House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441

https://www.consultancy.uk/news/20369/ey-europe-abandons-london-for-brussels-before-brexit

Big Four firm EY has announced that it is shifting its legal entity from London to Brussels, ahead of Britain’s exit from the European Union. The move will bring the entity in line with continental auditing rules, while shielding it from changes in the recognition of professional qualifications between the UK and EU.

Must be diesel engines too /s

Diesel means diesel!

Edited by yelims

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
30 minutes ago, crouch said:

Very interesting. I didn't realise there was so much pushing and shoving.

Can leavers please stay on topic? We know that you do not want to be challenged on all the negative Brexshit news and that you would prefer to bury your tiny heads in the sand, however this thread is purely to discuss Brexshit. If you wish to continue to deny reality and feel the need to post pretty images of aircraft or martial arts, please use the off-topic area.

HOLA445
HOLA446
8 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Can leavers please stay on topic? We know that you do not want to be challenged on all the negative Brexshit news and that you would prefer to bury your tiny heads in the sand, however this thread is purely to discuss Brexshit. If you wish to continue to deny reality and feel the need to post pretty images of aircraft or martial arts, please use the off-topic area.

Yes sir - says he standing up and saluting to not only his superior but superior intellect.

I can now go back to burying my head in the sand, sorry tiny head in the sand.

Edited by crouch

HOLA447
7 minutes ago, crouch said:

Yes sir - says he standing up and saluting to not only his superior but superior intellect.

I can now go back to burying my head in the sand, sorry tiny head in the sand.

Thank you. The diversion and obfuscation tactics of leavers in attempting to deride the topic at hand has being employed increasingly over the last few weeks as the negative news of Brexshit has exploded exponentially.

HOLA448
1 hour ago, TheBlueCat said:

All the reasons why the Honda move is nothing to do with Brexit:

- Honda say it isn't. There's no value to them in denying it if that were the case, could be quite convenient in fact.

- The EU is removing tariffs on cars imported from Japan so Honda doesn't need to run factories in the EU anymore (once Swindon is shut they will have no car assembly in Europe).

- They're refocussing on electric vehicles and closing other factories too - https://www.auto123.com/en/news/honda-closing-factory-focus-electric/64028/

Oh, and sales for them in Europe since 1990 (in 1000s):

1179848897_Screenshotfrom2019-02-1809-58-41.png.8e878a0e26bf46d36b9a18b60d0089a1.png

Not that any of these facts will get in the way for our resident die-hard remainers of course.

Their EU base in Belgium. 

Logistics and old motorcycle plant (which now makes auto parts and other bits). 

Internal rumour I've heard from those in Swindon is that they might be a new Eastern European plant in the offing. 

HOLA449
HOLA4410
18 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Their EU base in Belgium. 

Logistics and old motorcycle plant (which now makes auto parts and other bits). 

Internal rumour I've heard from those in Swindon is that they might be a new Eastern European plant in the offing. 

Makes sense to keep a base in the EU. I am waiting to hear back from my friend how all this will be affecting him. He has only ever worked in the automotive industry. 

HOLA4411
14 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Makes sense to keep a base in the EU. I am waiting to hear back from my friend how all this will be affecting him. He has only ever worked in the automotive industry. 

It's absolutely mad that we're a few weeks away from no deal and there are so many cheerleaders for it. 

This government is incompetent but they're being egged on by a lot of nutters who have absolutely no grounding as to the reality of what they're rabidly clamouring for. 

Imports more expensive. 

Exports more expensive. 

If no deal happens people will lose jobs. Others will lose their lives (if various medicines aren't forthcoming etc). 

When I voted Leave I voted thinking there was a competent workable plan. There plainly isn't outside of La La Land at the moment. 

HOLA4412
2 minutes ago, byron78 said:

It's absolutely mad that we're a few weeks away from no deal and there are so many cheerleaders for it. 

This government is incompetent but they're being egged on by a lot of nutters who have absolutely no grounding as to the reality of what they're rabidly clamouring for. 

Imports more expensive. 

Exports more expensive. 

If no deal happens people will lose jobs. Others will lose their lives (if various medicines aren't forthcoming etc). 

When I voted Leave I voted thinking there was a competent workable plan. There plainly isn't outside of La La Land at the moment. 

There was, and it was readily acknowledged by Cummings and Banks in particular (at the time)...

Edited by Dave Beans

HOLA4413
6 minutes ago, smash said:

Shipping motors from Japan must add a burdensome cost, BMW and Mercedes have plants in the US I believe. Surely Japanese manufacturers wouldn't rule out having plants in a large market like Europe.

