House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Bins Every Three Weeks

Oldham is planning to move to 3 weekly bin collections.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news-headlines/98639/bin-there-done-that-it-hasnt-worked-well

Oldham Council is set to consider plans to boost recycling rates and save money with changes to how rubbish and recycling is collected across the borough.

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/press/article/1172/proposals_for_changes_to_waste_collection_service

Well they're not going to increase the type of things that can be recycled, so it's only about reducing bin collections.

Which they claim won't affect jobs.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news-headlines/98639/bin-there-done-that-it-hasnt-worked-well

Oldham Council is set to consider plans to boost recycling rates and save money with changes to how rubbish and recycling is collected across the borough.

http://www.oldham.gov.uk/press/article/1172/proposals_for_changes_to_waste_collection_service

Well they're not going to increase the type of things that can be recycled, so it's only about reducing bin collections.

It does beg the question of why we pay council tax.

We've been on this regime for nearly a year now. OK for me and the missus - we only really struggle if we forget the three weekly cycle (which is harder to remember than a fortnightly one) and have to wait 6 weeks between collections.

Not so easy for those with families though - and they are talking about going to monthly!

On the one hand I have sympathy with families and the whole "what the bloody hell do I pay tax for?" argument - but, on the other, I can see no benefit in councils facilitating the conveyor belt of destruction that leads from the planet's natural resources, through our shops and our homes, and ends in landfill.

There's plenty of private refuse collection services (certainly is round here, anyway) - if the council's base offering ain't enough then they should pay to have their filth removed.

Hopefully as councils reduce this indirect subsidy of corporations use of packaging, the volume will reduce.

We've been on this regime for nearly a year now. OK for me and the missus - we only really struggle if we forget the three weekly cycle (which is harder to remember than a fortnightly one) and have to wait 6 weeks between collections.

Not so easy for those with families though - and they are talking about going to monthly!

If they want to increase recycling rates then they should just recycle more at the tip.

or burn it all for power

http://www.dw.com/en/first-world-problem-norway-and-sweden-battle-over-who-gets-to-burn-waste/a-18772064

On the one hand I have sympathy with families and the whole "what the bloody hell do I pay tax for?" argument - but, on the other, I can see no benefit in councils facilitating the conveyor belt of destruction that leads from the planet's natural resources, through our shops and our homes, and ends in landfill.

There's plenty of private refuse collection services (certainly is round here, anyway) - if the council's base offering ain't enough then they should pay to have their filth removed.

Hopefully as councils reduce this indirect subsidy of corporations use of packaging, the volume will reduce.

People may be more receptive if council tax didn't just keep going up and up and up....

(Yes I know very little of it is actually for waste collection, doesn't stop how people feel when they pay the increased amount and see less in return... unless you have a council pension of course in which case I'm sure you feel fine with all these suckers paying it for you)

If they want to increase recycling rates then they should just recycle more at the tip.

or burn it all for power

http://www.dw.com/en/first-world-problem-norway-and-sweden-battle-over-who-gets-to-burn-waste/a-18772064

I know a waste company in Leeds that bails their burnable waste and it is shipped by road to the Netherlands I think it was to be burnt for power.... May not be the case anymore but was in 2014 ish.

I didn't think they recycled all the rubbish that was sorted for recycling...apart from glass much of it is still put into land fill. ;)

or burn it all for power

Mandatory recycling hasn't worked because it distorts the market for recyclable materials. Glass and cardboard have been rendered worthless. There are mountains of these unwanted materials being pointlessly shuffled about. It's a bureaucrat's dream and a nightmare for everyone else.

Problem is that bin collection is the most visible function of the Council to many people.

You could cut back on almost anything else and many (me included) would probably not notice for quite some time.

But cut back on my bin collection - how very dare you!

Landfill is the future. Earth loves eating plastic. It feels happy with lots of plastic in its belly (George Carlin told me so).

If I was the council, I'd suggest annual collections. Much cheaper and even "better for the planet"!

In the age of Big Society we should let the people feed Earth individually by dumping their plastic in fields and forests. Earth loves these little treats.

