House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

People Who Own Iphones Blow Goats

I got my missus a reconditioned iphone 5c to replace a broken non iphone smartphone

I know a bit techy-wise, so I was quite excited about its integration between apps and things like airplay audio and especially our 4th gen apple tv for video. I haven't been tempted by an iPhone myself but the ecosystem is the thing about it that would tempt me.

It IS impressively simple to use for common tasks. But anything a little advanced becomes an exercise in technical fiddling - intuitive it is not, with different 'back' buttons (if there are any at all) for different apps - and often things just don't work, like setting individual volume level for app notifications such as messenger. Furthermore airplay of facetime in landscape/horizontal mode is on its side on my Apple TV output - whereas SKYPE on iPhone gets this right. Incidentally airplay, whilst being the smoothest video call app clearly, won't do video conferencing of 3 or more clients. It sticks to simple core functionality only device to device, admittedly doing it very well. Just won't do more scaleable handy stuff.

My missus' take on this? She isn't interested, you get the punishment you deserve for trying clever stuff on a phone (these things tend to work on my nexus phone), it does the half dozen things she wants easily without thinking and the odd thing like not being able to specifically drop the volume on one app's notification properties (despite the fact that the option is there but simply doesn't work) is irrelevant, she'll ignore it, and also where airplay integration simply goes wrong. Same comes from her friends etc with iPhones.

It DOES have superior interface ergonomics and , as I said, for the simple stuff most people want, generally very straightforward functionality. But I don't really aspire to own one because it doesn't, for me anyway, really work, for what most people use it for it just does what a very good feature phone would do with better ergonomics and a better camera. An android phone is so much more adaptable. But Apple don't do that, they tell you what you want and you say yes and buy it. Really eye-opening. They clearly have a special sauce.

How long has it taken you to work this out?

I just wanted it to be better than that, that's all, my suspicions have not been confirmed. It's far worse than I suspected at the things it's a let-down on. Infuriating in fact.

I used to be an HTC freak. Till I got bored of fiddling with the damn thing.

iPhone (6+) just works, sometimes delightfully. Great design and quality. I'm now an Apple tart!!!

I now fiddle with my gaming laptop!!!

This is apple's gig and in my view they've chosen well. I'd wager less than 10% of the population give one fifth of one ****** about stuff as simple as rearranging app order on their device. Now to anyone not retarded this will seem incomprehensible. But it is what it is and apple have judged market well.

I used to be an HTC freak. Till I got bored of fiddling with the damn thing.

iPhone (6+) just works, sometimes delightfully. Great design and quality. I'm now an Apple tart!!!

I now fiddle with my gaming laptop!!!

I use iTunes to play music on my laptop for just that reason - I don't want the choices.

But I don't pay a 100% premium for downloading (free) iTunes, something that actually does less than the competition, generally very neatly (at doing not much) as it happens.

This is apple's gig and in my view they've chosen well. I'd wager less than 10% of the population give one fifth of one ****** about stuff as simple as rearranging app order on their device. Now to anyone not retarded this will seem incomprehensible. But it is what it is and apple have judged market well.

yes to some degree. Even the word 'iPhone' is irritatingly droppable, I use it myself to refer to my wife's phone. I annoy myself every time I say it. Free advertising. Genius frankly.

Google's capital valuation is now greater than Apple's incidentally, unless it's swapped again very recently.

I'm on my third iPhone, but I've also got a Lenovo tablet, which is very capable, but I find Android a right faff. A few months ago, I recommended a mate of mine, a Moto G, and I set it up for him, as he didn't have a clue. What a pain in the **** that phone is, and its supposedly one of the best for the money...

I'm on my third iPhone, but I've also got a Lenovo tablet, which is very capable, but I find Android a right faff. A few months ago, I recommended a mate of mine, a Moto G, and I set it up for him, as he didn't have a clue. What a pain in the **** that phone is, and its supposedly one of the best for the money...

in what way is it difficult to setup?

