House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
Just now, highYield said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33512241

You can see the rope in a museum in Zermatt, and try to guess if it was cut, or broke, yourself.

And mountain climbing wasn't a British thing, and it's patently insane to think otherwise, given we have about 3 small, in comparisons mountains.  You believe that in all the countries that have massive mountains, the locals believed that Dragons lived there, and the brave British folk climbed them and defeated the dragons?  And also, that no-one else actually tried to climb them?

Are you genuinely trying to peddle this shit?

I've got some magic beans for sale HY, not too much, just 5 figures....

I am genuinely dumbfounded by some of this

Edited by HairyOb1

HOLA442
HOLA443

I'm not an expert on the British golden age of alpinism, although I've read a few books about it, have spent a lot of time in the Swiss alps, have a lot of Swiss friends (amongst whom a couple are serious climbers). I can't climb for toffee.

To understand it, one has to understand the interactions of two groups of people: wealthy British on the grand tour (after which the Top gear spin off is named) and native Swiss alpine villagers.

At the time, Switzerland was poor. The wealthy Swiss inhabited the south facing sides of the lower valleys, where wine is grown today and it's easy to grow crops. The poorer families struggled to survive in the very high alpine villages - they basically had a few cows which they used to take up to the high alpine pastures - they were seasonal workers (not a million miles from the agricultural immigrants of today) - they used to work the vines for the wealthy landowners in the valleys and winter their cattle in their cellars. As an aside, the watchmaking industry in Switzerland was started by farmers (in the lower lying areas) who were shut of for the whole of the winter with nothing else to do apart from tinker with things.

One of the stop offs for the wealthy British people in the latter days of the grand tour was the alps - for an odd mix of scientists and what we'd call today extreme sports enthusiasts.

The Swiss people in the high Alpine villages were quite hight enough already, thank you - and really poor. The books of the time describe all the locals as basically barefoot destitutes. Subsistence farmers who farmed the least desirable places capable of being farmed. 

The wealthy British adventurers/extreme sports enthusiasts/scientists/nutters arrived in villages such as Zermatt. At the time, local legend said dragons lived at the top of mountains, you'd die if you spent the night above 2,000 metres, etc. This was a red rag to the British bulls, who wanted to challenge these theories. The vast majority of the local villagers would not want to go any higher, but in any population there were adventurers who had ventured upwards.

The wealthy British ended up finding the small fraction of nuttier(?) locals, formed teams with them (the more adventurous locals had made forays upwards - but why go to the top?) and convinced them - sometimes for scientific reasons 'man can survive a night above 2,000 metres' but more often for more prosaic reasons 'let's be the first to the top'.

Together they pushed the limits of human endurance, and went outside scientific knowledge.

Maybe a bit like going to the moon much later?

HOLA444
1 hour ago, highYield said:

The grand tour and people like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Whymper inventing winter sports in Switzerland (something like 45 of the 50 highest peaks in Switzerland were first climbed by British people, we pretty much popularised skiing there) demonstrated our inventiveness - in constructing their future invaluable tourist industry. Visiting the graveyards in Zermatt is an eyeopener (nearly every gravestone is something like 'British bloke died age 23 climbing ....'

Not to forget starting the creating the Cresta run and founding the St Moritz Tobogganing Club.

Maybe Hairy and Inbruges could decide who is right about Brexit with a Cresta run.

https://www.cresta-run.com/ride-the-cresta/ride-the-cresta/

I considered doing it for my stag do but as the prices were even scarier than the run decided to do the bobsleigh run outside Riga instead. 

HOLA445
11 hours ago, highYield said:

Brexit will be bad for me personally - I might only be able to spend 2 x 3 months periods there in the future. I'm happy with that, even if I end up having to sell my home worst case scenario. My guess is that Brexit will be good for my country (medium to long term) - which, for me, outweighs my personal VI.

We all have to get used to Brexit, we are all Brexiteers, and it does not matter how many thousands of posts he fills this thread with his dross from his various sock puppets, theses are the ONLY facts ? 

1. We voted to leave the EU June 2016

2. We triggered A50 in March 2017

3. In March 2019 we leave the EU

HOLA446
Just now, inbruges said:

We all have to get used to Brexit, we are all Brexiteers, and it does not matter how many thousands of posts he fills this thread with his dross from his various sock puppets, theses are the ONLY facts ? 

1. We voted to leave the EU June 2016

2. We triggered A50 in March 2017

3. In March 2019 we leave the EU

And again, you're wrong

3. We may leave the EU

You keep putting up absolutes, when they've not happened.

...and the sock puppets.  Honestly, you're going to have to give that up, as well as this fictitious twitter account of mine, you just come across as a bit deranged buddy.

HOLA447
5 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Not to forget starting the creating the Cresta run and founding the St Moritz Tobogganing Club.

Maybe Hairy and Inbruges could decide who is right about Brexit with a Cresta run.

https://www.cresta-run.com/ride-the-cresta/ride-the-cresta/

I considered doing it for my stag do but as the prices were even scarier than the run decided to do the bobsleigh run outside Riga instead. 

I'd take him on at a downhill - Do I love to ski.

HOLA448
7 hours ago, highYield said:

Ask a Swiss person what they think of British mountaineers - especially any who live in today's very wealthy mountain resorts - I guarantee you'll get a positive response.

They were as mad as hatters. I've read quite a bit about the early mountaineers - one memorable climber started with a description of his equipment - it was something like 'stout boots, a waterproof coat and a bottle of wine'.

