their constituents and the country.

By implication you can actually say what Labour's Brexit policy is? Good man; you've achieved the impossible!

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
3 minutes ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

Just as it is for the LibDems?

All parties will adapt for a changing voter base. 

Checkout this Rollercoaster:

image.png.31bb2c8a615c55bdff8a79d83fb66ccd.png

My recollection is that the LibDems didn't have anything at all to do with starting this.  Happy to be proved wrong though...  Sure they have gained from it but that's just come out in the process.

HOLA448
HOLA449
13 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

Your quite right, there has always been a Brexit deal that could have been negotiated through parliament. But the Tory right are not remotely interested in that. They want the ability to restructure the UK economy more closely aligned with the US free market model.

I really am tired of listening to Tory MPs like Gove and Raab repeating ad nauseum that most MPs elected to this Parliament were elected on a  manifesto to deliver Brexit so it should have been delivered by now. 

The indicative vote sessions back in March (?) provided an opportunity for all MP's to achieve one Leave option.

It was farce fiasco feck-up. 

HOLA4410
18 minutes ago, wish I could afford one said:

Can you name one where it works well?  Genuinely not challenging but just trying to understand some examples.

Again, I like your aspiration but my experience is that generally mankind is not very nice to each other and has been like that forever.

I'm not an expert but Switzerland springs to mind.

And i agree with your mankind comment, which is an argument against open borders/FOM/Empires

HOLA4411
14 minutes ago, wish I could afford one said:

Agree with all of this.  Given the 48/52 split some sort of EEA/EFTA with a sensible discussion over how to deal with the RoI/NI border would have had one I would think.  Maybe even a little more Brexit would have passed.

I'm a remainer and I would have accepted this.  What I do not accept is the ERG/Brexit party type Brexit even though both are a Brexit.

+1 Flexcit fan :)

HOLA4412
12 minutes ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

… Brexit barter world?

Many different types of money.....many different ways of saving money, spending less and wasting money you haven't got, or feel have now got less of, paying/working more for......or need and want to use it in a better more productive way......force changes on people people will make big changes to compensate, not all will be economically friendly....?

HOLA4413
19 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

So you don’t think England and Scotland should be part of a political union?

I understand you have wet dreams thinking about splitting the UK up, and its a separate issue but i will address.

The UK has been around a very long time and I think it works fairly well especially seeing as we share an Island < very important aspect that is also a big part of Brexit (and Irish issues). But i am also very happy to listen to parts of the UK that want to separate.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
2 minutes ago, allfiredup said:

I understand you have wet dreams thinking about splitting the UK up, and its a separate issue but i will address.

The UK has been around a very long time and I think it works fairly well especially seeing as we share an Island < very important aspect that is also a big part of Brexit (and Irish issues). But i am also very happy to listen to parts of the UK that want to separate.

Do you ever travel outside your box??

HOLA4416
7 minutes ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

+1 Flexcit fan :)

I think that makes 6 of us on board now. ? Only a few million to go...

We could have started with that and seen how we got on.  With time we could have gone in either direction.  I believe Switzerland did something similar.  They started out in EEA/EFTA (may have even been founding members) but through a referendum left the EEA.

HOLA4417
10 minutes ago, wish I could afford one said:

My recollection is that the LibDems didn't have anything at all to do with starting this.  Happy to be proved wrong though...  Sure they have gained from it but that's just come out in the process.

LibDems were in coalition with the blues for five years but that wasn't my point.

It is all about the people. 

All political parties must adapt to survive based on the UK voter base and their parliamentary performance.

What happened at the end of March?

image.png.b9983d06198071fa8a0855d8569ab186.png

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, wish I could afford one said:

Whether we like it or not the world is not a fluffy place and countries need to form pacts with other countries hopefully in alignment with there values.  Today we have the US group, the EU group, the Russia group and a China group as the majors.  Which group do you want to align with? 

The problem is, we have two groups we have so much in common with it is very tough to decide.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
12 minutes ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

The indicative vote sessions back in March (?) provided an opportunity for all MP's to achieve one Leave option.

It was farce fiasco feck-up. 

They did pass the Brady amendment. The removal of the backstop in the proposed deal is important for some MPs.

But a CU came close too in the indicative round - by three votes, I think.

And thanks to the Letwin amendment, MPs are now under no pressure to side either way with the Boris deal. They can chop and change the bill as much as they want and not worry about leaving until next year. There's already a lot of talk about a CU amendment to the WAB this week. I imagine the DUP would vote for it, and quite a few of the Labour rebels.

If that happens, we're back to the old GE will they, won't they...

HOLA4422
1 minute ago, prozac said:

The problem is, we have two groups we have so much in common with it is very tough to decide.

When we boil it down to values I wonder if we really do.  I've seen how easy it is for a person to have their life destroyed in the US via something as simple as an injury.  I believe there should be safety net.  I've seen the job expectations espoused by US corporations.  Life should be about more than selling your soul to a corporation.  I believe we have a climate emergency so can't support the US model of just consume it all without thinking of alternatives. 

Of course our current approach causes other problems which I'm not supporting or hiding from.  I'm just saying if I was asked to go with the EU or US model with what i know today I'd pick the EU every time.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
10 minutes ago, thehowler said:

They did pass the Brady amendment. The removal of the backstop in the proposed deal is important for some MPs.

But a CU came close too in the indicative round - by three votes, I think.

And thanks to the Letwin amendment, MPs are now under no pressure to side either way with the Boris deal. They can chop and change the bill as much as they want and not worry about leaving until next year. There's already a lot of talk about a CU amendment to the WAB this week. I imagine the DUP would vote for it, and quite a few of the Labour rebels.

If that happens, we're back to the old GE will they, won't they...

Next step EEA/EFTA it is...?

HOLA4425
2 minutes ago, wish I could afford one said:

When we boil it down to values I wonder if we really do.  I've seen how easy it is for a person to have their life destroyed in the US via something as simple as an injury.  I believe there should be safety net.  I've seen the job expectations espoused by US corporations.  Life should be about more than selling your soul to a corporation.  I believe we have a climate emergency so can't support the US model of just consume it all without thinking of alternatives. 

Of course our current approach causes other problems which I'm not supporting or hiding from.  I'm just saying if I was asked to go with the EU or US model with what i know today I'd pick the EU every time.

And i'd pick the UK model