House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Insurance ...

Someone's mother has carers come in to look after her. One of the carers has fallen in the house and solicitors are now involved.

None of the insurance she has (buildings, contents) covers her for this accident apparently - is this normal or is the insurance company being funny?

Do you need special insurance for having people come in to your home like this?

I would say that her employer has suitable employer's liability insurance in place if going to care for people in their own homes is part of the carer's job

edit to add

that there is a duty to take reasonable care that there is not an unreasonable risk in the home for any visitors

Depends on whether the carer was employed directly by the individual, was self-employed or was employed by an agency.

Agency I believe. Which would I assume put all liability on them to ensure place safe as place of work etc

the risk assessment he has already asked for. One of his jobs involved risk assessing work placements so he knows the right things to ask.

Employers without question. They should have in place a Personal Accident insurance policy for their staff. Because if they don't then they are paying a hell of a lot of money.

Your friend's mother will only have any liability if she has been mentally negligent; like digging a big hole in the hall and putting a rug over it.

I know no more than others replying from ignorance here.

But you'll need to sort out some more detail. Why is it not covered by regular third-party liability in household contents insurance? If it's an employment situation, who is the employer?

I should've thought the most likely problem arises if it's employment and the employer is the householder (which is something that might be arguable). But how would I know?

Individuals who employ a paid carer or personal assistant

If you employ a carer, whether through direct payments, individual budgets or personal funds, then you need to have Employer’s Liability Insurance (ELI).

If you are using a self-employed carer, then you are not required to have ELI as the paid carer must have their own insurance in place, but it is still advisable to err on the side of caution and get yourself insured. Always ask to see the insurance certificate of a self-employed carer before allowing them to work with you.

Care providers need comprehensive insurance policies in place to ensure that both clients and staff are protected fully in the workplace.

--

Just another thing to add to the trauma of needing care.