House Price Crash Forum

Are Big Bands Taking The Piss

lid

HOLA441

£160 for me and her indoors to see a famous band from years ago play songs from years ago

great songs, great band, great back catalogue, people pay it, and i have done

but a part of me thinks maybe should they just give a little bit back to the little people

but the music business is a behemoth and everyone is after their cut

perhaps

i dunno

HOLA442
HOLA443

In our age of free downloads etc, a lot of bands only make money from touring. And I guess if you are getting on a bit/have kids/have plenty of loot, then you probably need a serious financial incentive to get off your ass and tour. It would be my idea of hell, playing stuff from decades ago over and over again while spending your free time travelling to another anonymous city.

Is £80 per person too high? For a few hours of entertainment with them actually in front of you? Not really in my view. I do like when bands do the occasional intimate gig though of just 100 or so at a cheap price.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

HOLA444
HOLA445

Gigs are crazy expensive these days and I put it down to 3 things.

1. Bands dont make money from selling music and so need to make their money on the tour and merchandise

2. Middlemen ticket companies ripping the **** out of it. Plenty of tickets need to be booked via ticketmaster (who charge a fee per ticket) and are then straight away resold on places like Stubhub (who charge a fee per ticket). Worth noting that Ticketmaster owns a lot of these ticket tout websites like stubhub too...

3. Gigs happen mostly inside of big buildings in the middle of cities - and these are expensive bits of land. Just one more example of inflated land prices draining money from your wallet.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Personally 80 quid a head sounds a bit steep. I've seen a few bands play in recent years in Reading.

Typically tickets are in the 20-35 range.

What I wont do, is pay to stand in a field, hundreds of yards from the stage, and then watch the band on a big screen. Seems pointless.

But then by the same token, I gave up going to football ten years ago, when the annual membership just to be a supporter reached 30 quid per year and a seat cost over fifty quid. Probably 65 by now.