House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
10 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

Much has changed in education and the NHS. It's a good but complex question. You would probably need to do your own research on that and even then I suspect you will not get an unbiased view from the many sources that must be available.

We won't be able to find out on Google that is for sure.

NHS hospital beds -half the number for double the spend.  Someone has got this money but they won't tell you who.

HOLA442
3 hours ago, zugzwang said:

It's morning again in Great Britain.

Nobody mention ten years of austerity or the £2 trillion national debt.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/22/boris-johnson-prepared-turn-spending-taps-tax-break-help-squeezed/

"It's morning again in Great Britain."

Dunkin' Donuts just used that exact phrase talking to Jeremy Vine. ?

HOLA443
8 minutes ago, kzb said:

NHS hospital beds -half the number for double the spend.  Someone has got this money but they won't tell you who.

NHS spending is probably the more complicated one because medicine always advances, which will keep pushing the costs up, both directly for new treatments and with keeping people going for longer. There can never be as much money for medicine as it would ideally want - but that shouldn't be used to mask asking the question about whether the basics have unjustifiably risen in cost too. I'm rather less persuaded that we've got anything out of increased education spending although admittedly that is from subjective casual opinion.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
45 minutes ago, kzb said:

Fraud, waste, management salaries, backhanders, etc. Advances in science and technology makes things cheaper, and that includes health care.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
1 minute ago, Captain Kirk said:

Fraud, waste, management salaries, backhanders, etc. Advances in science and technology makes things cheaper, and that includes health care.

Makes the existing things cheaper, the new ones are ever more complicated and expensive.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
25 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

You seem happy, you have a "can do" leader....

I look forward to seeing the buffoon get his comeuppance at the hands of the grownups in the EU leadership...

6f2r7Ty.jpg

Yep.... this is going to be pure comedy gold.

Boris: You need us more than we need you. 

EU: Feck off

Boris: We will hard Brexit and blow our own brainz out, if, if, if you don't give us, erm, yes, what we want.

EU: Feck off

Boris: We shall feck off and see if we don't

EU: Ok. Be a good bambino and Feck off now

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
4 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Makes the existing things cheaper, the new ones are ever more complicated and expensive.

Progress is like that.

In all I'd say our school and NHS services are better than 30 years ago. The NHS used to have a death list instead of a waiting list because it was so long. I am a governor at a primary school and I can say that the quality of teaching that the kids receive is far far better than that which I had, admittedly that was over 40 years ago.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
1 minute ago, Riedquat said:

Well, new technology is always more expensive and more complex, but in general people should get more health care for their money as science and technology advances.

HOLA4422
8 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I'm pleased that he will be PM and look forward to seeing him fail, the country deserves him.

The part of the country that wants to be overprotected, over-nannied and generally treated like children, or the part that wants to grow up and look after itself whilst still being fully engaged with others? May was certainly there for the former.

HOLA4423
1 minute ago, Captain Kirk said:

Well, new technology is always more expensive and more complex, but in general people should get more health care for their money as science and technology advances.

Right, but it's also a game of diminishing returns (the humble bar of soap has probably saved more lives than any future development will, unless the secret to immortality is found), and also masks the question about whether the costs of the also still needed basics have increased for no gain.

Edited by Riedquat

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
4 hours ago, crouch said:

What the table says is that the "static" costs - the membership fee plus the static costs are 1.75% of GDP, a substantial figure.

However, as the White Paper on EEC entry published in 1970 said, it is the dynamic effects that are difficult to quantify because these rely on the evolution of changed circumstances and the reaction of economic actors to those changed circumstances.

This paper tries to estimate both costs and benefits, very badly btw.

Edited by slawek