House Price Crash Forum
rollover

Warren Buffett Ready To Make His Move On Britain’S Housing Market

Warren Buffett’s investment vehicle hopes it can replicate the success of its US estate agency service in Britain.

A For Sale sign linked to Warren Buffett could soon be appearing in your neighbour’s garden after the real estate division of the famous investor’s company Berkshire Hathaway announced plans to move into UK market. Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices is a national real estate chain that operates solely in the United States using a franchise model that comprises 14,000 agents across 1,200 offices in almost every state in the country. Now the company is setting its sights on the wider world. By the end of the year Berkshire Hathaway HS plans to have a team operating in London. The Times

Warren Buffett’s investment vehicle hopes it can replicate the success of its US estate agency service in Britain.

A For Sale sign linked to Warren Buffett could soon be appearing in your neighbour’s garden after the real estate division of the famous investor’s company Berkshire Hathaway announced plans to move into UK market. Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices is a national real estate chain that operates solely in the United States using a franchise model that comprises 14,000 agents across 1,200 offices in almost every state in the country. Now the company is setting its sights on the wider world. By the end of the year Berkshire Hathaway HS plans to have a team operating in London. The Times

Geriatric bloodsucker feeding off the young.

Was hoping this was about him adopting some form of short position on uk housing when I saw the title.

Dissapointed.

Was hoping this was about him adopting some form of short position on uk housing when I saw the title.

Dissapointed.

My thoughts too. One doesn't enter a business sector unless they too think they can make money and the market is still set to continue to allow him to make money.

The only plus i can see is that his entry will be competitive -> reduced fees -> better for sellers ????

Yes, but one also doesn't enter a business sector that is currently mired at a transactional level that is a fraction of what it has been historically. My guess is he reckons transactions are about to pick up dramatically, and he's got some new business model up his sleeve that he thinks will win hime a big piece of the pie when it happens.

Hard to tell, but it's not inconceivable that he's looking to make money into a crash by offering something different to the competition. Also not inconceivable that he thinks the credit taps are about to turn into a fire hose, but I honestly doubt that on the basis that most borrowers are already maxed out.

It's a franchise so doubt much of their own money will actually be invested. I was at a franchise show in London last year and Century 21 were pushing their very similar model (and American too). In fact I get the impression Century 21 spend more time/money marketing the franchises than they do the houses on their books.

Buffett can only be expecting transactions to increase dramatically. What could possibly cause that reaction?

#crashycrashy #longwaydown

It's a franchise so doubt much of their own money will actually be invested. I was at a franchise show in London last year and Century 21 were pushing their very similar model (and American too). In fact I get the impression Century 21 spend more time/money marketing the franchises than they do the houses on their books.

Some Yank outfit moved into the UK at the peak of the 89ish boom. It may have been C21 - I remember seeing their boards all over the shop. They stood out as they used the term "realty" or similar. I thought they'd died with the crash.

Warren Buffet quote:. Wall Street is the only place people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway.;)

Warren Buffet quote:. Wall Street is the only place people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway. ;)

I don't quite get the inference. Are the people in the Rolls Royce the patsys? Or does the smart money not buy Rolls Royces? not being intentionally dense here btw

Some Yank outfit moved into the UK at the peak of the 89ish boom. It may have been C21 - I remember seeing their boards all over the shop. They stood out as they used the term "realty" or similar. I thought they'd died with the crash.

Century 21 are pretty big in Australia. In fact, I thought they were Aussie since that's the only place I'd seen them.

Century 21 are pretty big in Australia. In fact, I thought they were Aussie since that's the only place I'd seen them.

Osborne to announce negative gearing? (Joke...hopefully)

I don't quite get the inference. Are the people in the Rolls Royce the patsys? Or does the smart money not buy Rolls Royces? not being intentionally dense here btw

I wonder how he's feeling about his stake in Tesco?

He sold them all in 2014. From memory he lost around £300m on Tesco