House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iLegallyBlonde

Can It Get More Depressing ?

What's the matter with you lot? Like the man above said it's the value of the land. The ad keeps rattling on about a development opportunity. Round here that would be bulldozed and 12 flats whacked up double quick.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-529...pa_n=4&tr_t=buy

According to the agents they have had lots of interest and expect it to sell for £300k

:(

Not sure if they can re-develop this into flats, I`m sure there`s a moratorium (sp?) on new builds in this area at the present time. Have you searched the road for comparable prices? There is no way IMHO you can build value into this proposition even at the asking price..walk away.

Here`s an interesting pointer for you as to the insanity of the Wirral marketplace. Leasowe road, Moreton..newbuild flats on former petrol station. Petrol station bought by a company that has huge contracts in repairing cars, they buy it off the retiring owner on the presumption that they will make it into a better petrol station, clever, then demolish station and build flats. Flats been available for purchase since summer, four sold out of 18, no lights on of an evening when I pass the building, development total cost 2mil, flats worth IMHO 1mil...

Another example, guy pays 1mil for a house he didn`t want, really wanted house number 2. Guy would not budge on house number 2, price of 1.3 mil. Number 2 house now priced at 850K.

My understanding is that you`ve got your modest sale proceeds stashed, dont be rushed into re-purchasing

here you go

http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?co...=ch&town=&year=

Edited by Converted Lurker

Not sure if they can re-develop this into flats, I`m sure there`s a moratorium (sp?) on new builds in this area at the present time. Have you searched the road for comparable prices? There is no way IMHO you can build value into this proposition even at the asking price..walk away.

Here`s an interesting pointer for you as to the insanity of the Wirral marketplace. Leasowe road, Moreton..newbuild flats on former petrol station. Petrol station bought by a company that has huge contracts in repairing cars, they buy it off the retiring owner on the presumption that they will make it into a better petrol station, clever, then demolish station and build flats. Flats been available for purchase since summer, four sold out of 18, no lights on of an evening when I pass the building, development total cost 2mil, flats worth IMHO 1mil...

Another example, guy pays 1mil for a house he didn`t want, really wanted house number 2. Guy would not budge on house number 2, price of 1.3 mil. Number 2 house now priced at 850K.

My understanding is that you`ve got your modest sale proceeds stashed, dont be rushed into re-purchasing

You obviously know the area so I wouldn't disagree with you. What I would say is that John Prescott changed the planning laws in 2001 (I think) to encourage development on any and every brownfield site. Councils love one house being knocked down and 12 flats going up - they get more council tax and they don't have to let anyone build on their precious green fields.

As I say, where I live, they'd welcome you doing it. The head of our council's planning department told me a couple of years ago when I was arguing the toss about an extension his minions did not want me to build - that if I and a group of my neighbours - sitting on our quarter acre plots - wanted to knock down and build at a density of 50 to the hectare there would be nothing he (the council) could do to stop it - the government had changed the rules and that was that. Unless land is green belt or a conservation area, pretty much anything goes these days.

Agents can say anything they want. Doesn't make it so.

Exactly... personally I'm confused why they list the room sizes, yet not the plot size.

Similarly have you noticed the roof looks newer than next door? Is it a "flipper" gone wrong (but not understanding fire sets light to stuff).. or tried to get the insurance? I don't know the properties history, but I'd question it if I decided to buy B)

What's the matter with you lot? Like the man above said it's the value of the land. The ad keeps rattling on about a development opportunity. Round here that would be bulldozed and 12 flats whacked up double quick.

Of course. But it is still amusing to dissect the blurb, for its extravagantly bad grammar, spin, euphemisms, EA-speak and platitudes masquerading as information. Thus:

The existing house stands on a good sized mature plot

ie: looks like it's been hit by a bomb

The accommodation which, we stress, requires very comprehensive modernisation briefly includes

As if you couldn't see that from the picture....but strange, it includes things that are brief.

a central reception hall, lounge, dining room, morning room.....

"Morning Room"? Are they kidding? Which one?!!

There is an attached garage outside and extensive gardens

Yeah! I can just see the extensive gardens featured in Gardener's World

There are schools for all age groups within the locality

What urban sprawl doesn't have schools?

but this is my favourite:

whilst an established network of roads....

ha ha!....er what did we expect, a thousand square miles of desert?

All wonderfully entertaining. Gets my prize for kitsch presentation of the year.

VP

Edited by VacantPossession