The "wonderfully honourable' Japanese are only saying they intend moving production to Japan in the press release.

Where do Japanese companies make their products? My various Nikon cameras and lenses are made in Malaysia, China, Indonesia, Taiwan . . .  Anywhere but Japan. Stuff the Japanese.

Shipping products is a pain? Where is your Sony audio stuff made, your TV, your Honda scooter. Where is your iPhone made or your gen-yoo-ine Levi red tab T-shirt? Or your all-American Fender guitar?  (Mexico and Korea)

By anywhere that tolerates and exploits slave labour. 

HOLA4414

Imports more expensive. 

Exports more expensive. 

We can only hope that the negative consequences of no deal brexit (or even a hard brexit) will push the sane Tory MP's to change course and rule out no deal / hard brexit.   The end of UK Honda car manufacturing will likely give them a big push in that direction.  So as bad as it is at least its happened now before brexit rather than after when its too late, so we can at least try to limit the damage.   The grifters and lying scum types like Rees-Mogg, Johnson, Tomlinson (Tory Swindon MP), won't change course of course, but we don't need them to.

HOLA4415
10 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Imports more expensive. 

Exports more expensive. 

Yes I have a family member currently fighting cancer and going through chemo. We are all concerned that her treatment is not delayed in any manner. 

HOLA4416
7 minutes ago, copydude said:

The "wonderfully honourable' Japanese are only saying they intend moving production to Japan in the press release.

Where do Japanese companies make their products? My various Nikon cameras and lenses are made in Malaysia, China, Indonesia, Taiwan . . .  Anywhere but Japan. Stuff the Japanese.

Shipping products is a pain? Where is your Sony audio stuff made, your TV, your Honda scooter. Where is your iPhone made or your gen-yoo-ine Levi red tab T-shirt? Or your all-American Fender guitar?  (Mexico and Korea)

By anywhere that tolerates and exploits slave labour. 

They couldn't do that, as the likes of Indonesia do not have a FTA with the EU which hamonises car standards..

HOLA4417
3 hours ago, crouch said:

Right, so the local MP who says he's spoken to Honda and the minister  is a lying scumbag whereas you have the definitive truth of the matter. Forgive me if I pause here.

Can you provide any proof of what you say? If you are 100% certain this must mean that you have intimate knowledge about the decision process in Honda and I'd be very interested to hear about this.

He is a lying scumbag though.

DztBUf7WkAAeGfO.jpg:large

HOLA4418
3 hours ago, crouch said:

Right, so the local MP who says he's spoken to Honda and the minister  is a lying scumbag whereas you have the definitive truth of the matter. Forgive me if I pause here.

Can you provide any proof of what you say? If you are 100% certain this must mean that you have intimate knowledge about the decision process in Honda and I'd be very interested to hear about this.

He is a lying scumbag though.

DztBUf7WkAAeGfO.jpg:large

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
28 minutes ago, Lurkerbelow said:

We can only hope that the negative consequences of no deal brexit (or even a hard brexit) will push the sane Tory MP's to change course and rule out no deal / hard brexit.   The end of UK Honda car manufacturing will likely give them a big push in that direction.  So as bad as it is at least its happened now before brexit rather than after when its too late, so we can at least try to limit the damage.   The grifters and lying scum types like Rees-Mogg, Johnson, Tomlinson (Tory Swindon MP), won't change course of course, but we don't need them to.

I *think* you're probably right. 

I hope you are. 

But I feel like more Leavers need to own this mess (like I'm trying to!) We've blamed all and sundry for it (remoaners, Brexit too soft/Brexit too hard etc etc). The fact is I'm starting to think an issue as complex as this was well beyond me if I'm honest. I'm not bright. But I'm brighter than my poor nephew in Swindon who's losing his job...

HOLA4423
3 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

It looks pretty cool but it is a near 10yr old demonstrator that so far hasn't been followed up on. Although I think it was planned that some of its tech was going to be used in later versions of the nEUROn (which also looks pretty cool).  I have no idea whether this will go ahead post Brexit.       

HOLA4424
3 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Skimmed this the other day. 

I'll be honest - if I read that before the referendum I'd have voted Remain. 

Essentially "there can't be a plan because there are too many variables and it's complicated". No shit Sherlock. 

HOLA4425

Skimmed this the other day. 

I'll be honest - if I read that before the referendum I'd have voted Remain. 

Essentially "there can't be a plan because there are too many variables and it's complicated". No shit Sherlock. 

If the UK had got its act together, we'd be well on the way of creating a proper two speed Europe...Now there's a squabble just over the divorce, then I have doubts that this will ever come to fruition...

Edited by Dave Beans