House Price Crash Forum

Possession Of Dangerous Chemicals

anonguest

HOLA441

Still suspicious of the accuracy of this IF, as quoted, hydrogen peroxide has a freezing temperature within half a degree of that of water!

In practice, with an ordinary freezer, you won't stand a chance of separating the two in this way.

Hows about vacuum distillation? Given that there is a difference in boiling points but H2O2 decomposed when heated why not just apply a vacuum to boil off the water at a lower than decomposition temperature?

I gave it much thought in my school days after reading about the Messerschmidt Me163,

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Hows about vacuum distillation? Given that there is a difference in boiling points but H2O2 decomposed when heated why not just apply a vacuum to boil off the water at a lower than decomposition temperature?

I gave it much thought in my school days after reading about the Messerschmidt Me163,

Vacuum distillation would work. But to try it in your garage, you'd need to be pretty sure of your ability to control pressure and temperature. Unless you want your garage to disappear in a puff of smoke.

Which, IIRC, was a common failure mode for the Me163.

H202 has interesting properties - freezing point depression etc. Doing a bit of freeze-distillation would make a nice home science project for the kids.

(My father was a chemist and we had a great home lab).

HOLA444
HOLA445

Vacuum distillation would work. But to try it in your garage, you'd need to be pretty sure of your ability to control pressure and temperature. Unless you want your garage to disappear in a puff of smoke.

Which, IIRC, was a common failure mode for the Me163.

H202 has interesting properties - freezing point depression etc. Doing a bit of freeze-distillation would make a nice home science project for the kids.

(My father was a chemist and we had a great home lab).

I don't doubt. Must have been fun.

Those were of course the days before political correctness, nanny state H&S and the never ending fight against terrorism resulted in all of being restricted to doing things no more dangerous than playing Tiddlywinks. :(

OK. So that was a bit of a melodramatic exaggeration but, to be fair, at the current rate that world is not long in coming!

HOLA446
Those were of course the days before political correctness, nanny state H&S and the never ending fight against terrorism resulted in all of being restricted to doing things no more dangerous than playing Tiddlywinks. :(

OK. So that was a bit of a melodramatic exaggeration but, to be fair, at the current rate that world is not long in coming!

And people got hurt by these things in the past. Do you want to try explaining to a grieving parent why you decided it was fine to let their child be poisoned? Or see them covered in chemical burns?

(that was sarcasm for the standard defence of H&S drivel by the way)

HOLA447

In truth, my childhood wasn't casualty-free. One-eyed Jon, for example - home made gun experiment that, er, backfired (true).

But the vast majority who died or were maimed before 25 were victims of motorcars and their drivers rather than scientific/engineering experimentation. And the ones dying early post 45, are victims of the same car culture that has clogged their arteries with inactivity and their lungs with particulates.

HOLA448

Everything I've ever read about the Me 163 would encourage me to go nowhere near anything that it had anything to do with.

Yes, but those were when I was very young. In fact the first scar thet I have that I can date reasonably accurately is from one of my earlier attempts at making gunpowder. I had the proportion right, courtesy of Encyclopedia Britannica, but did not realise that the formulation was by weight rather than by teaspoon full. My older cousin who had just started secondary school pointed out the error of my ways and we became quite successful manufactures of black powder. We even made and even made a powered mixer to make up our stuff. Powered by a motor from a deicer pump of some sort from a Lancaster. At least I was told that was the source of the motor when I was given it to power the things I made with Meccano.

HOLA449

Yes, but those were when I was very young. In fact the first scar thet I have that I can date reasonably accurately is from one of my earlier attempts at making gunpowder. I had the proportion right, courtesy of Encyclopedia Britannica, but did not realise that the formulation was by weight rather than by teaspoon full. My older cousin who had just started secondary school pointed out the error of my ways and we became quite successful manufactures of black powder. We even made and even made a powered mixer to make up our stuff. Powered by a motor from a deicer pump of some sort from a Lancaster. At least I was told that was the source of the motor when I was given it to power the things I made with Meccano.

