House Price Crash Forum

Another Company Feels The Pinch!

Spikey

HOLA441

http://home.nestor.minsk.by/build/news/2005/12/2112.html

"Anglian Windows has been struggling in the face of a slump in consumer demand and a slowdown in the housing market and has announced that it will be moving out of its Horsford Manor headquarters "

"Turnover also fell, down to £277m from £311m in the previous period, as fragile consumer confidence hit sales"

HOLA442
Guest Bart of Darkness

New windows are one of those purchases that can be put off for a year or two if need be so I guess the likes of Anglian are logical candidates to suffer from a slowdown. Conservatories are seen as a good way to boost the value of a home if you're planning to sell in a few years, but aren't cheap. Either people are deferring plans like this or just plain can't afford to take on a project like that at the moment.

No doubt lots of similar companies are being affected in the same way.

HOLA443

New windows are one of those purchases that can be put off for a year or two if need be so I guess the likes of Anglian are logical candidates to suffer from a slowdown. Conservatories are seen as a good way to boost the value of a home if you're planning to sell in a few years, but aren't cheap. Either people are deferring plans like this or just plain can't afford to take on a project like that at the moment.

No doubt lots of similar companies are being affected in the same way.

I can actually speak with some authority here, because even though I live in Australia mum keeps in touch with a relative who's husband works in a UK warehouse where they assemble and distribute conservatory kits.

My mother heard mid year that the warehouse had gone to 5-day operation, and had stopped hiring. 12 months ago they were working a 7-day roster and were continuously looking for more staff.

HOLA444
HOLA445

you cant have it both ways.

you can either pay £80k for a house and 80K within the general economy.

or pay 160k for the same house and nothing for the wider economy.

people cant afford both.

Errr doesn't the seller have the extra 80k to spend in the wider economy?

It's the extra mortgage interest on the 160k compared to 80k that is sucking money out of the economy, IMHO.

HOLA446

Had lunch last week with the owner of one of the largest conservatory installers in my area. He said it was his worst year of business for many years.

Last year the unusual aspect of the business was that people were paying for conservatories on their credit card. This year they have stopped buying all together!

HOLA447
Errr doesn't the seller have the extra 80k to spend in the wider economy?

not in the same way.

they wont buy floors, tvs or fitted kitchens as they already have most of that.

this money goes into a bank or goes to spain via a villa, or on holidays.

if not elderly, then it would go into the inflation of the house they move on to.

eitherway, the top of the chain sits the investor making the dough, and they dont tend to rush out to B&Q and snap up consumer goods. thats if they even live in the uk.