You could cut back on almost anything else and many (me included) would probably not notice for quite some

Surely not. What about the 'community cohesion' programmes! Where would we be without them?

It does beg the question of why we pay council tax.

I only pay it because it's go to prison if I didn't. Google do more for me for free than the council do for about £1.5k a year.

Problem is that bin collection is the most visible function of the Council to many people.

You could cut back on almost anything else and many (me included) would probably not notice for quite some time.

But cut back on my bin collection - how very dare you!

Empty the bins and fill in the potholes and you've probably got most people happy with their council. Maybe using the rubbish to fill the potholes in the landfill option of the future.

Freedom of Information request to ask about council salaries/pensions? There were nearly 300 earning £50k or more on mine, including the CEO on more than the PM.

Maybe using the rubbish to fill the potholes in the landfill option of the future.

Currently being tested in India:

Filthy_street_homeless_India.jpg

You need to keep the rubbish in the black plastic sacks to match the tarmac. That Indian road isn't tarmacced, so they should be using brown plastic bags. The reason it looks a mess is because they're not.

Currently being tested in India:

Filthy_street_homeless_India.jpg

I once went on a boat trip to Monkey Island in Bombay. Everyone on that boat apart from me threw their rubbish straight into the sea, we're talking nice middle class indian families here.

Needless to say, you could have done away with the boat and walked on the floating mat of rubbish instead.

Use street bins?

Round my way there are half a many as there used to be, and they're all designed with narrow openings to limit what goes in. Even so they are all always, without fail, full to the brim or overflowing.

One council I lived under used to employ an army of street sweepers to keep the streets litter free. Naturally, there was always tonnes of litter. Then they replaced the sweepers with about one bloke dishing out fines to litterers. Result = within a year, people changed their dirty ways and stopped littering + big cost reduction.

One council I lived under used to employ an army of street sweepers to keep the streets litter free. Naturally, there was always tonnes of litter. Then they replaced the sweepers with about one bloke dishing out fines to litterers. Result = within a year, people changed their dirty ways and stopped littering + big cost reduction.

Moral of the story, doing things you shouldn't have to do, putting things right that should not be wrong to begin with, helping others that can't or won't help themselves......the wrong doers and the needy create jobs......if everything was perfect nobody would pay for your services. ;)

Here in Germany (at least where I am now) we pay 150 Euro for a 60 litre rubbish bin annually (collection every two weeks) which I think is fair enough, IIRC a 120 litre bin is around 200 Euros per year.

This fee also includes separate collection of recyclable rubbish (paper, cardboard, plastics, metals, organic matter).

A council tax doesn't exist here, only a relatively low land value tax (approx. 250 Euro per year for an average detached house).

I'm a bit weary of this sort of thing:

1) The fortnightly/monthly (or whatever) collections - I'd need to see a breakdown of domestic waste bought to the council recycling facilities pre- and post- change in collections. #

These days, whenever I have to go to the tip there is a massive number of people getting rid of normal rubbish. I wonder how many of these have missed a collection, or are in a situation where they'd have spread their deep-cleaning rubbish over a few weekly collections rather than make a trip to the tip.

1a) And there do seem to be a disproportionate number of pensioners there, all getting rid of fractionally small quantities of rubbish. Working folk with families are affected by the infrequent collections, but the pensioners (bins same size, presumably) can pop down during the day in the week and avoid the queues.

2) Recycling - Now, I do agree that we have to do something to recycle more and reduce landfill, but, we seem to have got to a position where recycling is the excuse which allows massive overconsumption. You don't need to feel guilty, because recycling is only a good thing.

Here in Germany (at least where I am now) we pay 150 Euro for a 60 litre rubbish bin annually (collection every two weeks) which I think is fair enough, IIRC a 120 litre bin is around 200 Euros per year.

This fee also includes separate collection of recyclable rubbish (paper, cardboard, plastics, metals, organic matter).

A council tax doesn't exist here, only a relatively low land value tax (approx. 250 Euro per year for an average detached house).

Often wonder how council tax is spent......I suspect most goes towards wages and pensions......Germany must have another source of income to provide for that big hit......bin rubbish collection would be in my estimation around £200 at the most PA for each household......a fraction of the CT bill. ;)