House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441

If you reform the benefit system, then the labour population will rebalance. it will be a lot less attractive to come and will be a big incentive to move somewhere else if you are not in work.

Although i think our benefits system needs reforming for everyone ,just removing the rights to it along with free schooling and health care for immigrants would go a long way to solving our problems if access to the eu single market comes with a free movement agreement

WTC alone are depressing wages in this country but to much immigration is is compounding this problem for sure

HOLA442
HOLA443

That's fine for people that come here and are out of work - what about the ones that are not ?

Rebalancing sounds fine in theory - but tell that to the bloke who cant find work for love or money as he applies for the job along with 18 Polish and 12 Bulgarians.

What about him? I don't understand why English strawberries have to be picked by English people. I would rather have a capable Bulgarian doctor or nurse than a sub standard English one there because they are just English.

HOLA444

What about him? I don't understand why English strawberries have to be picked by English people. I would rather have a capable Bulgarian doctor or nurse than a sub standard English one there because they are just English.

I wouldn't. That would mean there was one less doctor in the world doing doctor-like things. Makes no sense / is a massive waste of resource.

HOLA445

I'm sure that Bulgaria would also like capable Bulgarian doctors or nurses.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Reading across a couple of articles in the Telegraph and FT, the UK is seriously short of trade negotiators. Whitehall has apparently lost two generations of potential knowledge in this area because trade talks have been left to EU negotiators since 1973.

In a gesture of goodwill (and because it is keen to forge a new trade relationship with the UK) New Zealand has reportedly offered the services of its top trade negotiators to the UK for post-Brexit deals.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/29/new-zealand-offers-uk-its-top-trade-negotiators-for-post-brexit/

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5425dd4e-3dd0-11e6-8716-a4a71e8140b0.html#axzz4CGWn8ndF

Indeed. Currently the civil service is only set up to negotiate with a couple of countries at any one time. At least 3 years for Brexit. A further 10 to renegotiate our position with 60 to 70 countries.

We need a cross government Brexit department, a clear plan for exit, and investment in the resources to conduct that plan post Brexit. This is going be a slow drive.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Humour time.

British Brexiters (cat) versus reality (dog).

nrS7U5d.gif

So cute! Made me laugh!

That's all very well - but who runs their hand car washes then?

More prizes for this hope!!!! They are mechanical like here, although there is a topless one in Sofia which may be preferential, if rather more expensive

HOLA4413

Printing presses powered up.

Bring on the recession!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2016/jun/30/markets-ftse-sterling-mark-carney-brexit-speech-business-live

Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. Printy. To infinity.

Yay!

Been on the cards for a long time now well before brexit ...he has the perfect excuse FTSE new highs very soon

HOLA4414

I've had this response from the WTO and I've transcribed the tweet as it was an embedded image -

Hello,

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

Yes, the United Kingdom is a member of the WTO in its own right. See this link to our website: https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/countries_e/united_kingdom_e.htm

You may be interested in a speech the Director-General, Roberto Azevêdo, gave earlier this month in London plus his tweet from last Friday. See below:

https://www.wto.org/english/news_e/spra_e/spra126_e.htm

Roberto - Azevedo

"The British people have spoken. The #WTO stands ready to work with the UK and the EU to assist them in any way we can.

Best regards.

WTO Enquiries

WTO on the web: www.wto.org

Edit: It seems as if there is an empty seat supposedly for us. I think Leave assumes that we can automatically fill that seat (with no penalties)...whether this is true or not, I don't know.

Now there's this...(from Leave)

https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-facts-behind-claims-trade-rules/

HOLA4415

Its highly unlikely that a Bulgarian doctor or nurse will understand the great variety of colloquial English spoken throughout the UK. This is a huge problem.

You really do not know what you are talking about - do you?

HOLA4416

Good, because it takes the pressure off a good deal with the EU. Remain's only real argument is the state of the economy and by that they mean tariffs for our exports. I fully appreciate that the leave side said even WTO rules are still a better deal (net) than being in the EU, but if we can get a trade deal in that nets out the cost of tariffs, then it completely takes the wind out of their sail.

