House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
40 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Unreliable partner....??? because the Europeans have taken advantage and taken for granted US protection for decades whilst underfunding on their own defence and instead funding generous welfare programmes that US tax payers can only dream of...little wonder the US are sick of it and raising concerns.

Europe spends plenty on defence just not very effectively. 

The US defense spending is intended to intimidate others, probably not a road we need to go down. The US has plenty of money available to more than match Europe's welfare programmes but that's not a road they want to go down.

HOLA443
HOLA444
1 hour ago, btl_hater said:

I was also thinking this. GD comes across as a weirdo.

Charming!

1 hour ago, slawek said:

You know even less, stuck in your archaic, we vs them.   

I’m a patriot.

34 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Yes it could have been put better, but it followed on from other comments about the need not to leave Europe's defence to the USA and just about everyone apart from Trump knew what he meant. 

I think Macron deserved it. For years European NATO members have failed to meet their obligations. So America has picked up the tab. So Uncle Sam has paid the tab and you are calling it a threat that the cash cow is getting irritated. Sounds like a spoilt child behaviour.

27 minutes ago, DarkHorseWaits-NoMore said:

Hmm, times have changed. Since WWII, on a statistical basis, you are far FAR more likely to be bombed or invaded by US troops (or by a US backed proxy) than any other nation on the planet. A sad but factual reality that Macron and Merkel are forced to recognise.

Which countries should America not have invaded?

Edited by GrizzlyDave

HOLA445
HOLA446
41 minutes ago, wish I could afford one said:

I don't understand how the DUP could be unhappy though...  Under this doesn't NI benefit from being the only place with frictionless access to the EU and UK markets.  Couldn't that give them the opportunity to attract industry from both the EU and UK where both markets are sold into?  NI the global industrial power house...

Yes, they would get the fantasy Brexit we cannot have. Can only assume the DUP see a richer NI able to stand on its own two feet as more likely to vote for reunifications.

HOLA447
23 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

True. I've sometimes wondered if it wasn't a deliberate strategy to let the bile spill out on this thread so it doesn't end up on the rest of the main forum.

Possibly also the fact that it must be boosting HPC's click count considerably, some days it must account for more than half the posts on here.

HOLA448
11 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

I think Macron deserved it. For years European NATO members have failed to meet their obligations. So America has picked up the tab. So Uncle Sam has paid the tab and you are calling it a threat that the cash cow is getting irritated. Sounds like a spoilt child behaviour.

Which countries should America not have invaded?

What tab, America spends as much as it does on defense for its own purposes not to defend Europe and there never was a NATO obligation. 

Anyway Macron is actually proposing something that would enable Europe to defend itself more effectively without diverting massive sums to defence, yet you seem to be against it.

We should collaborate more on defence, and especially defense programs. If the UK and France could have overcome all the parochial VI's we could now be sharing three proper Aircraft Carriers (1 UK 1 French and 1 jointly in reserve) with catapults and able to fly each others aircraft off.     

HOLA449
3 hours ago, thehowler said:

Been chatting with Tony B?

They've caved on the backstop, I imagine (not seen the doc yet, I stand corrected there on MPs stopping it) but that's our fault if we can't devise a working FTA in the interim - little chance of that, of course, but not the EU/27s fault.

Regs alignment/state aid etc doesn't bother me that much, imagine Corbyn won't like it. The govt minister on Poltics Live today was saying we'd get frictionless, can't see how that's possible, but is it in there, Ghost of Chequers still groaning?

JRM has just been on Peston, he seems to have heard the similar rumours/leaks and is saying the reality is even worse than the leaks. Not sure how he came to that conclusion so quickly but the tide seems to be running against May at the moment.

Several avid Brexiters have now said that they would rather Remain than accept this deal, looks like this could be heading for a high stakes  Remain or No Deal ending.   

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

One of the standard-bearers for the BREXITeers on Newsnight, has just said he'd take remaining in the EU to May's deal. :D This time next year Rodney, we'll be in the EU.....

Oh, and this for some posters outside London.

Irish passport application: How to apply for an Irish passport in the UK and are you eligible after Brexit?

The Evening Standard. Editor, one George Osborne.  Timing's good Gidders!!! :lol:

HOLA4413
2 minutes ago, ZeroSumGame said:

One of the standard-bearers for the BREXITeers on Newsnight, has just said he'd take remaining in the EU to May's deal. :D This time next year Rodney, we'll be in the EU.....

Oh, and this for some posters outside London.

The Evening Standard. Editor, one George Osborne.  Timing's good Gidders!!! :lol:

I'm after an EU passport but have no parents/grandparents from Ireland. what are my options?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Just reading the last dozen pages of this thread as someone that is as probably as indifferent to staying or leaving the EU as you can get, I can see positives and negatives in both. But just like the rest of the UK it is troubling to see how divided and angry the UK has become on here, the venom, manipulation and lies, equally on both sides I might add and where millions of people have their own little agenda where they are rigid in their own little mantras and God help anyone that dare question it

This country is in big trouble

HOLA4421
7 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

What tab, America spends as much as it does on defense for its own purposes not to defend Europe and there never was a NATO obligation. 

Anyway Macron is actually proposing something that would enable Europe to defend itself more effectively without diverting massive sums to defence, yet you seem to be against it.

We should collaborate more on defence, and especially defense programs. If the UK and France could have overcome all the parochial VI's we could now be sharing three proper Aircraft Carriers (1 UK 1 French and 1 jointly in reserve) with catapults and able to fly each others aircraft off.     

Im sure the US is delighted that Europe wants to take more responsibility for its defence. But it is the way and manner Macron and Merkel have gone about it. Very insulting to the USA.

HOLA4422
52 minutes ago, localhero1983 said:

Just reading the last dozen pages of this thread as someone that is as probably as indifferent to staying or leaving the EU as you can get, I can see positives and negatives in both. But just like the rest of the UK it is troubling to see how divided and angry the UK has become on here, the venom, manipulation and lies, equally on both sides I might add and where millions of people have their own little agenda where they are rigid in their own little mantras and God help anyone that dare question it

This country is in big trouble

I'm interested in the psychology of Brexit. Now, before anyone says "there is no psychology in Brexit" I would ask them is there "no psychology" in any human relation? I believe that the problem with the European Union is that it has a symbolic quality of a large collection of others. Taking a simplistic Freudianism - the idea that people are emotively driven by things they are unaware of, we could infer that this symbolic quality has been hijacked by interests. Secretly we would all like to be individuals but at the same time we genuinely secretly harbour our emotions whilst being buffeted by the waves in the port of our own experience. The symbolic quality of the EU as representative of a large collection of others seamlessly dovetails into primary repressed anxiety - the impossible dream of individuality. 

HOLA4423
9 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

But it is Macron and Merkel calling for an EU army. To defend against China, Russia, and America. Seriously, WTF America. America liberated France and rebuilt Germany. It’s astounding what is being said. Truly astounding.

Except ...nobody said it. Trump made it up.

(BTW, Antibiotics were discovered in the 1920's)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425