House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

justthisbloke

Ouch - Bloody Chainsaw

fortunately it wasnt running! i was making adjustments, slipped, and caught my right hand on chain.

pain and blood-tastic!

fallen tree still blocking drive :(

They scare the daylights out of me.

Only thing worse than a chainsaw is a clown with a chainsaw.

Only thing worse than a clown with a chainsaw is a zombie clown with a chainsaw.

Chainsaws are nasty tools - they are one of the few power tools that scare me. I'll use one if necessary, but I prefer to use a decent bow saw - it will get through moderate diameter green wood surprisingly quickly.

Having used an angle grinder successfully on countless occassions, I bought a monster masonry grinder to cut up some concrete. The unweildy thing bounced off what I was ciutting on to my leg and tore my (unprotected) jeans. It could easily have taken my kneecap off.

I now have an (almost) unused grinder in pristine condition, new jeans, both kneecaps (fortunately).

I got rid of the concrete by selling the house that it was part of.

They scare the daylights out of me.

Only thing worse than a chainsaw is a clown with a chainsaw.

Only thing worse than a clown with a chainsaw is a zombie clown with a chainsaw.

You know you are dealing with a carnarge creating tool when the shop puts 1 litre canisters of blood coagulant powder on the next shelf.

While were discussinf H and S, never dismiss the ability of an angle grinder to cause serious damage as well, especially the big ones. It doesnt happen often but when those discs break up at high speed they can inflict all manner of damage.

fortunately it wasnt running! i was making adjustments, slipped, and caught my right hand on chain.

pain and blood-tastic!

fallen tree still blocking drive :(

You have my sympathy. I cut my thumb on my chain saw a couple of years ago whilst moving it in the garage. God they're sharp, no blood for thirty seconds then a flood. Inch long scar too, took ages to heal, probably the oil on the blade.

I once put a brand new razor blade in a stanley knife as deep as it would go in my thigh. I put some cellotable over the wound to hold it closed and it had completely healed in a week. I think it was just such a clean cut along the length of the muscle it just closed up almost overnight.

I once put a fair sized cauterized hole in my leg just by touching a stationary, recently used masonry bit against it. Hadn't accoumted for the physics.

Not to be trusted :)

P

Six weeks ago I was cutting a brick wall with an 9" diamond blade angle grinder. I jammed the blade and the kickback sent the tool straight into my knee. The blade cauterised the wound quite nicely!

I'm back at work now but I've got a big numb patch on my leg and every time I think about the accident I go into a cold sweat.

I've always hated angle grinders. Sometimes there's just no other way.

To use a chainsaw professionally, you would need to hold a certificate. Also you would be wearing armoured gloves and trousers. I'm no H&S nazi, but I would regard these as reasonable precautions.

You know you are dealing with a carnarge creating tool when the shop puts 1 litre canisters of blood coagulant powder on the next shelf.

While were discussinf H and S, never dismiss the ability of an angle grinder to cause serious damage as well, especially the big ones. It doesnt happen often but when those discs break up at high speed they can inflict all manner of damage.

On a 3rd world construction site, I once saw the outcome of putting a grinding disk with a lower max RPM rating than the tool it was put on.

No amount of coagulant powder can help with the top of the skull missing. Very very messy .

Having used an angle grinder successfully on countless occassions, I bought a monster masonry grinder to cut up some concrete. The unweildy thing bounced off what I was ciutting on to my leg and tore my (unprotected) jeans. It could easily have taken my kneecap off.

I now have an (almost) unused grinder in pristine condition, new jeans, both kneecaps (fortunately).

I got rid of the concrete by selling the house that it was part of.

I've never been quite sure what an angle grinder is, so I just checked online. If you look at Google Images, there are a number of more specific searches, with thumbnails, at the top. The first one was for "injuries". I really wasn't tempted to click on it.

I've never been quite sure what an angle grinder is, so I just checked online. If you look at Google Images, there are a number of more specific searches, with thumbnails, at the top. The first one was for "injuries". I really wasn't tempted to click on it.

(Maybe it's just my personal google bubble :blink: ) but one of the proffered specific searches is for "women". As in "angle grinder women". I have safe search on but I haven't dared investigate further.

(Maybe it's just my personal google bubble :blink: ) but one of the proffered specific searches is for "women". As in "angle grinder women". I have safe search on but I haven't dared investigate further.

Everyone loves to see a woman in a boiler suit using power tools.

You have my sympathy. I cut my thumb on my chain saw a couple of years ago whilst moving it in the garage. God they're sharp, no blood for thirty seconds then a flood. Inch long scar too, took ages to heal, probably the oil on the blade.

That's pretty much what I did. A slash across the thumb and blood, blood, blood.

I got that too. Didn't click on that either.

To use a chainsaw professionally, you would need to hold a certificate. Also you would be wearing armoured gloves and trousers. I'm no H&S nazi, but I would regard these as reasonable precautions.

I've never had a certificate - just learned it all from my dad.

But seeing as I've managed to bleed all round the house *without even starting it up*, maybe I do need a course. Probably a first aid course!

But seeing as I've managed to bleed all round the house *without even starting it up*, maybe I do need a course. Probably a first aid course!

You won't enjoy your life of idleness with bits missing. Play safe! :blink:

On the plus side, they make wonderful sparks.

FFS Go on a chainsaw course. SERIOUSLY.

A few years ago a local man went missing. He was found dead in a wood with a chain saw strapped to his arm. Makes me feel ill thinking about how anyone could choose death by chain saw.

Scary implements.....Thinking about even holding one scares me.