They can turn this into a big plus for the UK if they fill the political vacuum pronto and get on with their jobs!

Yes. New Zealand has offered it's negoiators to help. They have approached us regarding a trade deal as have India, Canada, Ghana, Mexico and others.

I'm extremely upbeat about Brexit. We stand to gain enormously from trade deals with the outside world. For too long we have been shackled to the decaying corpse that is the EU.

HOLA4417

What are you talking about. All the Poles that walk past me every day are speaking Polish. That doesn't mean they don't also speak English. Its not rocket science.

Lord there has been a sudden influx onto this site of people who really - IMO - talk complete drivel. Lots with very low post counts as well. Not that this means anything in particular - but rather strange nonetheless.

Almost as if a small group of angry SJW's - probably students - have decided to come on here and vent their anger....

They really really need to up their game though.

Oh no! People can speak more than one language. Terrifying!

xx

HOLA4418

Its highly unlikely that a Bulgarian doctor or nurse will understand the great variety of colloquial English spoken throughout the UK. This is a huge problem.

Yeah forrriiiinnn peepall can't talk proper.

Come on racist plonker (see I speak English) you can do better than that. It is clear that some foreign people can speak English and are educated. Please be sensible when you post a message or you just appear daft.

HOLA4419

Oh no! People can speak more than one language. Terrifying!

xx

That wasn't my point. But I think you already know this.

You're putting in a good shift but your material is truly dire.

Must try harder.

HOLA4420

Yeah forrriiiinnn peepall can't talk proper.

Come on racist plonker (see I speak English) you can do better than that. It is clear that some foreign people can speak English and are educated. Please be sensible when you post a message or you just appear daft.

Yes of course. Everyone's a racist who disagrees with you.

Nurses arriving from the European Union to take up jobs in the NHS admit they may not have the “right” language skills to work effectively, and often have difficulty slotting into the healthcare system.

http://www.nursingtimes.net/roles/nurse-educators/overseas-nurses-admit-they-dont-always-have-the-right-language-skills/5071181.fullarticle

NHS Trust forced to hold English lessons for foreign nurses

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1263684/NHS-Trust-forced-hold-English-lessons-foreign-nurses.html

HOLA4421

Are you talking from experience Dr Niall?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

NURSES recruited overseas are being offered courses in colloquial English and lessons in what makes Britons laugh featuring shows including Fawlty Towers, The Two Ronnies and Coronation Street.

Catharine Arakelian, a former university English lecturer, has discovered that although foreign nurses arrive with good training and qualifications, and often speak impeccable classroom English, they are baffled when they meet patients and new colleagues...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1381399/Foreign-nurses-learn-to-banter-with-the-English.html

Thing about Doctors and Nurses, if they make a mistake the patient could end up dead.

Edited by Niall of the Nine Hostages

HOLA4425

Yes of course. Everyone's a racist who disagrees with you.

Nurses arriving from the European Union to take up jobs in the NHS admit they may not have the “right” language skills to work effectively, and often have difficulty slotting into the healthcare system.

http://www.nursingtimes.net/roles/nurse-educators/overseas-nurses-admit-they-dont-always-have-the-right-language-skills/5071181.fullarticle

Seems balanced and unbiased. The mail is egalitarian and never provocative. I wonder whether the nurse newspaper had an angle it wanted to promote. Look, stuff like that is written for a reason, either to provoke a reaction or to get resources for new nurses. People learn languages for the entire life, I include myself. You cannot say that all non Brits will never learn English acceptably. I know some American slang, I learnt it at some point. Foreign medical workers are educated and well able to learn.

Short of saving your life, or one of your family, what would migrant medical staff have to do to gain your acceptance?

NHS Trust forced to hold English lessons for foreign nurses

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1263684/NHS-Trust-forced-hold-English-lessons-foreign-nurses.html