The Swiss used to believe that dragons lived on the top of mountains (the prevailing winds often lead to puffs of cloud - 'smoke' from the top). Although the British were the first to climb virtually every mountain in Switzerland, they paid/convinced Swiss guides to go with them.

edit: which is why Hitler had such a hard on for the Eiger

History of Mountain climbing....

French and Italians, first to mountain climb....

HOLA449
HOLA4410
7 minutes ago, HairyOb1 said:

Macron wooing Car firms to post Brexit France.

...well it was always going to happen.

In fairness they also tried to woo the banks but with limited success. 

My guess is nobody will really do much other than contingency planning until we all know what the end result will look like. I suspect we are getting BRINO. Only way to 'satisfy' (by that I mean tick the box) those who voted leave, and those who votes remain. 

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose. 

P.S. Will  look out for that Leicester gin. 

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Just now, adarmo said:

In fairness they also tried to woo the banks but with limited success. 

My guess is nobody will really do much other than contingency planning until we all know what the end result will look like. I suspect we are getting BRINO. Only way to 'satisfy' (by that I mean tick the box) those who voted leave, and those who votes remain. 

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose. 

P.S. Will  look out for that Leicester gin. 

If you like gin, try Osmoz, a French one made from grapes.  Stunning.

BRINO would be my preferred deal, if we do actually leave in any meaningful way.  I do think the French are going to try and put some pressure on us, as they are looking to make hay out of Brexit.

HOLA4413
1 hour ago, inbruges said:

We all have to get used to Brexit, we are all Brexiteers

Nope. Some people claim they voted brexit for progressive reasons (though language they use makes me suspect they're showing false signals) but in general the brexit vote was a regressive vote against a more open world. And I don't want that. I'll also never support something that aligns so much with racists and the far right.

You have every right to believe in a more closed world where national boundaries are sacrosanct, I don't. I want a more open world and the EU is a step along that path. As someone of very mixed heritage and with an EU passport, I am what Theresa May calls a citizen of nowhere. And as much as I dislike nationalism, I'm proud to be a citizen of nowhere. 

While I'm in the UK I'll continue to oppose brexit, but in due course I won't be here anymore. One less remoaner for you lot to worry about. 

HOLA4414
Just now, ccc said:

Hairy - you aren't British. Why does it anger you so much ? B)

Anger me?  Au contraire paddy, I am very happy, I think you have mistaken me for someone else; I don't identify as British, never have.

But, what is funny, is that you do, and you aren't.  I'm as British as you, and blow me that must really get up your nose, which is suitably hilarious.

HOLA4415
Just now, HairyOb1 said:

Anger me?  Au contraire paddy, I am very happy, I think you have mistaken me for someone else; I don't identify as British, never have.

But, what is funny, is that you do, and you aren't.  I'm as British as you, and blow me that must really get up your nose, which is suitably hilarious.

Why do you abuse Chloe because of her weight ? Not very nice Mr anti misogynist ....:D

HOLA4416
Just now, ccc said:

This is your Twitter account. And it's you abusing a woman for her weight simply because she has a different political opinion to yourself. 

A lottery winner with a dark haired wife and 3 blonde kids.

You do know I am olive skinned, being 1/4th Indian, don't you?  

That's hilarious ccc, you've outdone yourself here.

I'll also report this, as it's against Forum rules, but, well, that is hilarious, if that's what inbruges has as me, well it's as comical as you're both dumb :D:D:D:D

Edited by HairyOb1

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-negotiations-no-deal-full-access-single-market-polling-theresa-may-a8571846.html

Brexit: Clear majority of Britons want at least 'full access' to single market, new poll shows Exclusive: Support for full access has now surpassed 60 per cent with many wanting to remain inside it or within the EU

Now lets watch resident Brexiteers contort themselves into unfold-able shapes trying to wave away the "WILL OF THE PEOPLE"

btw thoroughly enjoying how you guys have turned on each other now, it be interesting to see the leaps of logic that will be performed whenever there is another Scottish Independence referendum reusing same arguments made by Brexiteers  https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/06/snp-could-back-second-brexit-referendum-tied-to-independence-vote

Edited by yelims

HOLA4420
10 minutes ago, HairyOb1 said:

A lottery winner with a dark haired wife and 3 blonde kids.

You do know I am olive skinned, being 1/4th Indian, don't you?  

That's hilarious ccc, you've outdone yourself here.

I'll also report this, as it's against Forum rules, but, well, that is hilarious, if that's what inbruges has as me, well it's as comical as you're both dumb :D:D:D:D

10 minutes ago, HairyOb1 said:

Hahahahahahahahaha

Deal with it tough guy. 

Again. Why did you abuse Chloe simply because she has different political views to yourself ? 

HOLA4421
Just now, ccc said:

Deal with it tough guy. 

Again. Why did you abuse Chloe simply because she has different political views to yourself ? 

Honestly ccc, keep this up, it's comedy gold.  I am brown buddy, very brown.  That woman, as attractive as she is, has brown hair.  How on earth could I father 3 blonde girls  with her.  He's a lottery winner.  I'd not be here if I were a lottery winner, I'd be sailing the Adriatic.

You really are losing the plot in your desperation.

But keep it up.  This is real comedy gold, and I'd imagine you're about to spend some time on the naughty step too.

Kisses

Edited by HairyOb1

HOLA4422
17 minutes ago, HairyOb1 said:

You don't identify as British?

Fine leave the arguing to those who do then

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Just now, HairyOb1 said:

This putting yourself as not properly British is really getting to you, isn't it; Me, 1/4 Indian, 1/4 German and 1/2 English being as British as you, that must really grate.

Comedy gold.  Keep it up buddy.

So are you British or not?

I believe in self determination, so if you say you're not British you're not.