House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GinAndPlatonic

Cheapest Way To Get To Oz With A Stopover..excluding Cost Of Hotels..just Considering Costs Of Flights.?

Me and family going for a holiday to Australia. Hoping to stopover somwhere on way. Say Hong Kong. It seems to me if we want to stay longer than two or three days it adds to the flight costs more than if I buy return tickets to said city Hong Kong><UK, and at same time purchase return tickets Hong Kong><Sydney, Australia. Obviously tying in dates with days to spare in case of delays with any particular leg of the flights.

Does anyone know what if any problems there might be doing it this way.

Dont necessarily mean cheapest airline just the best way, all things being equal.

First downside is that your luggage won't necessarily be put on flight from HK to Oz, and you may end up having to haul it around with you on your stopover. May not matter to you.

First downside is that your luggage won't necessarily be put on flight from HK to Oz, and you may end up having to haul it around with you on your stopover. May not matter to you.

Ok, there is that.

We are planning to travel as light as possible but yes something to consider, although if stopping two nights or more anywhere you need changes of clothes and stuff, so best to take all your luggage with you anyway.

If you're doing it with days to spare then no issue. If you're not then the lack of guaranteed transfers is a big problem.

Yes planning two days at least on way and 36 hours at least on return to UK. I guess the only down side would be staying somewhere on the return that we`ve already visited, so it would be more to rest and stretch legs than anything else.

Yes planning two days at least on way and 36 hours at least on return to UK. I guess the only down side would be staying somewhere on the return that we`ve already visited, so it would be more to rest and stretch legs than anything else.

I would say that's cutting it fine. 2 days is the absolute minimum by this method.

Er..ok. That does make sense. it will end up costing me a lot more if we miss one leg because of a delay previously. So it seems one downside is having to spend time in the same place on return journey when maybe all we want to do is get back home in the UK.

Suggest you ask on the BA Exec club forum on flyertalk.com

The people on there will probably wangle you a way of finding a flight in business class for marginally more than economy

Consider an ex-eu flight

The people on there will probably wangle you a way of finding a flight in business class for marginally more than economy

Consider an ex-eu flight

Thanks. I will look.

Consider an ex-eu flight

I would see whether paying a bit more for business class allows you to do it in one journey - unless, of course, you do wish to stop-over in places like Dubai, HK, LA.

Edit:

Ah, you wish to stop-over.