House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Psycho Babble Tests For Aptitude

I'm currently having a go with some psychometric tests for numeracy and verbal reasoning. My first opinion is they are just b0110cks. Some of the English language used is vague in both statements and answers. What I find even more amusing is that none of these tests appear to want to give you the answers, it appears the answers are official secrets as you might work out the structure and render it all meaningless or realise it is just b0110cks and the whole thing is a scam go get HR and senior managers out of doing the recruitment properly.

As you can't find out what the answers are it's a bit of a struggle to work out what it is you are doing wrong and some of the stats I've got appear bonkers I did one test and got 91% and in another got 34%. This was in a space of about 20 minutes.

The numerical tests clearly aren't just about numeracy as some require knowledge of working out for example cost efficiency etc...

I can only conclude that these tests are more about pot luck, ie you getting questions you know rather than a test of aptitude and as they are multiple choice someone with luck on their side could clearly answer more correctly than someone actually trying. As these types of tests are favoured by the likes of JP Morgan / Goldman etc.... I can understand why the economy is utterly fooked!

I'm currently having a go with some psychometric tests for numeracy and verbal reasoning. My first opinion is they are just b0110cks. Some of the English language used is vague in both statements and answers. What I find even more amusing is that none of these tests appear to want to give you the answers, it appears the answers are official secrets as you might work out the structure and render it all meaningless or realise it is just b0110cks and the whole thing is a scam go get HR and senior managers out of doing the recruitment properly.

As you can't find out what the answers are it's a bit of a struggle to work out what it is you are doing wrong and some of the stats I've got appear bonkers I did one test and got 91% and in another got 34%. This was in a space of about 20 minutes.

The numerical tests clearly aren't just about numeracy as some require knowledge of working out for example cost efficiency etc...

I can only conclude that these tests are more about pot luck, ie you getting questions you know rather than a test of aptitude and as they are multiple choice someone with luck on their side could clearly answer more correctly than someone actually trying. As these types of tests are favoured by the likes of JP Morgan / Goldman etc.... I can understand why the economy is utterly fooked!

Attempts by HR to dress up the recuitment process with a veneer of objectivity. And if the resultant employee turns out to be a dud, they can blame the recruitment failure on the tests

There is a knack to aptitude tests. I think they partly test different types of intellence and partly test previous exposure to aptitude tests.

Of course what they can't tell you is how much of a pain im the ar5e someone will be to work with :)

I'm somewhere in the '000th percentile I think for Verbal Reasoning so I'm a fan ;)

P

You need your sixth sense and interview skills to detect the "pain in the ****".

I join you in the Verbal Reasoning scores. Sweet-talking bastards, we.

The only question worth asking is "can you work with this person". We assume the said person is "qualified" or wouldn't have made it to the interview stage. For those interviewers with no intuition whatsoever, there's always the HR "tests".

I went to a large group interview for a blue chip recently.

The Sales Director introduced himself and explained sales is a lonely job, your targets, your results, your rewards.

Spent the next two hours doing 1980s style "teamwork" exercises.

waste of time.

I think they partly test different types of intellence and partly test previous exposure to aptitude tests.

In other words "are you a corporate drone prepared to knuckle under to the daily grind". Sounds reasonable.

I went to a large group interview for a blue chip recently.

The Sales Director introduced himself and explained sales is a lonely job, your targets, your results, your rewards.

Spent the next two hours doing 1980s style "teamwork" exercises.

waste of time.

The orange suit and cravat didn't help! :blink:

I once withdrew a job application, for which I had been very shortlisted for interview, because the almost whole day(!!!) interview process comprised more of such tests, incluidng a load of Belbin type nonsense, than actual good old fashioned panel interview.

I let them know, in no uncertain terms that I thought they were nuts.

I got great pleasure to see the exact same post advertised twice withtin the following 6 months and quick anonymous phone enquiry confirmed they had not managed to fill the post. Lord knows how much time and money they wasted in trying to recruit the eventual 'winner'. And before anyone asks/wonders....NO this was not some super high paid executive category job. IF it had been I could understand the desire to perform a much greater level of inquisition and performance testing a la The Apprentice - but it was not.