I mean providing you have your ids to hand - then andriod's fine, I have had to reset mine up to clear some crap and google remembers all my ids and apps for me, what's the deal? setting up my missus' iphone was a faff purely because she was a first time user, I didn't judge it on this though. Actually major faff because it wouldn't connect to the time-server to get the right date because it was too out of date to validate against the server, found this out after much fiddling and navigated a menu to manually set the date. And until I had done that I couldn't get apps or updates. And every new id that I typed in needed a password, which is inevitable, except there isn't a 'view password' option so the amount of mistyped passwords I did was crazy on that tiny (non changeable) keyboard and even locked her out of her ms account and had to reset it with an email I had to check on my android phone. Not very Apple, not the legend of Apple at any rate. Oh and to connect it to wifi you have to type the whole wifi password in (again no option to see the password) - won't do quick connect to wifi no siree. Apple don't approve. Really difficult when you can't see what you're typing and it's one of those default BT long random ASCII codes. Got it right the 4th time I think.

in what way is it difficult to setup?

I mean providing you have your ids to hand - then andriod's fine, I have had to reset mine up to clear some crap and google remembers all my ids and apps for me, what's the deal? setting up my missus' iphone was a faff purely because she was a first time user, I didn't judge it on this though. Actually major faff because it wouldn't connect to the time-server to get the right date because it was too out of date to validate against the server, found this out after much fiddling and navigated a menu to manually set the date. And until I had done that I couldn't get apps or updates. And every new id that I typed in needed a password, which is inevitable, except there isn't a 'view password' option so the amount of mistyped passwords I did was crazy on that tiny (non changeable) keyboard and even locked her out of her ms account and had to reset it with an email I had to check on my android phone. Not very Apple, not the legend of Apple at any rate. Oh and to connect it to wifi you have to type the whole wifi password in (again no option to see the password) - won't do quick connect to wifi no siree. Apple don't approve. Really difficult when you can't see what you're typing and it's one of those default BT long random ASCII codes. Got it right the 4th time I think.

Not to setup, you just need a gmail account (much like an Apple ID), and bang your in.. There's just settings that are obvious on iPhone, but not on Android... I vaguely remember having a hassle with voicemail messaging, where to get it working properly, you'd need to get a paid app...

I personally buy my phones, as I find contracts are a rip off...I bought an iphone 6 for 265 quid off ebay a couple weeks ago...50 or 60 quid a month for Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge or iPhone 6s is bonkers IMHO...

I bought a moto g when I was visiting the US for a few weeks last year and I needed a pay as you go phone. It cost me 50 dollars and worked just as well as a 500 dollar iPhone. The only set up involved was turning it on.

I bought a moto g when I was visiting the US for a few weeks last year and I needed a pay as you go phone. It cost me 50 dollars and worked just as well as a 500 dollar iPhone. The only set up involved was turning it on.

This one was about 150 quid sim free...I'll give it its due, its got quite a camera on it (12 or 13 MP) if I recall..

Not to setup, you just need a gmail account (much like an Apple ID), and bang your in.. There's just settings that are obvious on iPhone, but not on Android... I vaguely remember having a hassle with voicemail messaging, where to get it working properly, you'd need to get a paid app...

I personally buy my phones, as I find contracts are a rip off...I bought an iphone 6 for 265 quid off ebay a couple weeks ago...50 or 60 quid a month for Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge or iPhone 6s is bonkers IMHO...

anything like voicemail setup, on either apple or android, usually just needs to download a parameter file from your mobile network provider for the exact phone.

of course with an iPhone they are so ubiquitous that every provider will have such a file for you, but for less common individual android phones, it's entirely plausible there might not be a file for your combo of phone and network and then you're in manual tweaking land.

I agree contracts at 50/60 a month are bonkers!

Additionally I chatted to a 3rd party repair chap recently and he said current iPhones have the higherst quality materials and components of anything currently - for a 2nd hand phone my wife's iPhone really is in superb nick, not sure I'd trust an Android 2nd hand by comparison. Dunno what others think.

