House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FANG

Eu Referendum - Will The Vote Be Rigged

From what I can ascertain from the polls it looks too pretty close to call at the moment.

However everyone I speak to, is saying they intend to or have already voted to leave.

Do you think that the vote will be rigged so that we remain in the EU and how can we prove otherwise. How is the count monitored.

As there is usually a pencil in the voting both I'm taking a pen so that they cannot rub out my leave vote.

I guess my voting slip could be destroyed or not counted then.

What does everyone think. Will TPTB fiddle the figures to get the result they want?

However everyone I speak to, is saying they intend to or have already voted to leave.

Hate to break it to you but during the Scottish Indy referendum, everyone I spoke to was a yes voter, all the bill boards and street signage were pro Yes and all the momentum and buzz seemed to behind the Yes campaign.

Hate to break it to you but during the Scottish Indy referendum, everyone I spoke to was a yes voter, all the bill boards and street signage were pro Yes and all the momentum and buzz seemed to behind the Yes campaign.

Fear is the key.

But I'm not in Scotland mate.

When people are asked which way they intend to vote by a baying mob they tend to give the answer that will keep the mob happy. Hence your observation during the Scottish referendum, the vote at the last general election and the apparent swing now to remain. My guess is that remain will win but by a much smaller margin than people might expect.

I think that if it looks like the remains are losing, there will be a magical discovery of enough postal votes to swing it the way DC wants.

Depends how you define rigged. If you mean massive large scale miscounting votes, probably not (though we are getting more and more cases of outright election fraud )

If you mean:

-wall to wall media coverage 'vote in for Jo'

-Businesses writing to their employees, telling them 'vote in or else'

-Project fear (using the states resources like the Bank of England and BBC)

-Project grief

Etc. Etc.

Then we can safely say it already is being rigged

I think in such a close vote as this is indicated to be the danger of a rigged vote is a real one. There were anomalies in the last general election (stolen voting papers), and convictions relating to postal vote fraud in 2004 (Birmingham and Peterborough) and 2007(Slough).

The fiasco of voting in the Labour Leadership election may have set as an example for possibilities.

I would fully expect that which ever side loses they will point to irregularities and in the light of the murder of an MP and resulting reported swings in polls I would consider the result unsound, to such an extent that conspiracy theories are even a consideration.

However there is no person strong enough to stand up and call foul. Consequently it is likely that Britain will make the most important decision it could based on mis-information and emotion. I had to turn off tonight's debate it made me so angry.

Thinking it through on practical terms, I'm not sure how they will be able to rig it.. I understand that there have been examples of postal rigging and sure, this is probably happening in this referendum. But I can't see how they will start counting and then think 'oh s**t that ain't going the way we want' and then rigging at this, the count stage. If you look at the large numbers of bods involved in counts, how would it not be leaked?

Or, am I missing something really obvious ?

How are the votes counted Will it be by region and reported on so that you can see a specific breakdown or will they be collectively added up and sent to one single point.

If that is the case then that will be where the figures could be manipulated.

How are the votes counted Will it be by region and reported on so that you can see a specific breakdown or will they be collectively added up and sent to one single point.

If that is the case then that will be where the figures could be manipulated.

I think they count up all the votes, work out who's in the lead and then adjust accordingly with the postal vote?

That's right, isn't it?

The next leader of the EU will be a muslim, councillor from Bradford. (thanks to whoever posted that... :lol:).

The grief felt for those who have died that you really didn't know lasts around 3 days for men and 4 days for women.. Everyday it becomes easier ......until 7 days have passed and you read the questions and put your cross.

If her husband is a psycho then they tend to behave unnaturally at funerals. (using twitter before her body was cold is a good example etc )

Id say from the moment they had early sight of the postal votes, they extended the deadline on that basis. Cue massive YOOF media blitz.

Ergo: It's rigged. Never mind all the other stunts they (already have) will pull.

Id say from the moment they had early sight of the postal votes, they extended the deadline on that basis. Cue massive YOOF media blitz.

Ergo: It's rigged. Never mind all the other stunts they (already have) will pull.

In the view of one shadow cabinet minister: “It’s over already.” MPs speak of “horrific” postal vote returns.

It's shocking that the postal votes can be seen before the final count. If so, those in the know could make serious money.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/06/eu-referendum-was-meant-be-tory-nightmare-it-has-become-one-labour

Jocks need to be barred from this debate - as when faced with a similar choice last year, they completely and totally bottled it.

I will not repeat their mistake...

XYY

Jocks need to be barred from this debate - as when faced with a similar choice last year, they completely and totally bottled it.

I will not repeat their mistake...

XYY

I know more Jocks voting out than voting in. Believe !!

I know more Jocks voting out than voting in. Believe !!

Yes yes and I knew more people voting yes in the Scottish Indy Ref. Meant nothing then, means nothing now.

If the look at the results from the last GE and work on the basis that UKIP is all going to be out, a good chunk of the Tory vote will be out and then another chunk of the Labour vote who've been adversely affected by immigration. On that basis, it's almost impossible to see where you're going to suddenly conjure anywhere near enough pro-EU votes to even entertain the idea it might be a close run thing.

Particularly, as I would have thought most pro-EU types will be textbook believers in the system who always vote. It doesn't seem at all plausible that someone who normally can't be arsed to vote is suddenly going to turnout to support the EU - the other way does though.

There's certainly a lot more that could be done to make voting more transparent. Different coloured slips of paper for each choice, for example. You could then look across the various provincial leisure centres and see immediately who has won.

^ Not 100 % sure of all the reasoning there. Don't forget, everyone who loves Love and hates Fear will turn out. It's a civic duty.

Even on a plainly rational basis, my brother who has previously shown little to no political interest has been really vocal about rhe need to vote remain.

P

If an EU remain vote, in a referendum, was a walk in the park though they would have had one years ago.

Of course, it is rigged. If there was a real choice on offer, it would not be put to us. Regardless of the outcome, the status quo will prevail. We'll still be subject to the forces of globalised capitalism including corporate capture of the government (and that will mean continued immigration to maintain GDP and suppress wages). The entire vote is basically wizard of oz territory - "pay no attention to what's really happening, take a look this nice shiny vote and get worked up about that instead".

A lot of feeble defeatism here. Surely, if the vote is tight, you don't spread the message "no point voting, it's all rigged anyway"...

But hey, your loss.

A lot of feeble defeatism here. Surely, if the vote is tight, you don't spread the message "no point voting, it's all rigged anyway"...

But hey, your loss.

That's the right message though. Stay off the electoral roll, don't engage with it and let them show their true colours, by making voting compulsory.

Here's something for people to get their tin hats all hot and bothered about.

The UK is a member of the EEA (the UK ratified the EEA agreement in 1993).

I don't know the exact details of what was it document that was ratified, it could be that UK EEA membership depends on EU membership.

If not no matter what happens on Thursday we could be in the EEA, the referendum is about EU membership, parliament can easily decide that even if there is a brexit vote there is no mandate to leave the EEA.