House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Isambard

Best Backup Solution

Hello All

Currently have a macbook pro with a OneDrive two way sync on my mac (every time i change something in the cloud it does the same on my Mac and vice versa) . I have 50GB spare on my drive on my mac

Should have gone google drive but there you go. I am pretty happy with the setup and of course have my android phone backing up to one drive when I am out and about taking photos. Currently have 50GB in the cloud and using around 30GB of it currently so 20GB spare.

I was getting very smug with myself thinking everything was ok, but then I thought what if a hacker or a mistake delete of whatever cleared one drive out. It would then sync back to my Mac with me unawares and destroy my backup methodology!

I had abandoned an external drive methodology as they tend to break after a while like any hardware i guess. You may laugh but i once had 3 150GB drives which I had in various locations and backed them up on a Full every year (basic but seemed to work like a primitive DR scenario)

I have no mission critical data on my drives just photos and music which of course I treasure.

I am thinking I should just buy another external drive and do the FULL backup every year just in case. This won't be that expensive and is very easy.

Am I going about this wrong and can anyone improve on what I am doing? Any advice appreciated.

We now live in a time where data needs to be safe and secure so I thought it would be a post to provoke some discussion.... I have virtually no hard copies i.e photos printed in the last 10 years.

Someone you used to get it on with. Still in contact. Flirt occasionally. Probably not your best looking ex but not too shabby. You've always got on well.

Crashplan - been using it for about 4 years. Slow upload speed is the only drawback, but great price for unlimited storage especially. I've tried all the cloud backup providers and returned to Crashplan every time.

The NAS Raid caddies seem to be the best option now. They often crop on on hotukdeals as a special price but sell out quickly.

Basically, they are NAS that you can put 3 to more drives in, RAID them up and away you go. They are an expensive solution though still IMPO.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with buying TWO external backup drives and simply ensuring that you regularly backup to both. Chhance of both failing at the same time are remote.

dropbox

you can access previous versions of files for 30 days (or longer if you pay)

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/113

What is extended version history?

Extended version history (EVH) is available to all Dropbox Pro and Dropbox Education users as a subscription add-on.

By default, Dropbox saves all deleted and previous versions of your files for 30 days. If you purchase EVH, you can revert to a previous file version or recover a deleted file at any time within a year of an edit or deletion made after your purchase.

The NAS Raid caddies seem to be the best option now. They often crop on on hotukdeals as a special price but sell out quickly.

Basically, they are NAS that you can put 3 to more drives in, RAID them up and away you go. They are an expensive solution though still IMPO.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with buying TWO external backup drives and simply ensuring that you regularly backup to both. Chhance of both failing at the same time are remote.

No. Im very anti-RAID after quite a few experiences.

RAID protects you against drive failure. It is not a backup solution.

You are fcked if the RAID controller goes - your data on the disk is stored in a proprietary format.

Go for ZFS. Run the pool over 2 or 3 disks.

The disks can be put into another machine and read.

There is no prop. hardware between you + your data.

I do an external drive monthly and OneDrive as my backup strategy. I don't do the whole image via OneDrive, just our music, photos etc. It's a manageable 600GB total at the moment (I subscribe to Office365 so we get a TB each).

No. Im very anti-RAID after quite a few experiences.

RAID protects you against drive failure. It is not a backup solution.

You are fcked if the RAID controller goes - your data on the disk is stored in a proprietary format.

Go for ZFS. Run the pool over 2 or 3 disks.

The disks can be put into another machine and read.

There is no prop. hardware between you + your data.

ZFS, unraid or snapraid are all sensible solutions to protect yourself from raid controller failure (they don't use raid) and single or multiple disk failures (unraid has a beta dual parity option, snapraid offers multiple parity options).

All require using cheap computer (either something you already have or a HP ProLiant MicroServer) as the NAS rather than a NAS device (which may give you the same problems a failed controller does)...

Problem with RAID is if there is a natural disaster (unlikely I know) fire water.

Better off clouding imo i only have a small amount of data to backup however.

Thanks for the replies

IIRC we use some software called "JungleDisk" on one of our servers which is essentially a front-end for Amazon Web Services. Costs almost nothing, very "point and click" and works nicely.