50/60??? Surely not.

You could almost get a car on PCP for that!

I had a work 3gs that I bought off the company when I left and only (well 18 months ago) sent it to the phone scrapyard.

Currently using a new work phone - Microsoft 620. Works brilliantly, reads office files properly, WiFi calling works seamlessly (I live in the middle of nowhere), swappable battery, takes a micro SD card to get more space. Lovely phone.

The big Microsoft phone that's coming out looks really good. A display out so that when you plug into a monitor and connect a blue tooth mouse and keyboard you've got full windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/getstarted-continuum-mobile

I've generally seen a problem with lumia windows phones, from a few people who've had them, that they have poor build quality. However a phone that is also a desktop PC running windows. That is cool.

Same combo, got the carbon fibre Lenovo best laptop I have had and being in the biz used loads.

Had an iPhone from the beginning, and upgrade as new ones come out. Truth is I am lucky to have been paid and get paid to f*** around with tech all day every day

Many of the non iPhone camp sound like my engineers. The truth is its a complex world and the iPhone gives the illusion of simplifying it - as many have said marketing genius

For obvious reasons Si1 I am not technically lazy - shall we talk about data lakes or multiple vfr's across an MPLS? But an iPhone fan :)

Indeed. I was being deliberately provocative. Anyhow, in limited phone terms, you ARE technically lazy (for good reason to avoid faff), if not in other areas :)

Indeed. I was being deliberately provocative. Anyhow, in limited phone terms, you ARE technically lazy (for good reason to avoid faff), if not in other areas :)

Touché my friend and that's why I love this forum with interesting and witty people bantering have a great weekend

Touché my friend and that's why I love this forum with interesting and witty people bantering have a great weekend

You too.

50/60??? Surely not.

You could almost get a car on PCP for that!

I had a work 3gs that I bought off the company when I left and only (well 18 months ago) sent it to the phone scrapyard.

Currently using a new work phone - Microsoft 620. Works brilliantly, reads office files properly, WiFi calling works seamlessly (I live in the middle of nowhere), swappable battery, takes a micro SD card to get more space. Lovely phone.

The big Microsoft phone that's coming out looks really good. A display out so that when you plug into a monitor and connect a blue tooth mouse and keyboard you've got full windows 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/getstarted-continuum-mobile

Yep...it can easily be, especially when you factor in a data..and then you factor in insurance for 15 quid a month (because they've got you by the jaffers - you're still liable for the contract if the phone is broken over the two year contract)

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/pay-monthly-tariff.html#!/sort/t_rec_chrg_desc%7Ct_upfrontprice%7Ct_usg_data_desc/model/SAMS7EDGE32SIL

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/pay-monthly-tariff.html#!/sort/t_rec_chrg_desc%7Ct_upfrontprice%7Ct_usg_data_desc/model/APPIPH6S16SG

Wow. I thought the days of people even paying £40 a month were in the past.

I'm on contract for convenience but at a fraction of that price. New phone every two years where I rely upon the 18 year old assistants to tell me which is best at the time. I know the make of my phone but not the model.

I do however see the point of these top end phones. They are amazing pieces of kit and nice designs so good to look at. But buying them unlocked is surely the thing to do, even if you have to get a loan to do it.

I've generally seen a problem with lumia windows phones, from a few people who've had them, that they have poor build quality. However a phone that is also a desktop PC running windows. That is cool.

I've had three now in different jobs and the early ones were pants (when they were Nokia Lumia) but the windows phone 10 generation are really good. I'm on a 640 at the moment and I was going to take the sim out and put it in an old iPhone but I decided to try it for a few days and I really rate it now.

£130 - miles better than my iPhone (course you can't play any fart apps but for working with Ms office on the move it's brill)

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/Microsoft-Lumia-640/productID.315162600

I'm on a sim only deal at £7/month for 1gb which covers me fine. 50/month is mental. My 3 year old Nexus 4 is getting a bit f#cked now though from general abuse.