House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
24 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I've never thought of myself as being "galactically idiotic", but maybe I am because I can see a big advantage in joining the Euro and that is our "galactically idiotic" governments would find it more difficult to blow asset bubbles without a currency and a central bank to play "galactically idiotic" games with and this website might never have needed to exist.

The ECB has rates at zero and has done 2.5Tr euro of QE. They were just last to the party. The Euro is not safe from central bank manipulation. It's backed by the same as the rest of them, i.e. nothing.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
10 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

The ECB has rates at zero and has done 2.5Tr euro of QE. They were just last to the party. The Euro is not safe from central bank manipulation. It's backed by the same as the rest of them, i.e. nothing.

But, crucially, it can't be manipulated by individual states to blow localised asset bubbles.

HOLA445
30 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

As I said, all of them. Also your shopping list of freebies from the EU are not free. Someone has to pay.

Plus I've never had a problem with roaming charges, although I hardly travel to Europe, mostly US and Asia.

Roaming charges are a problem for me. Price in Japan is ridiculous. 

Once I was transferring at Seoul Incheon and went on the WiFi. The signal must have dropped because I'd had the briefest of flicks through Facebook when I received a £20 data usage warning. An expensive error.

I've just checked my data plan - Japan costs  £9.60 per MB. 

If you're going over for the RWC, plan ahead. There's hardly any WiFi in Japan either. 

But in Europe we do not have these rip-off charges. 

HOLA446
2 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

But, crucially, it can't be manipulated by individual states to blow localised asset bubbles.

Yes, there is that, but having a fixed interest rate across all states acts as a straight-jacket for southern state economies.

That is why I've always argued that the free market should set rates.

HOLA447
  44 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

As I said, all of them

When you say "all of them", is there any in particular that you would not want grandfathered into UK law in some way or other? And stopping rip-off charges from mobile phone companies does not have to be paid for elsewhere. 

A lot of the EU laws are heavily influenced by Britain anyway. Our were. It was good to see overseas countries relying on us to help then create their legal framework - I think of financial regulation in particular. 

Edited by Ah-so

HOLA448
4 minutes ago, Ah-so said:

Roaming charges are a problem for me. Price in Japan is ridiculous. 

Once I was transferring at Seoul Incheon and went on the WiFi. The signal must have dropped because I'd had the briefest of flicks through Facebook when I received a £20 data usage warning. An expensive error.

I've just checked my data plan - Japan costs  £9.60 per MB. 

If you're going over for the RWC, plan ahead. There's hardly any WiFi in Japan either. 

But in Europe we do not have these rip-off charges. 

True, you have to be careful, I agree. My partner is Asian so I've always been aware of it, but I do remember getting a few large bills years ago.

Roaming charges are a rip off I agree, but I did read somewhere that mobile phone companies said they wouldn't reintroduce them after Brexit.

HOLA449
1 hour ago, yelims said:

Take back control of your bonner

The UK Government under May was always going to be more authoritarian than the EU.

That said, i’m not quite sure what that rule is about. Surely VPNs and Cryptocurrency would defeat such an attempt.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
20 minutes ago, Ah-so said:
  44 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

As I said, all of them

When you say "all of them", is there any in particular that you would not want grandfathered into UK law in some way or other? And stopping rip-off charges from mobile phone companies does not have to be paid for elsewhere. 

A lot of the EU laws are heavily influenced by Britain anyway. Our were. It was good to see overseas countries relying on us to help then create their legal framework - I think of financial regulation in particular. 

I did point out the cookie consent law or whatever it was called. I'm not sure I agree with GDPR also, and the new copyright directive looks a bit worrying.

I don't think we should be legislating for the sake of it. There are a lot of problems with the internet I agree, but none of this legislation even touches upon the problems. The problems aren't cookies, privacy and copyright, which are all covered by existing laws.

Edited by Captain Kirk

HOLA4412
8 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

Dominic Grieve is in trouble...

When the Tories next lose a general election the party will go into full civil war, my guess is it will have to split. Hard to imagine Tory leavers and remainers coexisting in the same party after this. Proportional representation is desperately needed.

