House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Orange

"the Man In The High Castle" (Amazon Series)

Seen this internet only series about the victorious German Reich and Empire of Japan splitting the defeated USA into puppet states?

Of course villainous protagonist SS officer John Smith (played by Dark City's Rufus Sewell) is one of the more interesting roles and borrowing somewhat from Robert Harris' relatively grounded Fatherland (ie the burned out humanised regime enforcers and being immersed into cold, dull regimes) stops the series from getting too weighed down by Philip K. Dick's incoherent trippyness.

Maybe this sort of alternate history genre could be pepped up by having the globe being ruled over by more authoritarian and xenophobic American and British imperiums?

I watched the first couple of episodes. While it was good, I felt I'd probably be watching eight more episodes of basically the same - i.e. chasing around in 1940s alternative America with likely a cliff hanger or otherwise enough plot threads left dangling for season 2.

Modern TV is very good quality, but often suffers by the need to stretch stuff out and failure to wrap things up. Bring back the six episode mini-series which tells an entire story.

YEah. I started off on this.

It did not have enough umpgh to carry me for more than 3 episodes.

AS the other poster said, there was no traction on a longer thread - bar Oh look, Germans + Japs have split the US.

And this sort of thing was donw by Fatherland.

And I have Prime + Netflix so I have so much to watch if I want.

BBC broadcasts is just not getting a look in at the mo.

If I worked for the BBC Id be looking for another job soonish.

Dull.

Lots of world building for no good reason. i.e. isn't real, no vested interest. Don't care about most of the interactions politically.

Insufficient plot to keep interest. Got a feeling it'll do a "lost" on the viewer. Nope.

I watched it, I thought the first few eposides had real potential as a dark, gritty, non-Hollywood type series. The scene in the Japanses police station at the end of episode 2 (I think) was quite hard hitting.

It didn't really live up to the promise IMO though, those that only watched the first few probably got the best out of it.

Oh look, Germans + Japs have split the US.

And this sort of thing was donw by Fatherland.

Harris described Nazi Germany as concluding a peace with the USA rather than occupying it - and Japan as defeated.

Two questions re. actual history:

(1) What did the Japanese top brass really think when they heard of the German unconditional surrender?

(2) What did Goering et al. in custody think when they heard about Hiroshima and Nagasaki? "A good thing we lost the war first"?

I watched the whole of the first series, I think it's only saving grace might be that it's on Amazon and that might mean its not under the same pressures as most US series and it gets wrapped up at some point.

Having said that, there really wasn't much in the way of a central story and far too much fluff. I don't have Amazon Prime any longer and I doubt I'd go to the trouble of subscribing again just for this.

Saying that, I have enjoyed soe stuff on Prime - Transparent, a couple of kids programmes.

Currently Im working my way through Jessica Jones on Netflix.

Technically, the story is too weak but for whatever reason Im really into the 1st series. Its very good.

And not cos I fancy the pants of Kryten Ritter)

Saying that, I have enjoyed soe stuff on Prime - Transparent, a couple of kids programmes.

Currently Im working my way through Jessica Jones on Netflix.

Technically, the story is too weak but for whatever reason Im really into the 1st series. Its very good.

Yes, Jessica Jones is really compelling. Although you do find yourself saying: "FFS, just get a sniper rifle and be done with it!!!"

I'm a bit of a Philip K Dick fan and really liked the book of this, so my opinion is probably slightly skewed - it's a pretty OK interpretation of something that is a really interesting concept (alternate WW2 history).

Krysten Ritter was so adorable and heartbreaking in Breaking Bad.

Philip K Dick's books are fantastic but in this alternate scenario Robert Harris' Fatherland struck the best note IMHO. His story was anchored within routine and dullness and was more realistic as a consequence.

God yeah ...

David Tennant's character was also utterly appalling (in a moral way not acting way) in Jessica Jones as well.

Also back to TMITHC, I was especially liked Joel de la Fuente as the especially egregious Kempeitai Inspector Kido (a more sanctimonious less campy and smarter Imperial Japanese version of Toht from Raiders of the Lost Ark I suppose).

Problem with alternative Nazi histories is you can run through all the options the Germans had: don't do V1 but focus on jets, don't attack Stalingrad, don't build complicated tanks but focus on Stugs, don't waste time killing the jews but whichever way you run the numbers you always come back to Summer 1945, America develops the "army destroying" A bomb. The only game changer would have been to have invaded Britain in 1940 - but as they lost the air war and the RN was very strong that was maybe never a serious option or they would have done it before Barbarossa. If they had invaded the UK then maybe the Robert Harris scenario would have happened - even then they were still fighting an unending war in the east with the rump USSR.

It's been argued that if Germany hadn't done the V1 V2 program they could have got the bomb because the development costs were similar, around 3 Trillion, but almost certainly not before the Americans.