Today you'd be facing XX years in prison for that - never mind if TPTB can't show any wider nefarious motive or intent to do public harm.

AND before anyone says I exaggerate.....this thread is all about new law imposing penalty of up to 2 years in prison for just owning a phial of mercury, or bottle of strong nitirc acid or packet of old weedkiller (perchlorates) without a licence!

HOLA4410

Quote from http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/326082-chemistry-tip-concentrated-hydrogen-peroxide-cheaply/

"I'm 58 years old, and I first produced concentrated hydrogen peroxide by this method when I was about 12. I've done it many times since, and never had a problem"

Thanks for that.

A couple of years ago, I got rid of a wart on my forehead by applying 35% peroxide twice a day. Now another has grown close to my hairline but thanks to tptb, 12% peroxide is the strongest I can buy. Will be trying the freezing method.

HOLA4411

To get rid of warts, you need cider vinegar[1]. Soak some cotton wool in the stuff and use a plaster to fasten it to the wart. Replace as vinegar evaporates. Something like a week or two later you'll be wart-free.

Well, worked for me, anyway. And cheaper and less scary than *putting hydrogen peroxide on your face*!

[1] It's just the acetic acid that does the job. No idea whether cider vinegar is more conc or something. It's just what the local witch told me to use.

HOLA4412

To get rid of warts, you need cider vinegar[1]. Soak some cotton wool in the stuff and use a plaster to fasten it to the wart. Replace as vinegar evaporates. Something like a week or two later you'll be wart-free.

Well, worked for me, anyway. And cheaper and less scary than *putting hydrogen peroxide on your face*!

[1] It's just the acetic acid that does the job. No idea whether cider vinegar is more conc or something. It's just what the local witch told me to use.

Many years since I had that problem. Think it was back in my 'teens.

But I recollect trying two solutions. One involved a prescription from the quack, and didn't work, despite some painful efforts. The other was some over-the-counter brew from (IIRC) Boots, and did the job nicely.

Moral: ask a regular dispensing chemist. If at first you don't succeed, try another.

HOLA4413

Well, I for one am happy people aren't allowed to keep rotting sheds full of dangerous chemicals. Dangerous chemicals, by definition, are dangerous. Like guns and tigers I don't see why you shouldn't need a licence for keeping them - if you need them as part of a job or hobby then applying for a licence is not too much hassle.

I wouldn't be happy if my neighbours shed blew up, vapourising a load of mercury in the process which I ended up breathing in.

As regards small quantities - yes the law can be an ass if taken to extremes. That goes in a lot of cases.

HOLA4414

Well, I for one am happy people aren't allowed to keep rotting sheds full of dangerous chemicals. Dangerous chemicals, by definition, are dangerous. Like guns and tigers I don't see why you shouldn't need a licence for keeping them - if you need them as part of a job or hobby then applying for a licence is not too much hassle.

I wouldn't be happy if my neighbours shed blew up, vapourising a load of mercury in the process which I ended up breathing in.

As regards small quantities - yes the law can be an ass if taken to extremes. That goes in a lot of cases.

Good job Nanny is there to look after us.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I've just noticed there's a Q in the sub-title; "declare them or hide them?".

Well, you need a third option for my strategy when sodium chlorate was banned: stockpile it!

Sadly all gone now. So if anyone's got a suggestion for decent weedkiller, I'm all ears. Currently buying bulk conc glysophate but you need to reapply it continually - whenever something new and green pokes up.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I've got a bottle of organic cider vinegar. fwir, it has to be the unfiltered stuff that has 'the mother' in it. ie. some snot looking stuff at the bottom.

If I used plasters, my face would be more band aid then flesh. So strong peroxide is preferred, it doesn't hurt that much.

HOLA4419

Hand them in to the police. The easiest thing is to put them in an anonymous package and post them to the local police headquarters.

Edit. Or indeed post them directly to the Home Office.

probably not a good idea if the reason they are banned is they can be used to make dangerous things - they might think it was a failed attempt to harm them!

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Archived