House Price Crash Forum
tomandlu

A Naughty Landlord

I spotted this in a Guardian article on the referendum:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/davehillblog/2016/jun/21/paradoxes-of-a-london-brexiter

The Sikh east London driver then disclosed that he owns a little string of properties: three London houses, one for each of his children, although for now they are being rented out. He told the passenger about his tenants. Two of the houses have been let to Poles. The third is occupied by Lithuanians.

The passenger pointed out to the driver that in one respect at least he seems to be benefitting from migration from EU member states. The driver accepted this with good grace, but still thought there were too many of them. He then said he was trying to get his Lithuanian tenants out. The problem was, he explained, he didn’t have the cash to refund their deposit. That’s why he was out driving people around London late at night.

With Uber, I assume there is no cash , so all income is tracked digitally & eventually accessible to HMRC Bots, like ebay / amazon

But on his rental income?

dgul, on 22 Jun 2016 - 6:40 PM, said:

But on his rental income?

Sorry, I was not paying attention

Often thought of starting a website Grassyourlandlordup.com

More so in the coming years when landlords will be liable for a little more tax. Squealer, grass, snitch, I really do not care, anything that ends this dirty grubby business.

Perhaps a "Stop a Douchebag" neighbour type online info compilation movement, It submits info to hmrc via a btl grass bot

It is scandalous that he could get all that cash to buy up those houses but doesnt even have enough to cover a deposit. Everything I read like this makes me wonder how big the bang will be when this goes pop.

These DEBTjunkies are all smoke and mirrors (and mainly DEBT, shtloads of DEBT) when you think about it.

Living a DEBTfuelled lie through some bllshit aspiration to attain the acceptance - and percieved envy - of society through the simple act of signing their name on as many DEBTcontracts as possible. That equals success in this bass ackwards system we got running right now.

Thats why the whole thing collapses. And soon. I've seen it. Mark this post baby, mark it. I'm calling a UK housing crash by D-D-D-December, this year. BOOK IT.

Thats why the whole thing collapses. And soon. I've seen it. Mark this post baby, mark it. I'm calling a UK housing crash by D-D-D-December, this year. BOOK IT.

Predicting an actual month?! Bold. Very bold.

These DEBTjunkies are all smoke and mirrors (and mainly DEBT, shtloads of DEBT) when you think about it.

Living a DEBTfuelled lie through some bllshit aspiration to attain the acceptance - and percieved envy - of society through the simple act of signing their name on as many DEBTcontracts as possible. That equals success in this bass ackwards system we got running right now.

Thats why the whole thing collapses. And soon. I've seen it. Mark this post baby, mark it. I'm calling a UK housing crash by D-D-D-December, this year. BOOK IT

I have a friend who's family had a string of record/video stores in Buenos Aires and piled up with debt.

The crash in 98/99 wiped them out within 12 months. The entrepreneur went from being a high-roller to driving a taxi-share around central Buenos Aires within that period. Taxi driving was the only way he could pay the mortgage on his flat. His house having been reposessed earlier as rates soared and the currency tanked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998%E2%80%932002_Argentine_great_depression

Your taxi driver LL will be shining shoes to eat when this one pops. Hopefully.

Somebody needs to send the Lithuanians a link to this thread where HPCer kaladorm was on the brink of getting a judge to force the sale of their ex-landlord's property after failure to protect or return their deposit.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/146492-submitted-n208-claim-for-deposit-non-protection/

In the end the landlord coughed up the cash and the fine if I remember correctly.

It is worse than that as the deposit is paid by the tenant and should (legal requiremenat) be placed in one of three schemes to be protected. The LL does not have to cover the money he has / must have taken the cash and spent it, which is illegal as well as morally wrong as it was never his money.

morality is something landlords never usually engage with. Right from the outset people farming is morally dubious, at least I think so but we do live in a very selfish culture at the moment.

Somebody needs to send the Lithuanians a link to this thread where HPCer kaladorm was on the brink of getting a judge to force the sale of their ex-landlord's property after failure to protect or return their deposit.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/146492-submitted-n208-claim-for-deposit-non-protection/

In the end the landlord coughed up the cash and the fine if I remember correctly.

What a delightful read, cheers.

Yes that was a fantastic thread. The idea that the landlord, having been utterly arrogant at every stage, found themselves being forced by a court to sell the house in order to pay the tenant - deliciously rare justice.