House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Working Long Hours Is Good For You: If You're A Man

Interesting stats and correct conclusion IMHO - the answer lies in non-work demands.

Scaling back your out-of-work demands in response to a surge in workload is not an option if you have a family and have the main parenting responsibility which usually falls upon women.

Clearly there are many other factors such as salary, job satisfaction etc. etc.

Working long hours harms women but protects men, study shows
16 June 2016 • 5:35pm

Women who put in long hours in their careers greatly increase their risk of developing life-threatening illnesses, including heart disease and cancer, a new study has shown.

Work weeks that averaged 60 hours per week or more over three decades were found to triple the risk of diabetes, cancer, heart trouble and arthritis, according to new research from The Ohio State University.

The risk begins to climb when women put in more than 40 hours and takes a decidedly bad turn above 50 hours, researchers found.

Crucially the same pattern was not seen in men. In fact, they got healthier the longer they worked. Researchers believe it is because women face additional pressure in their home lives.

“Women – especially women who have to juggle multiple roles – feel the effects of intensive work experiences and that can set the table for a variety of illnesses and disability,” said Dr Allard Dembe, Professor of health services management and policy.

“People don’t think that much about how their early work experiences affect them down the road,” he said.

“Women in their 20s, 30s and 40s are setting themselves up for problems later in life.”

Men who worked long hours had a higher incidence of arthritis, but none of the other chronic diseases.

Surprisingly, those men who worked moderately long hours, 41 to 50 hours weekly, had lower risk of heart disease, lung disease and depression than those who worked 40 hours or fewer.

Women tend to take on the lion’s share of family responsibility and may face more pressure and stress than men when they work long hours, previous research shows.

Work for women may also be less satisfying because of the need to balance employer demands with family obligations, Dr Dembe added .

The researchers analysed data from interviews with almost 7,500 people over a 32 year period.

Previous research has shown that workers who put in long hours face more stress, have more sleep and digestive trouble and are more fatigued. Their work performance suffers and they have more injuries on the job.

The research was published in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/16/working-long-hours-harms-women-but-protects-men-study-shows/

Other research shows that men are also just better at handling stress etc. Probably because men are designed for hunting, killing, survival etc etc. Our entire body is built for stress in a way - hence massively more muscle, much bigger organs etc etc.

Well I suppose I don't get that much stress at work but beats me how being there longer (mostly looking forward to going home) could be any good for me.

who the hell works more than 60 hours per week on average over 3 decades?

Sounds like ****** to me

People who lie about their hours! I've worked standard 50+ hour weeks on projects for months at a time but when it turns into a standard week and then starts peaking over 60 hours I am out of there. I don't do 50 hour weeks any more.

But there's work and work. Sitting behind the counter of your own shop reading the paper while waiting for the occasional customer, sceurity guards doing similar, that's a very easy way to spend 60 hours without exhausting yourself. It's whether it drains you or just bores you.

This article should be forwarded to all HR departments. Most of them call themselves "investors in people". So, surely they'll be willing to publicise it widely so that hard-working women of Britain know all this.

Next thing to look at is why employers are officially banned from relying purely on job applicants' IQ levels.

It's from the Telegraph, which these days is only one small step up from the Daily Wail clickbait

Poor people have poor health and die younger

Poor people work on 0 hours contracts or don't work at all

moral: don't be poor

Similarly

Rich people retire early and live a comfortable/luxury retirement and also live longer

This article should be forwarded to all HR departments. Most of them call themselves "investors in people". So, surely they'll be willing to publicise it widely so that hard-working women of Britain know all this.

Next thing to look at is why employers are officially banned from relying purely on job applicants' IQ levels.

It's because a certificate showing your IQ (doesn't exist), might as well be a testimonial to your "niceness", for all the good it does. You don't get offered a job just because you have certificates.

It's because a certificate showing your IQ (doesn't exist), might as well be a testimonial to your "niceness", for all the good it does. You don't get offered a job just because you have certificates.

Am I the first person to get an inkling that MrPin is an alt of another famous HPCer?

The phraseology and cadence in the quoted post really reminds me of someone else.

Am I the first person to get an inkling that MrPin is an alt of another famous HPCer?

The phraseology and cadence in the quoted post really reminds me of someone else.

I am all to everybody. I am a fictional voice on the Internet. I am a reflection. That is all. :huh:

I have worked silly hours for short/medium periods most of my working life ,i will regularly work (not of late worst year ever) 70- 90hr pw for a month or two at a time punctuated by anything from a week or so off to a month or so never done me any harm i just see it in the same light as concentrated orange juice same amount just in a smaller can

Domestic existence can be very stressful for men. It's better to be out and about, achieving success and earning money.

Whatever for? Whilst the mess the country is in these days means lots of people probably need to be out earning money for long hours just to get by when you get much beyond that it just starts looking pointless. As for success, that just looks like the constant search to find self-esteem boosters, pursuing it for it's own sake is sad.

"Investors in people" sounds rather like "slave dealer", which is a good description of HR departments.

Other research shows that men are also just better at handling stress etc. Probably because men are designed for hunting, killing, survival etc etc. Our entire body is built for stress in a way - hence massively more muscle, much bigger organs etc etc.

Er, not sure how handy all those manly muscles are when it comes to an extra hour in the office slaving over hot PowerPoint.

Whatever for? Whilst the mess the country is in these days means lots of people probably need to be out earning money for long hours just to get by when you get much beyond that it just starts looking pointless. As for success, that just looks like the constant search to find self-esteem boosters, pursuing it for it's own sake is sad.

I'm not suggesting it's a good thing that men are this way, merely that they are. You can't fight human nature. When men are unemployed or in low paid/status work they tend to lose self respect and get depressed. Women less so as they have other options and their identity is more about who they are rather than what they do.

