House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
3 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

More JOs for Leeds then.

I am not sure broadcasting is a good future-proof trade any more. Although Channel 4 is doing OK at the moment, many aren't. Like everything it's getting tougher.

Cats rule.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
46 minutes ago, copydude said:

I think we know how that would go.

GE versus Farage and Conservatives get 26 seats.

Everything is pointing to what I suggested - labour today trying to prevent the possibility of no deal (even though no deal wouldn't happen anyway). Juncker stating again today that the withdrawal agreement is not up for negotiation (he knows UK wouldn't allow no deal). Johnson, in a few months time, will have to say "with a heavy heart, with much regret, we have to have another referendum". There is no other way.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
1 minute ago, GrizzlyDave said:

We can send Michael Gove’a department there!

A little further I hope. Send the whole fecking lot, all 650 of them, to the seas beyond Land's End and cast them adrift with an arrow to the White House for navigation.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
6 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

The south’s loss is the north’s gain.

The problem is that your Brexit government has different plans - obviously.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservative-brexit-funding-regions-tory-leadership-contest-structural-funds-a8952186.html

And there I was thinking there was a huge pot of gold waiting for us after Brexit. I must try and believe harder.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Damn, Labour seeking to pass a new law to prevent a Tory PM proroguing Parliament to force a no deal Brexit on August 31st.

I was hoping that McVey, or another loopy prime ministerial hopeful, would get elected and try just that before being stopped in their tracks by Parliament thus forcing the revocation of A50 and a general election.

Labour shooting themselves in the foot again :(, they should've kept their powder dry.

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Yes I do think it would be value adding to Leeds. A bunch of whole new businesses can be started to support the fresh money and customer base.

Some of these emloyees May leave and set up tgeir own businesses, but now in Leeds rather than London; so that’s more jobs and more opportunity.

How the feck do places like Rotherham get better unless we make strategic investment in them. That’s people, businesses, money, government. The whole package.

By supporting them getting better themselves rather than moving people up. A load of new jobs does nothing meaningful for a place unless they're available for the people who live there - they're the ones who need them, they don't need lots of incomers driving up house prices. Opportunities are needed for the people already living there. They don't need turning into another overcrowded London.

HOLA4419
26 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

It depends entirely on your lifestyle.  It could easily be more expensive for a given person to relocate from London to Leeds.

Agree, apart from cost of housing London is so much cheaper to live day to day than very many other places in the UK......stamp duty could be the only major outlay if sideways moving.....London better value for council tax same bands, water rates, food, eating out if you pick your places carefully....transport and utilities both a better price and better quality service......more competition for those living in London.....more people to share the costs with, much of the entertainment is available for free including a free freedom pass from age 60.;)

HOLA4420
9 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Damn, Labour seeking to pass a new law to prevent a Tory PM proroguing Parliament to force a no deal Brexit on August 31st.

I was hoping that McVey, or another loopy prime ministerial hopeful, would get elected and try just that before being stopped in their tracks by Parliament thus forcing the revocation of A50 and a general election.

Labour shooting themselves in the foot again :(, they should've kept their powder dry.

Agree.

HOLA4421
5 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

By supporting them getting better themselves rather than moving people up. A load of new jobs does nothing meaningful for a place unless they're available for the people who live there - they're the ones who need them, they don't need lots of incomers driving up house prices. Opportunities are needed for the people already living there. They don't need turning into another overcrowded London.

There is s risk of ‘colonisation’ but done well moves like this can have a positives ripple effect for the whole area.

If the impact is too big for Leeds they could set up a C4 satellite office for senior management and Human Resources Down the road in Bolton.

HOLA4422
9 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

So you have a problem with crowded London, but you also don't want to fix this by moving jobs to other cities. So the crowds should stay in London.

Sport, you are a true conundrum. I think you just like howling at the moon.

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, thecrashingisles said:

You could try thinking for yourself, and with your previous answer you seemed to agree with my argument.  You can't look at UK institutions in isolation and therefore conclude that the courts have more power - as a member of the EU, the EU institutions themselves become part of our system of government.

I do think for myself and need no advice from you on that.

I can - and do - look at things any way I want.

HOLA4424
7 hours ago, crouch said:

The "decades of misery" is a giant presumption. Most unlikely.

To begin with there is not much "might" about it. By common consent the Euro is unsustainable without a fiscal and banking union and you will not get that because if you get that you are getting very close to a federal state. Germany is already on the hook for Euros 1 tn under the Target 2 regime and most consider this uncollectable. The average German will not be best pleased when he is acquainted with this fact.

But the main reason is the monumental irresponsibility of even starting such a project, knowing full well that it is fundamentally flawed, taking a huge risk with many peoples livelihoods. 

Sorry I meant going by the Ivan Rogers video you referenced. I'm just agog you've rationalised to yourself that a lost decade(s) is OK compared to it 'all being a disaster' I mean when did that bombshell become a Leave vote winner lol ?

Ditto with the funny myopia of "monumental irresponsibility of ...taking a huge risk with many peoples livelihoods".

If the Eurozone fails, of what benefit is Brexit to us ? Why would the 'not much "might" about' the UK breaking up be worth it ?

HOLA4425