Things Of Future Passed

Frank Hovis

HOLA441
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Letraset.

I used to enjoy writing naughty words with it. It got more challenging once all the vowels were used up.

Ah! But Letraset lasted ages. At least 60s to 90s.

I used to get frustrated by the sheer number of sheets that I had hanging round without the wanted letter.

But I didn't have to use them for long - thankfully cheap laser printers came along and made things a bit easier.

On a similar note I'd say graph paper - I used to have loads, then overnight it became easier to plot graphs out on computer. I've still got some decent graph paper (and the superior version - tracing paper over a grid) which I use to amuse the children with tales of the olden days.

But both letraset and graph paper were actually useful and for some time as well - not a promise of a better future which turned out to be worthless.

HOLA443

Letraset.

I used to enjoy writing naughty words with it. It got more challenging once all the vowels were used up.

You should get the Polish version of Roger's Profanisaurus.

HOLA444

It's amazing that so much technology has lasted so well. LP records and 35mm film seem to have had a long and happy life. Analog FM broadcasting still works well.

Physics innit?

Analogue technology was so well understood and so heavily developed it will still be many years before it is completely replaced with something superior, or even equal.

Same reason why the petrol and diesel engine will be around for many years to come: thousands of man years of development and probably 100s of billions (if not trillions) in investment.

HOLA445

Filofax. :blink: Utterly barking!

I remember asking a girl what Filofaxes were because they'd been referred to in Private Eye. I was open and encouraging rather than dismissive but only got that they were an A5 ring binder with loose leaf diary pages.

I quite liked that and bought one; but I didn't understand how they became so very fashionable.

HOLA446

I remember asking a girl what Filofaxes were because they'd been referred to in Private Eye. I was open and encouraging rather than dismissive but only got that they were an A5 ring binder with loose leaf diary pages.

I quite liked that and bought one; but I didn't understand how they became so very fashionable.

Yes you have described it very well, but once you call an A5 ringbinder a "Filofax", it takes on magical qualities. :blink:

HOLA447

Archived