House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

60S & 70S Celebrity Fashion Disasters

The time when austerity gave way to new fabrics and an absence of rules. You could wear what you liked. But should you?

article-2219401-158E4289000005DC-708_634

Wilfrid Brambell

220px-Lionel_Bart_3_Allan_Warren.jpg

Lionel Bart

I'm not a celebrity, so any style mistakes I may have made will never be heard of.

Mr Tulip, do you have one of those?

Memes and fashions seem to seep into your head, even if you believe yourself to be immune. :blink: Gentlemen of a certain age should dress well but classically, even if you have piercings and tattooes.

It is a shirt. It is a suit. It is a pair of y-frontless y-fronts. What is not too like - just as long as you never have the need to wee.

It was totally pointless, innit? What bloke of a certain age doesn't want quick release knickers. It's more like a gay club boiler suit.

I remember a 1970's episode of Columbo with Shatner as the murderer - think he did 2 Columbos - where he wore the most awful plaid suit. I cringe every time I see it on the box but I can't find a pic of it online.

Can I add this awful Dick Van Dyke 1970's beard?

negativevandyke.png

It was totally pointless, innit? What bloke of a certain age doesn't want quick release knickers. It's more like a gay club boiler suit.

Well, I bow to your greater wisdom in that matter ;)

Well, I bow to your greater wisdom in that matter ;)

I lived in Brighton for some time. My flatmate was gay.

Orange and brown were definitely 70s colours.

I owned a bright orange nylon polo neck shirt that generated a static charge that could have felled an elephant at 30 paces. No need to fear muggers when your attire makes you a walking taser.

Things I remember are.....hot pants with bibs and dungarees, side-pocket trousers and tank tops, high platform shoes that used to rock, sheepskin coats, oxford bags, parker coats, bell bottom trousers....easy to make yourself, open up side seam of any pair of trousers/jeans and stitch in triangle of contrasting material...... ;)