Well I suppose I don't get that much stress at work but beats me how being there longer (mostly looking forward to going home) could be any good for me.

Once I'd ditched the commuting and the world travel, work itself was pretty relaxing for me. If I'm brutally honest, I was largely paid to sit around drinking coffee and talking to people. OK, this chatting was in offices and conference rooms but it was never remotely tough.

People who lie about their hours! I've worked standard 50+ hour weeks on projects for months at a time but when it turns into a standard week and then starts peaking over 60 hours I am out of there. I don't do 50 hour weeks any more.

But there's work and work. Sitting behind the counter of your own shop reading the paper while waiting for the occasional customer, sceurity guards doing similar, that's a very easy way to spend 60 hours without exhausting yourself. It's whether it drains you or just bores you.

Agree, there has to be over-exaggeration in a lot of these hours and hours worked is quite subjective. Personally I consider my hours to be my door-to-door hours, it is the only consistent measure I have in a varied work pattern. On Tuesday this week I was up at 03:00am and back at 10:30pm (19.5 hour day) yet technically I did about 3 hours actual work (continental business trip). I was up again the following day at 5am and back at 19:30pm, I probably did about 3.5 hours actual work between a few site visits. Other days I was in the office doing around 8 hours (actual work).

I really don't get how people manage 70 hours of actual work. Personally beyond 50 hours I find it a real struggle to fit anything else in my life once I have factored in standard Mon-Fri commute time (10-15 hours) and tasks I need to get done at home (food shop, washing, cleaning, ironing etc.). I can only imagine these people forgo 6 to 8 hours of sleep, something I have no desire to do for extended periods of time.

Work is certainly good for you. How much and what work is the million dollar question.

I think as some have said this result might be because people who work more are richer, and richer people are healthier.

However, from first hand experience in the IT industry I saw people going bald and grey and generally burning out by the time they were 30 when they took it all too seriously and worked far too hard.

I think it depends on the nature of your long hours - perhaps if your an entrepreneur of some sort that competitiveness results in a boost in testosterone and general well being, but being a cubicle slave for 12 hours a day for months on end will just make your sick and old before your time.

I think it's good to have a job to go to - but I'd support a 6 hour working day. 9-12, an hour for lunch, and then 1-4 sounds about the maximum that I'd be happy with - mind you those 6 hours are actually spent working, not arsing about. I bet lots of people could get their actual work done in 6 hours or less a day.

I think as some have said this result might be because people who work more are richer, and richer people are healthier.

However, from first hand experience in the IT industry I saw people going bald and grey and generally burning out by the time they were 30 when they took it all too seriously and worked far too hard.

I think it depends on the nature of your long hours - perhaps if your an entrepreneur of some sort that competitiveness results in a boost in testosterone and general well being, but being a cubicle slave for 12 hours a day for months on end will just make your sick and old before your time.

I think it's good to have a job to go to - but I'd support a 6 hour working day. 9-12, an hour for lunch, and then 1-4 sounds about the maximum that I'd be happy with - mind you those 6 hours are actually spent working, not arsing about. I bet lots of people could get their actual work done in 6 hours or less a day.

Agree. It depends on the nature of work. I could probably drive 10 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week without too much bother - I really enjoy driving (drive regularly for work and can do 5+ hours straight no problem before a site visit then back again). Could I do those 70 hours in the office (sat in front of my desk) so easily? Absolutely no way. Constant harassment by never ending phone calls, e-mails and all the usual corporate politics would slowly lead to the death of me. Long hours at home (own business/contractor) working at a pace I had elected for myself with any accrued benefits lining my own pocket then possibly..

6 hour day would be fine in most cases in my opinion. Work tends to expand to fill the available time. You can make yourself very busy. Dozens of hours of every month for me are wasted reading internal e-mails (and replying to acknowledge), useless meetings etc. Cutting out all the fluff and allowing people to focus on their jobs would be great.

Once I'd ditched the commuting and the world travel, work itself was pretty relaxing for me. If I'm brutally honest, I was largely paid to sit around drinking coffee and talking to people. OK, this chatting was in offices and conference rooms but it was never remotely tough.

The work itself is fine, sometimes even interesting, it's just being stuck there for several hours a day for five days a week that makes it grim. That's not living IMO, and I'm not even doing long hours (under 40 a week, not counting lunch). I'd probably be less pissed off with the whole pointless technology and automation thing if it actually meant shorter working hours as a result (there would be a point to it then), but that seems to have stopped happening and gone into reverse for a lot of people. Three days a week sounds about right to be honest, but I probably wouldn't be able to pay the bills off that.

I'm not suggesting it's a good thing that men are this way, merely that they are. You can't fight human nature. When men are unemployed or in low paid/status work they tend to lose self respect and get depressed. Women less so as they have other options and their identity is more about who they are rather than what they do.

Unemployed or low paid is going to the opposite extreme though. Being constantly after more wealth once you've reached a point where you're not struggling just looks like someone who'll never be satisfied but constantly thinks that the next big expensive thing will be, and pursuit of career and success comes across as nothing more than insecurity. Sure, I can see why there's a bit of instinctive behaviour that pushes people that way but not recognising that and still going for it is really, really pointless and shallow.

I pissed off my boss a few years ago in the pointless annual appraisal thing by saying I'd no interest at all in career "progress" after he'd been going on about this and that to do to get it. No-one has yet offered me an explanation as to why I should want this "progress". Sure, as much as I go on about constantly being after more money I wouldn't turn it down if it came no strings attached, but it mostly seemed to involve having to do more stuff I don't want to do.