HOLA4413

Not that long ago £1 per minute to make a call, not that much less to receive a call.....now it is 8p a minute to make a call, free to receive a call.......it is not only phones, it will be car hire and insurances, bringing in goods from Europe etc.... a hard brexit crash takes away freedom to move and choices for many people.....I don't think it will be a hard brexit, it will be a halfway house, to represent the views of the people.......a new bespoke deal.....;)

HOLA4414
4 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

When the Tories next lose a general election the party will go into full civil war, my guess is it will have to split. Hard to imagine Tory leavers and remainers coexisting in the same party after this. Proportional representation is desperately needed.

I think there will be big changes in the next general election.....there has to be.....;)

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, Ah-so said:

Mobile roaming free of charge while in Europe - damn good. That'll probably go. I'm surprised that that wasn't mentioned more during the campaign. People might have thought twice if they undersood that they might not be able to get Internet while on the beach in Spain. 

The European Health Card also good. Some of our older holiday makers may find that travel insurance now costs more than the holiday itself. Another thing that may have led then to think twice. 

This post says it all.

If you don't get why, you are a remainer.

If you do, you are a leaver.

HOLA4416
17 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

The UK Government under May was always going to be more authoritarian than the EU.

That said, i’m not quite sure what that rule is about. Surely VPNs and Cryptocurrency would defeat such an attempt.

Well exactly. None of this legislation is enforceable.

The only people or businesses conforming will be law abiding ones.

HOLA4417
59 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

No , individual states can't blow their own asset bubbles (which their electorate vote for), instead localised asset bubbles are IMPOSED on them by the EU to please moribund EU economies and those in financial crisis. This is why the Bundesbank has been at loggerheads with EU QE:

The European Central Bank plans to resume buying the bonds of crisis-hit countries on a large scale. Jens Weidmann, head of the German central bank, is firmly opposed to the idea, arguing that it will lead to inflation and lessen pressure on governments to carry out reforms. But he is becoming increasingly isolated within the ECB and in the political world. - Spiegel

In this country, our Bank is supposed to be independent, but has recently, under the leadership of a Canadian, succumbed to doing the executives bidding. This should be an aberation.

In europe, central banks like the Bundesbank have even less chance of being independent and will increasingly become irrelevant as the ECB conducts the EU 27's political agenda. The fact that Germany had zirp effectively forced on it along with Greece (which needed it) tells you all you need to know.

I thought everybody understood this.

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA4418
28 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

When the Tories next lose a general election the party will go into full civil war, my guess is it will have to split. Hard to imagine Tory leavers and remainers coexisting in the same party after this.

Labour, similar, only diff is civil war has already begun, hence TIGGERs. Corbyn won't even share a room with Chucky. How much more split can you get? Diff is, Labour are hijacked by marxists. Couple of pics with Corby glad-handing Modura should have anyone with 20p in the bank / dreams of having 20p in the bank giving his crowd a wide birth.

HOLA4419
15 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

This post says it all.

If you don't get why, you are a remainer.

If you do, you are a leaver.

You'd have to explain a little more what you are getting at. 

I was pointing out that the the typical leave voter  (the poorly educated and the older) might have been swayed by these practical points had they been able to see beyond the facile slogans of the Brexiteers.

"Take back control"

- but you won't be able to roam for free in Europe

"Errr, maybe I'll vote remain after all"

HOLA4420
29 minutes ago, winkie said:

Not that long ago £1 per minute to make a call, not that much less to receive a call.....now it is 8p a minute to make a call, free to receive a call.....

Meanwhile in America, Africa, China, Japan etc, ie non-EU countries, calls are still £1 per minute, because they don't have technological progress anywhere but europe - well, that's a remainer view anyhow.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
4 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

Labour, similar, only diff is civil war has already begun, hence TIGGERs. Corbyn won't even share a room with Chucky. How much more split can you get? Diff is, Labour are hijacked by marxists. Couple of pics with Corby glad-handing Modura should have anyone with 20p in the bank / dreams of having 20p in the bank giving his crowd a wide birth.

Thing is, under the current economic system the number of people who have or expect to have 20p in the bank is falling every day, which is why Corbyn's Labour got 12.8m votes (to the Tories' 13.6m) in GE2017. Cameron managed 11.3m in 2015 and 10.7m in 2010 and Blair got 9.6m in 2005 so Corbyn is picking up very governmentable numbers.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425