House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
36 minutes ago, FANG said:

I thought he was. 

Boris's gamble is paying off as Tory lead over Labour nearly DOUBLES in three weeks

Yeah, but look at the Lib Dem’s and think about the SNP. The Tories will lose at least 30 seats from the current position.

HOLA442
2 minutes ago, FANG said:

Not from the comments that I am reading.

Johnson has done more in 3 weeks than what was accomplished in 3 years.

if the Queen is backing him then its gonna happen.

It’s straight into a confidence vote now, and he’ll lose. 

HOLA443
HOLA444

Boris Johnson has revealed he had ambitions of becoming a rock star. But he quickly realised he wasn't cut out for it and turned his attention to becoming a supermarket tycoon, then a kitchen tile designer.

'I briefly thought I could be a musician, a rock star, but that didn't get very far.'

17883318-7411853-image-a-4_1567184144469

Daily Mail

It looks like his Brexit handling so far.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

It’s straight into a confidence vote now, and he’ll lose. 

After losing a confidence vote, the polls suggest a GE victory for Boris with the naughty MPs booted out of the party.

Corbyn knows that the Tory MPS he needs will be thinking "If I do this, I may lose my seat", and he knows he will lose.

Corbyn has been outplayed and every MP knows it. His "Wait and see, lets hope for a revolution and encourage Scotland to leave" approach now shows him as ineffectual, weak and a strategical failure. This wil be explioted in the GE to great effect. 

Edited by rockerboy

HOLA448
56 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Yeah, but look at the Lib Dem’s and think about the SNP. The Tories will lose at least 30 seats from the current position.

Agreed, the current polls are not good for the Conservatives. In a GE the Lib Dems will take back SW England and will capture many of the towns surrounding London while Labour will take the edges of London (including potentially Boris' own seat). In Scotland the Tories will lose seats to the SNP. In Lab-Con marginals in the midlands and north of England the Tories will lose more votes to BP than Labour will lose to BP handing seats to Labour. (All of the data show that BP voters are disaffected ex-Tory voters - how do people still not get this?)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
5 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

They really don't though. Boris would probably struggle to hold his own seat.

Vote intention     https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/08/30/voting-intention-con-33-lab-22-lib-dem-21-brex-12-

Boris    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Boris_Johnson

Corbyn     https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Jeremy_Corbyn

Edited by rockerboy

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
1 minute ago, rockerboy said:

I remember in 2017 when the polls were putting Labour 20 points behind the Tories and predicting a 100 seat majority for May. In reality Labour finished 2 points behind and gained 30 seats, the Tories lost 30 seats and May had to go begging to Arlene Foster.

HOLA4413
5 minutes ago, moneyfornothing said:

London is not the UK..

You're right, London is not the UK, but there are an awful lot of seats south of the Severn-Wash line which were traditionally where most Tory MPs come from but which can no longer be relied on. If the Tories lose seats there where do they gain them?

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
9 hours ago, IMHAL said:

Good man. The referendum, at its core, was about making 'our representative democracy' supreme. After all, our representatives where given the job of dealing with brexit, and now, they are being prevented from doing so.

What is not in doubt is that they are conflicted. That has to be recognised. However, bypassing them by preventing a natural conclusion is a serous mistake. There is no mandate to bypass our representative democracy, quite the opposite.

I personally am in a lot of conflict by it. Because I’ve seen three years of obfuscation by politicians to compromise and work toward a brexit solution. So find it quite attractive that Boris is crushing it to deliver our mandate. Is it right? None of it is right. But at this stage the end justifies the means.

8 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

Have you not figured out that there is no moving on?  If we leave, we’ll still be dealing with the consequences for a decade and the trade negotiations will be at least as fractious as what we’ve seen so far.  If we don’t leave, we’ll have to deal with the fallout from that too.  I can’t see any way out that doesn’t involve the UK breaking up.

I think the UK breaking up is unlikely, although NI may go. That was always going to happen eventually.

HOLA4416
5 minutes ago, moneyfornothing said:

The bias is strong ... Boris is up against this guy ... he’ll be lucky not to lose his deposit 

https://order-order.com/2019/08/30/labours-ali-milani-likes-another-9-11-conspiracy/

You do get that Boris represents a London seat? You said it yourself, London is not the UK. Lib-Lab pact = bye bye Boris for sure, but Labour could probably win it without one.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
10 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

I remember in 2017 when the polls were putting Labour 20 points behind the Tories and predicting a 100 seat majority for May. In reality Labour finished 2 points behind and gained 30 seats, the Tories lost 30 seats and May had to go begging to Arlene Foster.

Would They be the same type of polls that show that people have changed their mind about Brexit?

HOLA4420
5 minutes ago, crouch said:

Would They be the same type of polls that show that people have changed their mind about Brexit?

Almost all opinion polls about Brexit are worthless because they don't ask about end states and don't let voters rank by preference. Somebody's first choice might be to remain in the EU but they could happily live with EFTA, equally their first choice might be to leave but only with a deal, all of this politically important detail is lost in most polling.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA4421
32 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Agreed, the current polls are not good for the Conservatives. In a GE the Lib Dems will take back SW England and will capture many of the towns surrounding London while Labour will take the edges of London (including potentially Boris' own seat). In Scotland the Tories will lose seats to the SNP. In Lab-Con marginals in the midlands and north of England the Tories will lose more votes to BP than Labour will lose to BP handing seats to Labour. (All of the data show that BP voters are disaffected ex-Tory voters - how do people still not get this?)

I disagree with your analysis, Tories will do far better In a GE imho.

HOLA4422
13 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

I personally am in a lot of conflict by it. Because I’ve seen three years of obfuscation by politicians to compromise and work toward a brexit solution. So find it quite attractive that Boris is crushing it to deliver our mandate. Is it right? None of it is right. But at this stage the end justifies the means.

I think the UK breaking up is unlikely, although NI may go. That was always going to happen eventually.

But you would say that.  

I could said 'revoke article 50' - the end justify the means, but I won't because unlike yourself, I wish for a democratic outcome (ie one that satisifes a majority). Clearly and repeatedly you have madde it apparent that you don't. Sad.

HOLA4423
10 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Almost all opinion polls about Brexit are worthless because they don't ask about end states and don't let voters rank by preference. Somebody's first choice might be to remain in the EU but they could happily live with EFTA, equally their first choice might be to leave but only with a deal, all of this politically important detail is lost in most polling.

So, if polls are worthless then so is the assertion that people have changed their minds about Brexit?

HOLA4424
3 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

I disagree with your analysis, Tories will do far better In a GE imho.

The other thing I suspect the polls are missing is turnout. Traditional Tory voters (mostly older) have been very good at turning out but in recent decades the more liberal-left younger voters have been lazy. The Tories can't boost turnout of their vote much because it's already close to maximum but Lab+LD can gain a lot of votes without poll ratings moving at all just by their vote being excited, which they probably are at the moment.

HOLA4425
8 minutes ago, crouch said:

So, if polls are worthless then so is the assertion that people have changed their minds about Brexit?

People can assert whatever they want but I don't think the data is there really.

This kind of thing is more meaningful than asking Leave vs Remain but still not great as no ranking of preferences:

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/policy-institute/research-analysis/what-sort-of-brexit-do-the-british-people-want-2018

Screen Shot 2018 10 08 at 15.46.50

Edited by Dorkins